Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If mine wasn't on a Form1, I would dump it. Pretty pissed at Sig on this one. Their caliber conversion offer better come with so e freaking mags.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I put my money where my mouth is today, sent off 2 more Form 1s for my CZ EVO and my SP89 clone, my SBR MPX is going to the back of the gun safe.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt that Gen 1 mags will be produced much longer. Right now they're saying that they'll continue pumping them out but really, why would they? It doesn't make any business sense. If you're going to produce a new generation of product that doesn't use an older magazine, why make them when through attrition the Gen 1 guns will be the smaller market segment.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I took the new MPX carbine to the indoor range today. I brought the 1 supplied Gen 2 mag and 3-Gen 1 mags, all loaded with 30 rounds of Freedom Munitions 124gr new ammo. I started with the Gen 2 mag and had trouble getting a round to chamber. The round wasn't being fully pushed out of the mag. I tried a Gen 1 mag and had the same problem with not being able to chamber a round. After messing with the mags and the gun for awhile, it started working. I attributed the problem with the strong new springs in the mags. I ended up running 220 rounds through the gun using both the Gen 2 mag and the Gen 1 mags. So, bottom line: the Gen 1 mags work fine in the Gen 2 gun.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 3 new never used 3 packs and will be sending them back to Sig for a refund and purchase the gen 2 when they become available. I plan on getting the gen 2 upper so better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Called Sig customer service again, and confirmed Gen 2 mags must be used with Gen 2 uppers.  Both Gen 2 uppers and mags will work with the Gen 1 lowers (9mm, .40, or .357).  All along I expected and understood the upper issue.  Needing new Gen 2 magazines is new and really sucks.
View Quote

So there is no mag issue with Gen 1 lowers.

Both variants will work with Gen 1.

You have just contradicted yourself.

Which is it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It is absolutely incorrigible that Sig is not offering a swap for every gen 1 mag sold if you buy a new upper.  Personally I think they should be swapping out each and every gun but this really takes the cake.

I got burned on the 556 and now this.  I'm done.  Called and cancelled the order for my stock today.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Apologies if this has been answered.  

Will Gen 2 magazines work in a Gen 1 MPX?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Apologies if this has been answered.  

Will Gen 2 magazines work in a Gen 1 MPX?
View Quote

According to Sig; No.  You would need a Gen 2 upper for the Gen 2 mags to work.

Real world - they *may* work.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The magazine/feed-ramp interface is upper/mag related, and it sounds like that is the compatibility issue.

From reading all the reports, there is NO such thing as a "Gen 1" or "Gen 2" lower, just an MPX lower.

The Gen 1 upper is only in 9mm and will only work with Gen 1 mags.
The Gen 2 upper is multi-caliber and only works with Gen 2 mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Called Sig customer service again, and confirmed Gen 2 mags must be used with Gen 2 uppers.  Both Gen 2 uppers and mags will work with the Gen 1 lowers (9mm, .40, or .357).  All along I expected and understood the upper issue.  Needing new Gen 2 magazines is new and really sucks.

Which is it?

The magazine/feed-ramp interface is upper/mag related, and it sounds like that is the compatibility issue.

From reading all the reports, there is NO such thing as a "Gen 1" or "Gen 2" lower, just an MPX lower.

The Gen 1 upper is only in 9mm and will only work with Gen 1 mags.
The Gen 2 upper is multi-caliber and only works with Gen 2 mags.

It has been reported that gen2 mags work in Gen1 guns

T
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I was told yesterday (11/19) by customer service that Gen 2 magazines will work with Gen 1 uppers.  This contradicts what I was told earlier in the week so I will believe it when I see it.  Still Gen 1 magazines will not work with Gen 2 uppers.

Edited for date
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was told by customer service that Gen 2 magazines will work with Gen 1 uppers.  This contradicts what I was told earlier in the week so I will believe it when I see it.  Still Gen 1 magazines will not work with Gen 2 uppers.
View Quote

Gen 1 magazines work just fine in Gen 2 uppers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was told by customer service that Gen 2 magazines will work with Gen 1 uppers.  This contradicts what I was told earlier in the week so I will believe it when I see it.  Still Gen 1 magazines will not work with Gen 2 uppers.
View Quote

Well..... Then in the Immortal words of Sgt Mike........we're in business!!  

I could'not care less about 40 or 357.....

And it seems to me that if you are going to run 40 or 357 SIG........  Would'nt you need .40 mags??   Last I checked my G17 mags do not hold
.40 rounds very well......

T

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I was under the impression sig announced that the gen1 was an early release to market and was not to be anything more than a non convertible 9mm, and would release a new version. Can gen2 mags have the feed lips modded/trimmed to fit?  The mag issue is the only issue and support I would be concerned about but I am not an owner, so ymmv.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I doubt that Gen 1 mags will be produced much longer. Right now they're saying that they'll continue pumping them out but really, why would they? It doesn't make any business sense. If you're going to produce a new generation of product that doesn't use an older magazine, why make them when through attrition the Gen 1 guns will be the smaller market segment.
View Quote

The biggest cost of injection molded parts is making the mold.  They can pump them out cheap until demand drops off.  Why not make money now?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is it?

Mag gen must match upper gen per earlier statements relayed from Sig.

Edited for clarity
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The biggest cost of injection molded parts is making the mold.  They can pump them out cheap until demand drops off.  Why not make money now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because the molds are the same except for the feed lips.

There is no change in the molds. It appears that Lancer is using the same mold for the Gen 2 mags and the only change is a different feed lip to be inserted when the magazine is made.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was under the impression sig announced that the gen1 was an early release to market and was not to be anything more than a non convertible 9mm, and would release a new version. Can gen2 mags have the feed lips modded/trimmed to fit?  The mag issue is the only issue and support I would be concerned about but I am not an owner, so ymmv.
View Quote

Can anyone point to this announcement?  Or was it a conversation someone had with a CS rep?  To my knowledge there is nothing documemented on the web or anyplace else that I have looked where Sig stated Gen I was an early release to market that would be followed up in less than a year with a Gen II.  If that was widely distributed many of us would have waited.  Especially if it was announced that there would be two different 9mm mags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I remember reading it on ar15 while standing in line at the post office that because of the delays they were to release a 9mm only non cal conversion to make it to market. I would have assumed that the later barrel swap versions would be neccessarly different by design. That DID not address specifics or design revisions though like the mags. That sucks. Can one remove the excess feedlip material and make a gen2 mag work with a gene upper or are there additional dimensional changes? That way at least one could mod mags if they go out of production.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Crazy question. With the proposed barrel/caliber change were we to use different magazines? .357 etc? Or are Gen2 mags multi caliber? Is this why Sig CS is saying Gen 2 won't work with Gen 1 uppers? But both work when using 9mm?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Crazy question. With the proposed barrel/caliber change were we to use different magazines? .357 etc? Or are Gen2 mags multi caliber? Is this why Sig CS is saying Gen 2 won't work with Gen 1 uppers? But both work when using 9mm?
View Quote

Nobody knows because SIG SUCKS and has not told us.  But somehow 10 different people are getting 10 different answers ( that change daily ) from idiots that are paid $12.63/ hr to answer the phone at SIG.    SIG needs to step up in a big way and clarify this on their website!

T
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#23]
The Gen 2 mags look like they would be easer to load. Could this be one of the reasons for the change?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Gen 2 mags look like they would be easer to load. Could this be one of the reasons for the change?
View Quote

I didn't really notice any difference in loading the Gen 1 vs the Gen 2.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you done any further range testing the mags?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!  Do you have a gen1 gun?  Do both mag types work in it?  I was told they will but not confirmed.....

If I could get a Gen 2 mag I would do it myself......

T
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I ponied up this week and bought a gen 2 MPX pistol; it should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.  So, now I'll have a gen 1 mpx and a gen 2 mpx with gen 1 mags and gen 2 mag to test.  I plan to compare both, shoot both, and post pictures of my findings, for science of course.   I love the mpx platform and I like Sig for the most part, even though I feel like I've been mislead in a romantic relationship.  Hopefully this will clear the air as far as the design changes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not yet. I want to take it to an outdoor range next, but it's raining here today.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There is no change in the molds. It appears that Lancer is using the same mold for the Gen 2 mags and the only change is a different feed lip to be inserted when the magazine is made.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How hard would it be to use a dremel tool on the Gen2, and do a "lip job" to convert it to a Gen1?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Hopefully it's not necessary to mess with Gen2 mags if the reports I have heard and info I got from a guy up in New Hampshire that frequents the SIG Factory and both gen's will work fine in a Gen1 gun.....

T

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, I ponied up this week and bought a gen 2 MPX pistol; it should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.  So, now I'll have a gen 1 mpx and a gen 2 mpx with gen 1 mags and gen 2 mag to test.  I plan to compare both, shoot both, and post pictures of my findings, for science of course.   I love the mpx platform and I like Sig for the most part, even though I feel like I've been mislead in a romantic relationship.  Hopefully this will clear the air as far as the design changes.
View Quote

did you have a chance to try this yet/?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't.  Its been raining almost every day that I've had off this week.  I'll note that the gen 1 did have difficulty cycling ammo through the gen 2 magazine, but I didn't fire any rounds.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Over on the MPX picture thread, Dsully has 20rds in the magazine.

Surely they are not selling the 20rd mags as just 30's with a restrictor in the tube. I would really like to see a short magazine to match the look of the 4.5 inch (K) model as pictured in the advertisements.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Gen 2 mags work fine in a Gen 1 MPX. I ran a Gen 2 mag 4 times through a Gen 1 MPX this past week without any problems.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#35]
But do gen 1 magazines work in gen 2 uppers?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
But do gen 1 magazines work in gen 2 uppers?
View Quote

Yes they do. So far I have not experienced any generation compatibility issues with any of my Gen 1 or Gen 2 magazines.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Gen 2 mags work fine in a Gen 1 MPX. I ran a Gen 2 mag 4 times through a Gen 1 MPX this past week without any problems.
View Quote

Thanks for the testing feedback, it's good to hear that gen 2 mags will work in a gen 1.  This has been my biggest concern.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the info.....because I am beginning to think that few at Sig know what will work with the different generations.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I just received a shipping notification for my 20 round magazine I ordered a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm surprised no one has already asked...when you get it can you let us know if it has gen 1 or gen 2 feed lips
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Will do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#42]
In regards to this I am so confused....
I tried gen one lower(sbr) with gen 2 upper with both gen 1 and gen 2 mags no dice.....
friggen ridicules. multiple ftf and grrr!

I just got off the phone with Sig customer service:

1. Gen 2 uppers and handguards are compatible with the Gen 1 lowers.

2. Gen 2 magazines are not compatible with Gen 1 lowers even if using a Gen 2 upper.

3. Gen 1 magazines are not compatable with Gen 2 lowers.

This seems to contradict some of the comments on TTAG. Customer service claims that Gen 1 magazines will continue to be manufactured for the foreseeable future. Sure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I tried gen one lower(sbr) with gen 2 upper with both gen 1 and gen 2 mags no dice.....

2. Gen 2 magazines are not compatible with Gen 1 lowers even if using a Gen 2 upper.

This seems to contradict some of the comments on TTAG. Customer service claims that Gen 1 magazines will continue to be manufactured for the foreseeable future. Sure.

View Quote

So you tried a GEN1 lower with GEN2 upper and it didn't work?

They say the lowers didn't change, so why wouldn't this work and why wont get2 mags work with GEN1 lower even if using GEN2 upper?

Makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm surprised no one has already asked...when you get it can you let us know if it has gen 1 or gen 2 feed lips
View Quote

My 20 round mag is a gen 1.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

i read this (bolded) over on one of the sig forums also..It does not make any sense at all to me especially when you consider they are giving gen 1 owners an upgrade offer on a caliber conversion kit.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Sig website states that the Gen II magazines are intended for the Gen II MPX. So, with that note, and looking at comments on this thread, a Gen I MPX will accept Gen II magazines and work just fine? Thanks for any clarification.

I received a Gen I MPX, born on date 10/26/15, I functioned checked it and all looked well, but when I got it home it was missing the piece to attach the SIG brace to the receiver . My fault and lesson learned when dealing with Sig Sauer guns.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a Gen II MPX and just got some mags that were supposed to be Gen II, but were Gen I. It seems like from reading this thread that Gen I mags work fine in a Gen II gun. Now that it has been a couple of months, does anyone have any updated range reports? Are Gen I mags GTG in a Gen II gun?

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a Gen II MPX and just got some mags that were supposed to be Gen II, but were Gen I. It seems like from reading this thread that Gen I mags work fine in a Gen II gun. Now that it has been a couple of months, does anyone have any updated range reports? Are Gen I mags GTG in a Gen II gun?
View Quote

As I've stated before, Gen I mags work fine in a Gen II MPX. I've run over 1000 rounds through my Gen II MPX in Gen I mags.  The only thing you might experience with either Gen mag is tight springs causing mis-feeds from the first 3 rounds until the mag springs loosen up a bit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sig is really getting on my nerves! I dont ever have my stock yet and my gun is already obsolete! Wtf i guess thats what i get for being a ginnie pig! Wont make that mistake again. Never thought id say this but i should of gotten a scorpion
View Quote

Yep, Sig really messed up on this one. I didn't buy one but I'd be really pissed if I did.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yep, Sig really messed up on this one. I didn't buy one but I'd be really pissed if I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sig is really getting on my nerves! I dont ever have my stock yet and my gun is already obsolete! Wtf i guess thats what i get for being a ginnie pig! Wont make that mistake again. Never thought id say this but i should of gotten a scorpion

I OWN one and have had no issues. It's become my favorite platform.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top