Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/12/2016 10:02:12 PM EDT
Seeing a couple videos online such as MilitaryArmsChannel's problems with Sig QC on their new rifles has me leery of any Sig rifle that's not a MCX.
Wondering how the quality on the Sig 556 Classics are. And why did they discontinue selling them?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the primary reason they discontinued them is so they would not compete with their new MCX. Also, so that any QC reputation they had for that line would not end up associated with MCX production.

They were decent rifles. I'm sure you know this, but the whole US 556 and 551-A1 product line are basically just cheap copies of the Swiss SG 55X line. SIG Sauer USA had them produced as inexpensively as possible, and used many outsourced MIM parts in their production (as they have done with pretty much every product post-2004). Initially, this led to problems with charging handle catches snapping off, or detaching at the rivet. There were also some gas system problems with the first 556 rifles (orifice size mainly). All these problems were resolved AFAIK prior to the time they started putting the "Classic" label on 556 production. In general, a US production rifle is not going to have the same longevity and high QC as a Swiss rifle, but that's always been expected/known. Most end users are not likely to experience a problem with the mainstream production examples of 556 and 551-A1, from what I've observed.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine runs like a sewing machine....

Eats everything....not one jam ever
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Same with mine. I SBRed a 556P and though heavy for an SBR, it's been flawless.

Sample size: 1
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the 556 is the story of the perfect storm.

Sig knew there was a demand in the states for a 55X model carbine, but they also knew that the market would not support a $4K+ niche platform when it was already flooded with ARs. They had a price point they wanted to hit so they took the old, heavy, outdated, proprietary and expensive to manufacture design and "value engineered" it into the 556 and brought it to market. The first guns were good and used some Swiss parts, but they were still too expensive and "not what the consumer wanted". So Sig proceeded to value engineer them again, replacing all of the Swiss parts with cheaper US parts so now the guns were completely domestic and as cheap to produce as Sig could make them. It was this second sweep of value engineering that caused most of the reliability issues that people reported. Sig worked out these issues over time and the 556 line became reliable once again... but in my opinion at that point the damage to its name was done. People associated the 556 with fish gills and failure rather than the mythical 55X series the market "wanted". So Sig blew out the existing line in a big fire sale and again redesigned and value engineered the 556 line into the XI line, adding features they thought would push the rifle over the top to break it out of its middling sales (like caliber conversion). It doesn't help that Sig also sells their own AR clones and now the MCX line as well, resulting in a crowded in house line that not only competes against itself but against the rest of the market.

And then as kind of a final nail in the coffin, the original Swiss SAN decides to start bringing in real 553 guns again and it turned out the market COULD support a niche $4K+ weapon when it was handled right.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait, what? SAN imported actual Sig rifles from Europe?! And they're the same quality as the ones their military uses? What was the price on them? They still import them??
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wait, what? SAN imported actual Sig rifles from Europe?! And they're the same quality as the ones their military uses? What was the price on them? They still import them??
View Quote

I'm not sure if they are actively still importing any but they are still floating around on GB in the $2.5K to $3K range.

They only brought in the new SG553 as a "pistol" (carbine with no stock) in the iron sight and top rail variants, no full rifles (I assume for import restriction reasons). They were the newest production models with the black finish and aluminum lowers.

Several different companies brought them in, with Sig Sauer as one of them. I imagine we will never ever see actual SAN rifles in the country again due to import restrictions and costs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok... I may just order myself one of those.
Are the proper stocks available for use after SBRing it??
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The stocks are floating around in the aftermarket, I don't think Sig USA stocks or sells them anymore. They kind of purged their parts department of all 55X / 556 parts a little while back.

You can always order the SAN stock straight from Switzerland if you have the wallet. Gunfactory.ch has people who speak english and they are willing to ship to the US. That is where I got a few parts for my build a few years ago.

Consider that you will need 922R parts as well.

I built mine from a Sig USA 556 Patrol carbine.

All said and done it wound up costing me about as much as just buying one of the SAN 553's.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2.  I plan to add my Saker556 soon.  Hopefully its not too gassy/overgassed since it already slings the empty brass into the next county lol.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not a fan of my 553 clone suppressed. I tried it with two different rifle cans and both resulted in a noisy, gassy experience. I know people who have the custom gas valves claim the gun is much more enjoyable with them, But I don't have one. I just don't use my cans on it as mine is a very poor host.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been very happy with my 556 classic. I'm very disappointed that Sig decided to discontinue any support or repairs for it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been very happy with my 556 classic. I'm very disappointed that Sig decided to discontinue any support or repairs for it.
View Quote

I have a Sig 556 and have been okay with it although I think I paid too much when it came out.  If Sig has discontinued support for this rifle then I will never purchase anything from them again.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

this sums up mine too !!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a Sig 556 and have been okay with it although I think I paid too much when it came out.  If Sig has discontinued support for this rifle then I will never purchase anything from them again.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm under the impression that is the case.

I've ordered 556 specific parts directly from Sig several times and the last time I called them up to order some spares they were out of stock on nearly all of it and the rep told me they did not intend to restock. "When it is all gone, it is gone" where his words. Now, the parts that overlap between the classic 556 and the newer 556xi they still stock... but the old stuff is long gone.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Almost exactly

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I have put about 300 rnds through my 556 with no problems.  I love the platform.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I had one, it was very reliable.

The trigger was terrible though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of my 553 clone suppressed. I tried it with two different rifle cans and both resulted in a noisy, gassy experience. I know people who have the custom gas valves claim the gun is much more enjoyable with them, But I don't have one. I just don't use my cans on it as mine is a very poor host.
View Quote

Any information on where to get a custom gas valve?  I'm a bit hesitant to mess with a good thing though.

I may use an AAC M4 Mini suppressor instead of a Saker556. Its much smaller than other 556 suppressors and that smaller size also lets more gas exit the barrel.  I may be taking a chance on damaging the M4 Mini since I think they're rated for 14" barrels minimum, not 10.5" like my sbr'd P556.  I love the platform and mine's been solid for a few hundred rounds, as a pistol.  Can't wait to add the folding stock when my NFA form gets approved.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#19]
If I remember right it was someone over on Sig forum who was doing the conversions to user provided gas valves. He would drill out the opposite side of the valve, making it into a four position valve. That was a long time ago though, relatively speaking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Any information on where to get a custom gas valve?  I'm a bit hesitant to mess with a good thing though.
I may use an AAC M4 Mini suppressor instead of a Saker556. Its much smaller than other 556 suppressors and that smaller size also lets more gas exit the barrel.  I may be taking a chance on damaging the M4 Mini since I think they're rated for 14" barrels minimum, not 10.5" like my sbr'd P556.  I love the platform and mine's been solid for a few hundred rounds, as a pistol.  Can't wait to add the folding stock when my NFA form gets approved.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there was a member over on sigarms556 that was making the custom gas valves.  i picked one up and it really helps tame the action but like JsARCLIGHT i find the sig not to be as good of a host as my ar's.  i still run my 556 suppressed most of the time as the gas doesn't really bother me unless i'm at an indoor range.
the mini 4 is rated down to 10" barrels so your good there , that thing is built like a brick shithouse.  if you sbr'd a p556 you should have a 10" barrel
here's a pic of the gas valve , this one was a swiss valve with the gas ports added on the opposite side.  with a can or not mine stays on the smallest port.

sbr'd p556 and a mini 4

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:48:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I just sold my unfired xi and asked atf for a stamp refund as I never did anything to it as I was waiting for factory parts...  I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting much support from the factory for any version of the 55x series guns.  At least stateside, you guys with 553 guns will probably have better luck shopping overseas for parts.

I don't think I will ever buy another Sig long gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've ordered 556 specific parts directly from Sig several times and the last time I called them up to order some spares they were out of stock on nearly all of it and the rep told me they did not intend to restock. "When it is all gone, it is gone" where his words. Now, the parts that overlap between the classic 556 and the newer 556xi they still stock... but the old stuff is long gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little off topic, but I called Sig customer service earlier this year and asked why the did not offer parts kits specific to the 516/716 platforms or even 716 uppers. The girl who took my call said that was on the agenda to offer those soon. Have checked their web site a few times since. Other than 516 uppers which they offered already at the time of my earlier call they had nothing else specific to the 516/716 platforms.

It just seems strange they would offer little to no product support  in the way of uppers/parts specific for those two platforms.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
They couldn't even provide information on selling a replacement 551 recoil spring to me, and I called them as a LE armorer.

They also had no idea about compatibility between action springs for the SG 551, 551-A1, and 556. Fortunately I got my answer right here on this forum. (They all use the same spring, but after 2011 Wolff put a newly-designed single coil spring into production for SIG USA.)

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, that sucks.  I have Classic 16" and a factory Classic SBR.  They've been great thus far.

I've never been able to track down the parts kits to have on hand just in case.  :(  Now they're no longer available?  WTF

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#25]

FWIW, opticsplanet has the various 556 parts kits listed as "Estimated to ship in 14-25 days."  I've never ordered from them before, so I have no idea if this is accurate or if I'm just spinning my wheels.

They seem to be the ONLY place on the internet that don't show them as Sold Out/Discontinued/SIG USA Says GFY.

Hurry up and wait.

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Do Not hold your breath on Optics Planet "Estimated shipping times" they are wild assed guesses.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Do Not hold your breath on Optics Planet "Estimated shipping times" they are wild assed guesses.
View Quote

Do they ever mark anything as Out of Stock?  I would have thought these parts kits were long gone everywhere, why even have an "estimated shipping time?"

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do they ever mark anything as Out of Stock?  I would have thought these parts kits were long gone everywhere, why even have an "estimated shipping time?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been sitting on an order that showed "In Stock" since may 15th, no w shows 2 to 5 months.
It went up almost every week.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've been sitting on an order that showed "In Stock" since may 15th, no w shows 2 to 5 months.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they typically charge your card even though they don't have the item(s) in stock??  They've charged my card...

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do they typically charge your card even though they don't have the item(s) in stock??  They've charged my card...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They told me they don't charge until it ships.

Lucky you!

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I just had a machine shop start building an adapter for my 556 classic to take the MCX folding stock.  Can't wait to play with that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Lucky you!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lucky you!

The charge shows as Pending (since Friday) but I receive an email from Optics Planet yesterday saying, "We're processing your order," and "Estimated to ship in 14-23 days."

I'm not holding out much hope.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where did you hear that they discontinued support for them?  They have a life time warranty.  That is somewhat unsettling.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where did you hear that they discontinued support for them?  They have a life time warranty.  That is somewhat unsettling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a 551a1 in Feb of this year and called in to fill out the warranty info to get the 20% code for some MPX mags.
They told me they still warrantied it if I had any problems because I was asking for a lead on mags for it.
Guy told me they had a boatload of mags and were working on getting them updated into the system because they were extremely sought after.
Don't know when they will put them up for sale but I've talked to at least 3 guys there that have told me the same.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#36]
What's the going price for a newer Sig 556 patrol?

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I have no beef with mine at all, it has 1,800 flawless rounds thru it. If i could only have one combat carbine and sell the rest, i would keep my 556. It would be my SHTF rifle
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg428/mcwherterj_photos/image_zpsi2sniokd.jpeg
View Quote

That rifle is just screaming "I want to be an SBR!"
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Hopefully I only have another month for my Form 1.  I love my SIG 556.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg428/mcwherterj_photos/image_zpsi2sniokd.jpeg
View Quote

Not sure if it helps but I got mine for $950, factory refurbished.

I love mine but i don't trust the iron sights on it, the rear is the Sig USA version and seems flimsy. Plus I had to crank the front sight almost to the end to the left. Anytime I try to mount an optic I have a hard time zeroing and give up. I just wish I could find good iron sights for it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#41]
MFI has "replica" SAN sights.  I think Samson and MI have sights too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Optics Planet parts kit update:

Felix: I don't show the item is in stock.

Felix: We expect the items currently in January of 2017

Felix: We do apologize for the delay. Is there a replacement item you would consider or would you like to keep holding

View Quote

Derp

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My information that they no longer supported the 556 classic came from Sig customer support. I called them to ask about a part and they said "we no longer have any parts and do not provide support for the 556 classic".

If you look at their website, they have the 556 in the "discontinued" section.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Well I finally got my Sig FDE collapsing/folder!

Waiting on the order since May 15th, 6 calls, 6 different shipping estimates even though it showed "In Stock" at time of purchase.
Last week on the 20th I checked and still nothing, called and Sue told me Sig said by Oct 3rd if not by that date then 1st quarter 2017.
I saw that the Sig FDE stock said "Only 2 left order soon" so I had her check it and sure enough there they were.
She had me pay for it and told me "It'll ship tomorrow."
I decided not to hold my breath, but lo and behold I got an email with a shipping confirmation on the 21st and got it in hand on the 23rd.

Guys around here claim that Botach has horrible CS, shipping times, stock availability, etc.
I have never had a problem with Botach, longest I ever waited was a week and they always had what they said.

Optics Planet can suck it, I will never buy from them again.
The only reason I kept the order open was they had it listed the cheapest and I had a coupon code, $172 OTD.

CSB and all just had to let you guys in on it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#45]
These rifles are very under rated, and I think, somewhat misunderstood. I have a 556 Classic and a 551A1 both are excellent and flawless. Plus I got them on sale and got a deal. I believe they had some quality issues at first, but fixed it pretty quickly. My 556 falls into the serial number range of possible problem rifles, but as I said, is perfect. You should be so lucky as to own one of these fine, unusual rifles. This system is designed to work in cold Arctic shitty Swiss weather...and it does! Having said this, so does my 516.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I think the 556 design is the best 223 combat rifle design on the market.  I have a gen 2 Classic Swat (w/ Swiss stock) that I bought new through GB for $1045 - I haven't seen a new one for sale since, but a few used in the same price range:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/600368314
These rifles were $2400 when first introduced by Sig.  Their "blowout sale" that reduced the price by roughly $1000 ruined the used market for the rifles, and ruined many Dealer's opinions of Sig's marketing strategies, as many of the rifles sitting on dealer's shelves at the time were purchased for more than the new MSRP, forcing the dealers to lose money.
As for the rifle itself - the rotary sight on rifle is not particularly conducive to accuracy, though it may perform better with glass.  It is fun to shoot and the ergos are good, though the rifle is somewhat heavy.  The piston system keeps the chamber and action amazingly clean compared to both AKs and ARs.  The rifles are overgassed like a bastage, which does make for very reliable operation, but beats on the action and smashes the brass on the way out, so reloading is dubious (after-market gas tubes with reduced port diameters are now available).
If you want one, the rifle in the GB ad above is in good shape and is pretty much a bargain in today's market if the price doesn't rise much.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The stocks are floating around in the aftermarket, I don't think Sig USA stocks or sells them anymore. They kind of purged their parts department of all 55X / 556 parts a little while back.

You can always order the SAN stock straight from Switzerland if you have the wallet. Gunfactory.ch has people who speak english and they are willing to ship to the US. That is where I got a few parts for my build a few years ago.

Consider that you will need 922R parts as well.

I built mine from a Sig USA 556 Patrol carbine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/IMG_0155_zps1xtii8ul.jpg

All said and done it wound up costing me about as much as just buying one of the SAN 553's.
View Quote

Dang it. I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#48]
im in the market for a sig551a1 if anyone is thinking of parting with theirs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#49]
I have always liked my 556 swat. It has run flawlessly.  I wish I could get the Swiss stock for it, but it isn't in stock. 

I also have an MSAR AUG clone. I guess I have a knack for buying rifles that have no support.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have always liked my 556 swat. It has run flawlessly.  I wish I could get the Swiss stock for it, but it isn't in stock. 

I also have an MSAR AUG clone. I guess I have a knack for buying rifles that have no support.
View Quote

here you go.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_47/1608101_sig-556-swiss-folding-stock.html

Let me know if you see a Swiss 551 hand guard for sale.  Need 1 more.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top