Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt that Gen 1 mags will be produced much longer. Right now they're saying that they'll continue pumping them out but really, why would they? It doesn't make any business sense. If you're going to produce a new generation of product that doesn't use an older magazine, why make them when through attrition the Gen 1 guns will be the smaller market segment.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't even try to blame all of this on people wanting Sig to rush the MPX. This is Sig's fault, clear and simple.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I totally agree with you on the magazine and upper non-comparability issue. That is absolutely pathetic.

But some of the folks who are bitching about Sig owing them a discount on an upper because they rushed to buy a gen 1 gun were some of the loudest voices around here demanding Sig release the MPX and were all in a tizzy when it kept getting delayed by "two more weeks". That is all.

Btw, I too purchased a gen 1 gun.

Don't even try to blame all of this on people wanting Sig to rush the MPX. This is Sig's fault, clear and simple.

Yeah! In sure they knew this all along. You don't test a gun for 3 years and then come out with a revised version in just s few short months. R&D doesn't work that way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
As someone who works for a company that manufactures new products, here's my take on all of this:

#1 SIG should have kept quiet about it, like they did on the MCX, until it was ready to be released.  We saw a quick snippet at the '14 shot show of some type of upper that would fit on AR-15 lowers, but that was it.  Once they were ready to release, they advertised for what, 3 months?  Shortly after, they released the first batch.

#2 As for engineering, it's not as easy as it seems, even to fellow engineers who have worked at developing new products.  Fastest manufacturing method vs quality of material vs cost of material is always the name of the game.  There were issues about the longevity of the bolts in the MPX.  We could make a bolt that would survive for 60,000+ rounds, but if it costs $800, it would be a very small market.  Look at the Triple Tap from KAC.  Everyone scoffs at the price of a $430 muzzle break.

#3 The Consumer is a lot more nit picky than .gov when it comes to the products at hand.  Finish blemishes and tooling marks are no big deal for government entities, but the consumer is saving their money for years to afford some of these items.  I get it, but I'm one who uses a $2400 KAC rifle as a "working" gun.  Its beat to hell and I don't moan and groan about it, unlike my buddy who is upset his bolt has wear marks on his Remington 700.

#4 Product that is forced out into the market early, usually due to the marketing department, ends up suffering in the long run.  Marketing sells these golden geese eggs, and engineering has to live up to it, in a very unlikely time frame.  Happens with my company all the time.  When the product is a smash hit, marketing and sales get all the glory.  When the item falls short of expectations, engineering goes through the ringer.  This is the famous "in 2 weeks" comment at SHOT.  Sales people making false promises, which gives the consumer an angry view of the company.  

#5 SIG is a small company.  I've seen their manufacturing plant.  It pales in comparison to my company, but we still have to do the same thing they do.  Sometimes a line shuts down to make another line of product.  This happens all the time.  This is why these guns are slow to trickle into the market.  Again, manufacturing a perfect product and designing a perfect product are two different worlds.

All in all, I'll say this.  I bought a SIG MK25, and couldn't be happier.  Its also a base product that has been around for several decades.  Grandpa taught me to be patient.  Never buy a first run of any manufactured product.  If those SIG 550 rifles that came into the US were actually shot, back in the 1980's, how many would you think probably would fail after a few thousand rounds?  We don't know, because they are collectors items now.  They were first run rifles.

Then again, I"m just a damn technician.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh, as long as i can buy a Gen 2 upper for my SBRd Gen 1 lower at some point, i dont care.  I've made more expensive mistakes than this before.  

I'm happy with the gun as is and couldn't possibly care less about .40 and .357

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I got good enough deal, so I bought a Gen II PSB for $1,460 from my LGS.   Now it is time for a red dot.    I am leaning towards the Vortex SPARC II, but am also thinking about the Sig Romeo...
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think I got good enough deal, so I bought a Gen II PSB for $1,460 from my LGS.   Now it is time for a red dot.    I am leaning towards the Vortex SPARC II, but am also thinking about the Sig Romeo...
View Quote

Never heard of the Romeo, but I like the Burris Fastfire on my 45/70
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the side folders release on the first iteration better than the new. The second version came on the first gens too. Where I live there weren't/aren't numerous MPXs available so fretting about all these choices is moot for me. Since last spring only six have come through shops near me in two states.  I have to agree it's a great gun. It's so accurate, minimal recoil, fit & finish is excellent. Suppressed it's very very quiet. Gas in face is same as shooting an un suppressed AR. Always feeds Winchester, Fed & PMC. Fits in a regular back pack. Our retro designed charging handle slop fix is maintenance free and flawless.

I get the customer service complaints and what they should and shouldn't have done. It will make me consider another purchase from them.

I'm enjoying it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell. I bought a gen 2 and sold my gen 1. Kept my mags. Problem solved. I lost maybe $70 overall on the transaction but it's worth it for my peace of mind. I'm not convinced by Sig and their statements about production continuing on the gen 1 mags. Nonetheless, I've dodged the issue now and someone else can worry about it. I'll keep this in mind for any future sig purchases.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
With so many Gen 1 & 2 threads going on I may have missed this.....

Is there any way to tell if you're ordering a gen 1 or 2 MPX from an online vendor? Or if the hens teeth (mags) you find online are gen 1 or gen 2?

I just placed an order for an MPX during a Black Friday sale from a local dealer. But the purchase had to be made online. I then scoured the internet to find some mags. Placed an order with Top Gun for 2 mags.

Could I have potentially boned myself by unknowingly buying what could be 2 incompatible generations? The MPX was advertised as an 8" pistol if that helps in determining the generation.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is there any way to tell if you're ordering a gen 1 or 2 MPX from an online vendor? Or if the hens teeth (mags) you find online are gen 1 or gen 2?

I just placed an order for an MPX during a Black Friday sale from a local dealer. But the purchase had to be made online. I then scoured the internet to find some mags. Placed an order with Top Gun for 2 mags.

Could I have potentially boned myself by unknowingly buying what could be 2 incompatible generations? The MPX was advertised as an 8" pistol if that helps in determining the generation.
View Quote

The mags you bought from Top Gun are Gen 1 mags. The Gen 1 mags will work in either a Gen 1 or Gen 2 MPX.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The mags you bought from Top Gun are Gen 1 mags. The Gen 1 mags will work in either a Gen 1 or Gen 2 MPX.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Received my mags today. You were correct, Top Gun supplied Gen 1 mags.

Also called up the LGS that I purchased my MPX from. After having them inspect their shipment, it was determined to be Gen 1 pistols. I'm ok with that.

All I plan on doing with this pistol is cutting down the barrel and filing for both a can and SBR. I have no desire to change calibers, so that's irrelevant to me. Also, having a keymod rail doesn't sway my opinion one way or the other.

I'll gladly take what I've got coming and shoot the snot out of it!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to the range today and tried my Gen 2 mag in a Gen 1 MPX. The Gen 2 mag worked great in the Gen 1 MPX.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went to the range today and tried my Gen 2 mag in a Gen 1 MPX. The Gen 2 mag worked great in the Gen 1 MPX.
View Quote

I'm glad to see multiple reports of reliable function. I can't see how there could be much difference in functionality between the two magazine generations other than changing the feeding angle of the round.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Posted over on another MPX thread here on Arfcom.

Quoted:
To say SIG has totally botched the MPX with two different models of the same gun with "some parts fit some part don't, or they may fit but won't work right" is a massive understatement.

We were actually in the design stages of a new magazine for the MPX, but will be walking away from the project entirely. Our shop MPX gen I with 4 mags, unfired, will be on the EE tomorrow once I get pics of it.

I never try to speak ill of other companies in the industry, but here goes: It is pretty obvious that just like the SIG 556, the SIG MPX is going to be "SIGfucked" and have a many different non-interchangeable sub variations. This is the exact same reason we got out of the aftermarket for SIG products 2 years ago.

They may as well have just renamed the gen 2 something different.

I have never seen a major company with such terrible planning and product strategy.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

Damn!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top