Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2016 10:22:22 AM EDT
I want a semi-auto MPX-SD (suppressor buried under rail, telescoping stock) .  What is the best way (configuration to start with) to get to the finished product?  MPX (no stock), shorten barrel, buy telescoping stock?  MCX, shorten barrel, etc. etc.  Confused over all of the configurations and don't want to waste money on things that I won't need.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The biggest fattest suppressor you can have under the rail is the Thompson machine SG-2.   Maybe a YHM wraith XL, but dont know much about those.   You probably want the 4.5" barrel, which is not due till March.   Either way you have an SBR, so you have two choices, get a 16" carbine with tele stock, form1 it, and buy a 4.5" barrel to swap.   Or buy a pistol in 8" (and cut it down if you want), form1 that,  and add a tele stock eventually.  

I went the carbine method.   I dont want to buy a MPX pistol brace I dont need, and I do want a stock in the short term.   I traded for a shorter handguard.   Depending on tastes, not sure which you want for your SD.  The tele stock was hard to find, but getting easier now.   I even wedged a piece of covered aluminum pipe under the rail for a temporary SD look:

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say start with the 8" MPX pistol. Then  send to have barrel cut to 4.5". Send out form 1 and form 4 right away! Hopefully you be able to find a tele stock!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say start with the 8" MPX pistol. Then send to have barrel cut to 4.5". Send out form 1 and form 4 right away! Hopefully you be able to find a tele stock!
View Quote

Yes, exactly what I'd reccomend too. My barrel is currently "in the process" of being cut down to 4" and rethreaded to 1/2x28. Then going to add a 3-lug for my Octane 45 and I'm set!

If you didn't want to cut, at some point in time Sig will offer the 4.5" option for around $327. If you're going that route, you could get the pistol or the carbine.

Also, check out the SilencerCo Omega 9k...looks like fun paired with an MPX.

Here's what mine will look like when I get it all back together next week...

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Make one
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, speaking of MPX-SD...anyone who has a suppressor should try a box of HUSH 165gr 9mm....WOW....is all I can say. I shot a mag of my regular American Eagle "pretty quiet" 147gr to get a baseline and then loaded up 5 rounds of the HUSH 165gr, I immediately had an ear to ear grin.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a carbine version available that already comes with the telescoping stock?  I'd have to cut the barrel down anyways, so there is no difference between 16" and 8" (unless the gas system is set up differently??).  Seems like starting with the carbine might be cheaper.

EDIT:  Strike that- It looks like the carbine version uses a different gas system.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there a carbine version available that already comes with the telescoping stock?  I'd have to cut the barrel down anyways, so there is no difference between 16" and 8" (unless the gas system is set up differently??).  Seems like starting with the carbine might be cheaper.

EDIT:  Strike that- It looks like the carbine version uses a different gas system.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure they're the same; although I've not yet checked. I have a pistol and a carbine. Where did you find this info??
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure they're the same; although I've not yet checked. I have a pistol and a carbine. Where did you find this info??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word from shot show over at Sig Forum from shot show is that the 15" carbine barrel has a smaller gas port, and so should not be cut less than maybe 8".   I want to hear from someone who has actually done it!   I expect in a couple months, enough Form1s of carbines will come back and we will have some real data.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I did the pistol, cut the barrel, cut the hand guard and was lucky to get a stock from sig pretty early.

If I was doing it today I'd try for a carbine (to secure a collapsible stock)  and by the time my stamp arrives maybe 4.5" barrels will be on the market and if not then have the barrel cut.

I'm not a fan of the can under the hand guard, I guess I like the MP5 look.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Word from shot show over at Sig Forum from shot show is that the 15" carbine barrel has a smaller gas port, and so should not be cut less than maybe 8".   I want to hear from someone who has actually done it!   I expect in a couple months, enough Form1s of carbines will come back and we will have some real data.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both of my barrels were recently removed/re-installed with fresh Loctite. Next time I have them apart I'll try to remember to check to gas port sizes to see for myself.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I did the pistol, cut the barrel, cut the hand guard and was lucky to get a stock from sig pretty early.

<a href="http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/Johnharden810/media/AB40AD6F-AA54-4C98-AA80-78C72D8CA17D.png_zpspocwe134.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/AB40AD6F-AA54-4C98-AA80-78C72D8CA17D.png_zpspocwe134.jpeg</a>

If I was doing it today I'd try for a carbine (to secure a collapsible stock)  and by the time my stamp arrives maybe 4.5" barrels will be on the market and if not then have the barrel cut.

I'm not a fan of the can under the hand guard, I guess I like the MP5 look.

<a href="http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/Johnharden810/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/7DE11831-14C9-41E6-8183-F392FEB143A2_zpsnrkbhf8y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/7DE11831-14C9-41E6-8183-F392FEB143A2_zpsnrkbhf8y.jpg</a>
View Quote

Couldn't you just use paint pen to denote the defense ammo mag intstead of the giant sticker from the ammo box...guess if it works for you.  JAT

I traded back in my unused Gen 1 and went the carbine route. I will either purchase a 6" barrel to put under Lancer 10" CF hand guard or cut down original if 6" not available when stamp is approved.
Side note that FH sings like a tuning fork when fired and is so annoying strangers at range have commented or wondered wence should came!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I see no point in rewriting info that is already on a label and easily removed.

More stickered mags for you

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the pretty close to the combo I'm looking forward to running.

Mine will be the 8" handguard with 4" barrel and Octane 45 attached 3-lug. Then if I want to shoot unsuppressed, quickly detach the suppressor, pop the pin on  8" handguard and slide on the 4.5" handguard. MPX K ready to rock n roll, can run it suppressed that way too. I love how many different options there are/"will be" with the MPX. Sure makes it compact too!

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Best way to get an MPX-SD?

1) Purchase a pistol.
2) SBR it.
3) Send upper to innovative arms for an integral upper.
4) Wait for both stamps to clear.
5) Add stock of choice.

I have a cleared form 1 with the tele stock, but am still waiting for the upper to clear.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Mine will be the 8" handguard with 4" barrel and Octane 45 attached 3-lug. Then if I want to shoot unsuppressed, quickly detach the suppressor, pop the pin on  8" handguard and slide on the 4.5" handguard. MPX K ready to rock n roll, can run it suppressed that way too. I love how many different options there are/"will be" with the MPX. Sure makes it compact too!

<a href="http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Sgr_North/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsborzddd9.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/Sgr_North/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsborzddd9.jpeg</a>
View Quote

If you're going to run it like the pics, you may want to have a second front sight if you plan on running two handguards and hope windage is the same so you don't need to adjust the rear.

Edit: I only say that because you mentioned being quick in your post.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you're going to run it like the pics, you may want to have a second front sight if you plan on running two handguards and hope windage is the same so you don't need to adjust the rear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Sgr_North/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsborzddd9.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/Sgr_North/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsborzddd9.jpeg</a>

Yep, will have to pick up another front sight and see how it adjusts with the rear. I had an EOTech XPS2 on my MPX right after I picked it up last summer, but that went back for a refund in December. Just got my refund check this week, so am now looking for another optic. Probably a Trijicon MRO. So with that being the case, the irons will only be used as backup. But very good point, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1) Purchase a pistol.
2) SBR it.
5) Add stock of choice.

I have a cleared form 1 with the tele stock, but am still waiting for the upper to clear.
View Quote

What's the cost on the Innovative Arms integral? I watched a video and it looks like a pretty slick setup.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What's the cost on the Innovative Arms integral? I watched a video and it looks like a pretty slick setup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Purchase a pistol.
2) SBR it.
5) Add stock of choice.

On their website it says $2325!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#19]
How hot are your hand guards getting if running with the suppressor inside em? That's how I want to do mine with the Rugged Obsidian 45
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Purchase a pistol.
2) SBR it.
5) Add stock of choice.

I believe that's for a whole gun. I paid around the same price as a 9mm suppressor (around $800-ish) for the conversion on my upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top