Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/16/2015 10:46:54 PM EDT
I read somewhere tonight that the MPX Gen 2 magazines were different than the Gen 1 magazines. I bought a new MPX Gen 2 carbine this weekend and I also bought 5 additional magazines. The extra magazines I bought are all Gen 1. The new Gen 2 magazines have elongated feed lips. Supposedly (but I'm not sure, because I don't have a Gen 1 MPX), the Gen 2 magazines won't work in Gen 1 guns. The Gen 1 magazines seem to work fine in my Gen 2 MPX.
" />

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you post pics of your Gen 2 mag feed lips next to the extra Gen 1 mags you got? I'd like to see the difference. I have Gen 1 gun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I posted a photo in the first post.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried to post a photo, but this site will only allow me to link a URL to a photo sharing site.
View Quote

Post a link and I'll upload it to the forum for you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll take those gen one mags off your hands.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#5]
"Post a link and I'll upload it to the forum for you."

I did in the first post.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Gen 2 is on the left
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Sig is really getting on my nerves! I dont ever have my stock yet and my gun is already obsolete! Wtf i guess thats what i get for being a ginnie pig! Wont make that mistake again. Never thought id say this but i should of gotten a scorpion
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe it needs to be tested first.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sig is really getting on my nerves! I dont ever have my stock yet and my gun is already obsolete! Wtf i guess thats what i get for being a ginnie pig! Wont make that mistake again. Never thought id say this but i should of gotten a scorpion
View Quote

If it still goes bang, it's not obsolete.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Sig is really irritating me and is making me think twice about keeping my MPX at all.

So FFS what now ?  Gen2 mags not compatible with Gen1 guns (and when I bought mine I did not even realize it was a "trial run till we get all the kinks worked out ).  

How long now till mags for Gen1 guns are no longer available ?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
If it is true that gen 1 mags and gen 2 mags aren't interchangeable with the the supposed gen 1 upper, I am going to demand either a shit ton of free gen 1 mags or new upper. My MPX is  already form 1'd, so selling it isn't and option. SIG really screwed up if they don't support their customers.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like the P250 all over again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#13]
So it would appear, if both gen1 and gen2 magazines will both work in my gen1 MPX when it's gen1 upper is switched out with a gen2 upper the solution for SIG ..........to take care f their gen1 customers would be to trade out our gen1 uppers for gen2's at no cost.  If gen1 magazines won't work in the above configuration (gen1 lower w/ gen2 upper) it's going to be a major issue.

Although I guess I shouldn't put the cart before the horse..... I haven't heard a peep on how soon SIG will be prepared to make gen2 uppers available for gen1 owners.

I'm really hope SIG does the right thing here.  I was planning on eventually getting a second MPX for the wife but if they don't fix these issues I will have to rethink that strategy.  I want to have two weapons with parts and magazine interchangeability.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like the P250 all over again.
View Quote

Yeah.  I was aware that there would be Gen2 guns, but now we're going to have to worry about Gen1 and Gen2 mags......  

And in other news they released a new P250 in 22LR the other day.......lol.   I'm starting to lose confidence.  Thinking a Scorpion might be the way to proceed at this time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Based on their past advertising and public statements regarding the MPX, SIG is going to have problems. Gun Buyers are generally a friendly and loyal lot. They can also turn on a dime.

This sounds like a class action suit in the making and one SIG doesn't have much defense against. From a reputation standpoint it's a disaster.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Are there any other sources of compatibility information besides TTAG?

I'm not sure longer feedlips would make the mag incompatible - but I'd like to hear it from a more credible source.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Can someone post the question on their Facebook page. I would, but don't Facebook.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got off the phone with Sig customer service:

1. Gen 2 uppers and handguards are compatible with the Gen 1 lowers.  

2. Gen 2 magazines are not compatible with Gen 1 lowers even if using a Gen 2 upper.

3. Gen 1 magazines are not compatable with Gen 2 lowers.

This seems to contradict some of the comments on TTAG.  Customer service claims that Gen 1 magazines will continue to be manufactured for the foreseeable future.  Sure.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Did they mention if magazine incompatibility is with 9mm or .40/.357mags? Seems to me 9mm mags should work with either Generation. I don't see in difference in mags except for feedlip length and the lowers look the same. I have an SBR Gen 1 lower so can use a 9mm Gen II upper with One or both generation 9mm mags?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Frankly the mag issue does not make sense.  

Why purchase a Gen 2 upper in .40S&W / .357 SIG for a Gen 1 lower if the Gen 2 mags are not compatible?  

On the flip side, why would Gen 1 9mm mags not be compatible with Gen 2 9mm firearms?  A poster on Sig forum said that the Gen 1 9mm magazines seemed to work fine in his Gen 2 9mm firearm.

I am not sure if Customer Service has the facts straight.  

What I want to know is if Gen 1 9mm magazines are compatible with Gen 2 9mm firearms and if Gen 2 9mm magazines are compatible with Gen 1 9mm firearms.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Frankly the mag issue does not make sense.  

Why purchase a Gen 2 upper in .40S&W / .357 SIG for a Gen 1 lower if the Gen 2 mags are not compatible?  

On the flip side, why would Gen 1 9mm mags not be compatible with Gen 2 9mm firearms?  A poster on Sig forum said that the Gen 1 9mm magazines seemed to work fine in his Gen 2 9mm firearm.

I am not sure if Customer Service has the facts straight.  

What I want to know is if Gen 1 9mm magazines are compatible with Gen 2 9mm firearms and if Gen 2 9mm magazines are compatible with Gen 1 9mm firearms.
View Quote

Yes exactly my thoughts and concerns.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Called Sig customer service again, and confirmed Gen 2 mags must be used with Gen 2 uppers.  Both Gen 2 uppers and mags will work with the Gen 1 lowers (9mm, .40, or .357).  All along I expected and understood the upper issue.  Needing new Gen 2 magazines is new and really sucks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#23]
My question as well
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I am perfectly happy with my MPX just being 9mm. So the gen 2 upper doesn't concern me. However, the nag issue is huge. How many suppliers are going to stock both Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags? Seriously, this sucks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#25]
So I can't change caliber, barrel length, and have to worry about different mag generations?

Explain to me how is this gun r-evolutionary?  I have never complained about being an early adopter but this is beyond ridiculous and I expect them to make it right.

They need to swap out each and every gen1 gun they sold.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Lot of conflicting info here regarding mags.  Frankly I think most of you are getting worked up a little prematurely.  

Edit: worked up regarding the possible Mag interchangeability issue.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Customer service said they had enough reliablity issues between the Gen 1 mags and Gen 2 uppers and vice versa that they do not consider them compatible. I really hope that is not the case but I do not think they would tell folks that knowing the kind of bad reaction it will cause.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]
So to clarify for myself cause I am getting confused here. According to CS there are no changes to the lower between generations? All that is debatable is mag compatibility with uppers. My concern being my form 1 lower is GTG for the future with added expense of Gen II uppers and mags for complete comparability and caliber change. Correct?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Well this sucks...  Looks like I'll be in contact with sig to figure out what is what (and waiting it out for more information from the community).  One would think that they would attempt to maintain as much commonality between generations as possible... Or did they know beforehand that this wasn't going to fly well.

either way I've got fingers crossed here...
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
My understanding is that the current Gen 1 lowers are good to go for new Gen 2 uppers.  The problem that I see is that your current mags are not officially compatible with new Gen 2 uppers / firearms and new Gen 2 magazines are not compatible with Gen 1 uppers.

So if you bought a bunch of mags expecting them to work with the Gen 2 PDW, that is a no go.  On the flip side you better get all the Gen 1 mags you might ever want for you Gen 1 upper if you don't plan on changing it out.  This really sucks for folks that have more than a few Gen 1 mags.  It also adds confusion to new buyers of Gen 2 firearms looking for spare mags and continues that confusion for both in the future.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#31]
and then LDD posted this earlier today on the Sig Forum:

"I have a customer with a Gen1 MPX lower and both Gen1 and Gen2 magazines--both work in his Gen1 lower.

No word back on upper/lower compatibility yet."

Hopefully we get a solid answer in the next few days.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I really hope that LDD is correct on the mags.  It would be really stupid on Sig's part for them not to be.  It could be they are reliable enough for semi-auto range use but not full auto defensive use?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll be taking my new Gen 2 MPX carbine along with the 1 supplied Gen 2 mag and several Gen 1 mags, to the range tomorrow. I'll report back as to whether there are any problems using Gen 1 mags in a Gen 2 gun. I don't think there will be because they insert and lock up and eject just fine when empty.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#34]
With gun, stamp, accessories, I have over 2 grand in the damn thing, I'll never buy another SIG product if the Gen 2 mags don't work in my firearm.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Sig needs swap out Gen 1 magazines with customers who buy Gen 2 uppers.  Personally I have too many Gen 1 magazines for them not to be compatible with future models.  

Texascavediver, good luck with your range trip.  I am very interested to see if you have any live fire cycling issues.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
To say SIG has totally botched the MPX with two different models of the same gun with "some parts fit some part don't, or they may fit but won't work right"  is a massive understatement.

We were actually in the design stages of a new magazine for the MPX, but will be walking away from the project entirely.  Our shop MPX gen I with 4 mags, unfired, will be on the EE tomorrow once I get pics of it.

I never try to speak ill of other companies in the industry, but here goes:  It is pretty obvious that just like the SIG 556, the SIG MPX is going to be "SIGfucked"  and have a many different non-interchangeable sub variations.  This is the exact same reason we got out of the aftermarket for SIG products 2 years ago.

They may as well have just renamed the gen 2 something different.

I have never seen a major company with such terrible planning and product strategy.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

This post inspires much courage
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Well this sucks...  Looks like I'll be in contact with sig to figure out what is what (and waiting it out for more information from the community).  One would think that they would attempt to maintain as much commonality between generations as possible... Or did they know beforehand that this wasn't going to fly well.

either way I've got fingers crossed here...
View Quote
P250 ring a bell?

The first generation in no way was compatible with the second generation.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I wonder how many government agencies are affected by this Gen1 debacle too?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I wonder how many government agencies are affected by this Gen1 debacle too?
View Quote
What, you think agencies actually adopted the MPX?

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe the Gen1 will be next lot of guns for sale as police trade-in's?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Surely some agency was sold on their bullsh*t claim of "modularity", "revolutionary", and greatest thing to happen to the submachine gun industry in 50 years.

I'm sure a quite a few agencies or PD's have an aging collection of MP-5's that SIG was trying lure into their camp, since the premier of the MPX at the 2013 SHOT Show.

They have had almost 3 years to dupe us into buying the Gen1 gun and its magazines, only to find out that its not as interchangeable as advertised.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#43]
They will offer an upper only, caliber conversion discount to us. How generous... ONLY for conversion kits.  

But if you planned on modularity(as advertised for 3 years) and adding barrel variety for your existing 9mm, you were thrown under the bus by SIG-SAUER.

Thanks SIG for supporting the thousands of guinea pigs who bought into your 9mm MPX project!
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maybe the Gen1 will be next lot of guns for sale as police trade-in's?
View Quote

I wouldn't buy one for more than $500 given that I'd need tp spend $1000(20/$50ea) on magazines for it to think I would be good on them forever.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Surely some agency was sold on their bullsh*t claim of "modularity", "revolutionary", and greatest thing to happen to the submachine gun industry in 50 years.

I'm sure a quite a few agencies or PD's have an aging collection of MP-5's that SIG was trying lure into their camp, since the premier of the MPX at the 2013 SHOT Show.

They have had almost 3 years to dupe us into buying the Gen1 gun and its magazines, only to find out that its not as interchangeable as advertised.

View Quote
PDs are going to ARs and not SMGs. The major of agencies don't see the need for pistol caliber SMGs.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#46]
What about the the agencies, governments, and units around the globe that are current owners of the MP-5 in 9mm and .40?

The venerable MP-5, albeit in a pistol caliber, has been the king of the hill in the SMG industry for 50 years.

That is the market SIG wants to capture, not the AR-15 platform user.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am perfectly happy with my MPX just being 9mm. So the gen 2 upper doesn't concern me. However, the nag issue is huge. How many suppliers are going to stock both Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags? Seriously, this sucks.
View Quote

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm very upset and wish I would have never bought my MPX. If it wasn't already SBRed I would sell it. I guess I'll just speak with my wallet and never buy another Sig product again. Again, I can't believe this just happened. I've never been so disappointed over something like this before.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So I can't change caliber, barrel length, and have to worry about different mag generations?

Explain to me how is this gun r-evolutionary?  I have never complained about being an early adopter but this is beyond ridiculous and I expect them to make it right.

They need to swap out each and every gen1 gun they sold.
View Quote

Absofuckinlutely!!!  They could have waited 6 months and made it right!!  

T
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:54:45 AM EDT
[#49]
What a load of shit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
To say SIG has totally botched the MPX with two different models of the same gun with "some parts fit some part don't, or they may fit but won't work right"  is a massive understatement.

We were actually in the design stages of a new magazine for the MPX, but will be walking away from the project entirely.  Our shop MPX gen I with 4 mags, unfired, will be on the EE tomorrow once I get pics of it.

I never try to speak ill of other companies in the industry, but here goes:  It is pretty obvious that just like the SIG 556, the SIG MPX is going to be "SIGfucked"  and have a many different non-interchangeable sub variations.  This is the exact same reason we got out of the aftermarket for SIG products 2 years ago.

They may as well have just renamed the gen 2 something different.

I have never seen a major company with such terrible planning and product strategy.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I'll have to say this is a real messed up situation for SIG. I really like the MPX even tho it costed a arm and a leg. It look great but with the defects, parts, and GEN's problem Go god.

Also thank you MANTICORE ARMS for the great folding stock for my m92 SBR it so great .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top