Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2016 2:04:06 PM EDT
This is a SIG 551-1 LB.

Here is set-up in all Green furniture, Grey finish with a quad-rail handguard with a SureFire M951 tactical flashlight and a MagPull forward grip and a receiver mounted rail to accommodate a Aimpoint sight.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The '-1' stands for a 1" in 10" rifle twist and the 'LB' for Long Barrel, as it has a 16" barrel vs the 14" of the standard 551. The longer barrel has military applications and is meant to fire rifle grenades. It seems it was a request of the French Military for their Special Forces. Brazil's Air Force SF's also adopted the same rifle.

It is a selective fire weapon with a 4 position safety/selector including a 3 round burst capability, that re-sets itself after any number of shots are fired in any given burst. It has a rate of fire of 750rpm in either full-auto or burst mode.

It has both 20 and 30 rounds magazines made in high resistance translucid plastic. The magazines may come with or without the studs to clamp them together. It seems the Swiss Special Forces, now adopting the new 552 LB/Stgw 04, requested their magazines to be made without the clamping studs as they may be a nightmare to extract/insert from/to their issue ammo pouches:

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
FOLDING STOCK:

PISTOL GRIP:

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]

AMBI SAFE/SELECTOR, BOLT OPEN DEVICE AND MAGAZINE RELEASE:

SIGHTS AND NIGHT SIGHTS:

BARREL WITH RIFLE GRENADE RING AND GAS REGULATOR:

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Here the whole 550's Family with their different barrel lengths:

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting, the LB models are new to me. I've only seen the standard 550, 551, and 552.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My Sig 551 LB.  On the LB models, the barrel extends beyond the handguards the same length as the Sig 550 so they can launch rifle grenades as well as use the standard Stw90 bayonet.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Sig 551 LB.  On the LB models, the barrel extends beyond the handguards the same length as the Sig 550 so they can launch rifle grenades as well as use the standard Stw90 bayonet.

http://i65.tinypic.com/29ok9jq.jpg
View Quote

I has envies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top