Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2016 4:43:48 PM EDT
Is there anything I'm missing while trying to remove the A2 extension from the 556 receiver?  I don't see anything else that seems to be in the way of it just spinning off but it seems to be on really tight.  I'm guessing the treads have loctite on them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Should just unscrew.  Got the stock off already?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  And that's what I thought.  It should just unscrew.  But that thing is on tight.  I actually wound up twisting the actual end off with a stock wrench, so that's a first.  I'm guessing if the factory doesn't use loctite, then someone else did.  Because it certainly looks like there is some on there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I read someplace to soak in water for 24 hours to weaken the red thread locker.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  It came off, but I destroyed the tube in the process.  Which wasn't a big deal since it was being replaced with a carbine tube.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
How did you get it off eventually?  Did you just torque it off?  I have the same situation.  I want to put a carbine tube on and can't get it off.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I heated up the rear of the receiver and wound up using a vice grip.  It appeared they did use loctite.  There are no hidden pins or anything holding the tube on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I heated up the rear of the receiver and wound up using a vice grip.  It appeared they did use loctite.  There are no hidden pins or anything holding the tube on.
View Quote

If it is red loctite that was used, it is released only by heating the area.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well yeah.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top