Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2016 4:40:23 PM EDT
I come here because you guys will understand my dilemma  Whereas other people don't quite...."get" the Sig rifle love.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Sig 550, I always thought they were a gorgeous, perfect gun.   BUT.....an original in the $5,000 range was out of the question.   The 556 was a possibility but the stars never aligned and I got into AK's BIG TIME.

Perfect compromise, I found a Sig 556R gen 2.  I got it, I loved it.....BUT.....

It's not a 550.....accuracy was worse than my two primary AK's (556R groups around 3.5", both AK's will do 2.5" with the same ammo), it's heavier than my AK's.  And the stock is......not the same.  I got to fondle an original 551 at a gunshow and the feel is so drastically different that....my 556R just isn't the same.

Cash is tight, and I'd like to stock up on some more ammo, magazines,etc. before the upcoming election.

the 556R is in like new condition and I'd like to get maybe $1200?? out of it, but I can't decide....

Externally it LOOKS........sorta....like a 550.   I love the look and feel of the action.    And I just don't know if I'll ever be able to afford a replacement/type of Sig 55-whatever rifle......

It's basically a safe queen as any normal "fun" shooting I ALWAYS grab something else.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I would  keep it.  I am also a big AK fan, but I just kinda sorta consider mine AKs as they have very similar internal components.  

Also it is unlikely ammo will be manned, magazines sure, and I know everyone here is always like "you can't have enough magazines or ammo".  But honestly how many magazines do you need?  How many can you carry into combat?  10-15 maybe.  Obviously there is armying family members and such but still you don't need 100 AK mags realistically.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I have adequate magazines    More wanting some other magazines for like my 9mm carbine that takes glock magazines,etc.  shoring up the weak points across my collection,

And personally I worry/believe that if Trump wins, an Obama EO or an early Klinton order will be banning ammunition imports, at the very least from Russia, of which my steel case stuff is heavily reliant on.  

But I'm deliberating....wait for all the input from my peers
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't shoot mine much either, but I'm going to keep it.  You just never know.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought these guns were 1.5 MOA guns when they first came out?  Is his gun the avg or a fluke?

Personally I think I'd keep it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Most reports say about 2" with average steel case.  I know another guys whose gun won't shoot better than 4.5".

I've tried, Wolf, Golden Tiger, Brown Bear, Ulyanovsk,etc. even brass-cased S&B, all averaged about that 3.5" mark.    

That's the disappointing part.

If I save it, I'll strip the optic off, and after the pre-panic buying, I may try to pick up a set of Swiss Diopter sights for it......make it look to "original" as possible and trimming weight off of it.

Guess wait, if panic really starts and prices skyrocket....maybe then.  

Took it out and shot it this evening.   Doesn't feel bad.....first time I've fired it in about a year.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Sell it, find a SIG 551A1, and put a set of Aurora or MFI rear diopter to replace the Airsoft grade crap that Sig went with and call it a day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I ditched mine, because Sig no longer supports it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]
JDI Firearms is importing the real Swiss  SG553R in 7.62x39 if you want the real deal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Sell it during the height of the next panic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JDI Firearms is importing the real Swiss  SG553R in 7.62x39 if you want the real deal.
View Quote

DAMN........I won't have the cash even after selling the 556R but that may have just made up my mind.  I had no clue that was happening (I do live under a rock).

I been thinking I'd maybe get a 553 in 5.56 and SBR it.....

I think I'll sell my 556R, use that cash to buy stuff I'll want here and there, and then use my once-a-year paycheck (Paid once a year every January) to buy a REAL Swiss 553 of some sort.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

DAMN........I won't have the cash even after selling the 556R but that may have just made up my mind.  I had no clue that was happening (I do live under a rock).

I think I'll sell my 556R, use that cash to buy stuff I'll want here and there, and then use my once-a-year paycheck (Paid once a year every January) to buy a REAL Swiss 553 of some sort.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wanted to pick up a SAN 553 R myself, but when I found out they were also bringing in real deal SG751 SAPRs - I ordered one of those instead.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Just ditched mine in a trade for a Vepr 12 and a Sig P229. I only bought it because I could not find an ACR and then
I suppressed it and the gas to the face was crazy. Later I picked up an ACR and the Sig just sat in the safe. So me not
Shooting it combined with the gas to the face and the fact that Sig no longer supports it made me drop it from the lineup.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my 556xiR.

(Pictured with my 556 Patrol.)

It feeds 7.62x39 from AK mags, but with better ergos and optic mounting options than an AK. Plus it makes a sweet SBR!

It can also be easily suppressed. My local gunsmith made the adjustable gas block work for suppressed and non-suppressed.

Helluva rifle!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I found a compromise.

Sold/selling my AMD65 (already sold it for $850).  Taking my 556R with me to the gunshow in case I can find an absolutely NEEDA HAVE gun there along with the cash.  If not, I won't push hard to sell it.

If prices go insane in a panic (not really seeing that happening) I'll sell it and wait for the bubbub to die down and buy a 553.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 556R and love it. Accuracy is not a problem. I put a Primary Arms BDC scope on it and have no problems hitting soda cans at 200 yards. Your location will be a factor on how much you can sell your gun for. As said earlier, Sig no longer supports the 556R or the 556 Classic and you may have trouble selling it. The last one I saw for sale at a local gun show had a price tag for $800.00.

On the subject of magazines, I'm one of those who think you can never have too many. Too many politicians are trying baby steps to take away our guns. Some states have magazine restrictions with limited capacities. In the states that people were allowed to keep the "high capacity" magazines before the bans, the prices for those shot through the roof. I've watched the classifieds and seen older 17 round Glock magazines sell for more than $100.00 each.

If you're an avid shooter or competition shooter, sooner or later those mags will wear out. Then what? I plan to keep on shooting till everything I have wears out to the point it can't be repaired (like my Sig rifles that Sig no longer supports).

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I don't think I'd have too much of a problem selling for a decent price.  I can ship if I have to.   And there's a few big rollers around, like I said, AMD65 for $825 is a large chunk of change for most people.

See, that's the thing: I wish my 556R was comparable to the largest percentage of them.   I REALLY, REALLY wanted it's accuracy problem to be me, but I can make my AK's and anything else shoot good, while the 556R does "okay".   I mean it's not horrific, but for being a pound heavier,etc. I'd like it to have SOME advantage.

As for AK magazines: I have plenty.  A GREAT plenty.  I do plan on acquiring more AR and 30+ round glock magazines.  

I guess see what the gunshow brings, If I could get a bullpup out of the 556R+Cash I'd go that route maybe.  I like the compactness of SBR's but don't care for the hassle (yeahyeah I know not a hassle) along with the ballistics of a long barrel.    Got to handle one recently and It really turned me on to them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Well the gunshow came and went......I didn't trade it off.....

I almost did...

There was a Sig 551A1 with a quad railed forend, original handguards, sights, bayonet and 4 mags for $1550.......I picked it up and held it and it still felt like a cheap plasticky gun....

Think I'll keep it for now, if I can get a good price out of it I may get rid of it but won't be TRYING to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top