Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2015 4:39:01 PM EDT
Are the SG55x series rifles thought of any more with the 516 and 517  rifles and the MCX/MPX?
Or are they a good OLD design destined for nostalgia?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the 551A1 because I've always wanted one but couldn't afford the real thing before or after the ban, I figured it was the closest I would ever come to owning the 550 series design, strictly nostalgia for me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The classic SIG rifles are going to be dropped at some point. I guarantee it.

SIG is pushing the MCX as it's latest and greatest, and I could see it relegating the 516/716 to the back shelf. (It really is a better design). Unlike the ACR, it is already being adopted by some of the top units in the world and will do the "HK416" thing of being in tthe gun locker of every highspeed CT unit and SWAT team, while also actually being available for you to buy.
View Quote
That is a bit optimistic.  I don't see any reason to be that confident in the MCX at this stage in its existence.

It's an AR world and ARs are always the best choice for serious work. That being said, I have full confidence in my SG553.  It is the rifle I most enjoy shooting.  Most people that trash the 55x series can't afford them.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

SIG is increasingly defense oriented, while recognizing that their biggest customer is the US civilian market. You really don't make a lot of money, or reinforce yourself as a forward thinking modern arms company by selling an outdated design that really only appeal to collectors. There's little to no demand in the foreign arms market, and NONE in the western world for any version of the 550, 556, or XI. The global defense industry is hardcore wired for ARs and new rifles.

SIG is pushing the MCX as it's latest and greatest, and I could see it relegating the 516/716 to the back shelf. (It really is a better design). Unlike the ACR, it is already being adopted by some of the top units in the world and will do the "HK416" thing of being in tthe gun locker of every highspeed CT unit and SWAT team, while also actually being available for you to buy.
View Quote

kind of this, but I would add that their 716 has been redesigned into a G2 configuration so while I could see the 516 taking a back seat to the MCX/MPX line up, the role of the 716 is so that I think that It may almost serve sig as their center piece.  the 716 isn't "there" yet, but has a lot of potential.

love my first gen 556, but  after 10 years of running I am beginning to worry about spare parts, especially a second barrel as once that's gone, the gun is done.  its somewhat disconcerting that after 10 years, sig never made made spare parts a thing with the 556,
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The 556 and XI are hardly expensive top dollar rifles, and are probably the cheapest "not AR"/"not AK" rifles available. The swiss built guns (550/551/552/553) are great reliable guns, but heavier and less versatile than the AR platform. I'm not sure even if readily available they'd really be much more popular. Being defensive about the 553 and claiming "poor people hate it because they can't afford it" is intellectually dishonest and ignores the fact that in the end it's a collectors piece. Built by a company who is slowly withering, hasn't adapted to the times, and continues to build and sell (at a massively declining rate) outdated collectors pieces that have dropped severely in popularity world-wide with professional users. Plenty of people here would love a classic SIG rifle, but nostalgia doesn't build sales or produce new more capable firearms for professional end users.

If the SIG rifles have any future it would have to be continued by small HK-like custom builders. Seems there are a ton of choices for getting roller-locked HK clones, but I'm not sure the SIGs were ever popular enough to get that support to begin with.

Considering the reasonable cost of the MCX for a non-AR rifle (that drops right on an AR lower) and it's adoption and use already you'll see the platform grow. You're right, it's not at that stage yet, but in a few years I think the MCX will do very well both as a commercial rifle and the go-to choice of well funded high-profile LEOs. The standard AR will always be king, but I see the MCX taking over the role of the HK416.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a bit optimistic.  I don't see any reason to be that confident in the MCX at this stage in its existence.

It's an AR world and ARs are always the best choice for serious work. That being said, I have full confidence in my SG553.  It is the rifle I most enjoy shooting.  Most people that trash the 55x series can't afford them.  

The 556 and XI are hardly expensive top dollar rifles, and are probably the cheapest "not AR"/"not AK" rifles available. The swiss built guns (550/551/552/553) are great reliable guns, but heavier and less versatile than the AR platform. I'm not sure even if readily available they'd really be much more popular. Being defensive about the 553 and claiming "poor people hate it because they can't afford it" is intellectually dishonest and ignores the fact that in the end it's a collectors piece. Built by a company who is slowly withering, hasn't adapted to the times, and continues to build and sell (at a massively declining rate) outdated collectors pieces that have dropped severely in popularity world-wide with professional users. Plenty of people here would love a classic SIG rifle, but nostalgia doesn't build sales or produce new more capable firearms for professional end users.

If the SIG rifles have any future it would have to be continued by small HK-like custom builders. Seems there are a ton of choices for getting roller-locked HK clones, but I'm not sure the SIGs were ever popular enough to get that support to begin with.

Considering the reasonable cost of the MCX for a non-AR rifle (that drops right on an AR lower) and it's adoption and use already you'll see the platform grow. You're right, it's not at that stage yet, but in a few years I think the MCX will do very well both as a commercial rifle and the go-to choice of well funded high-profile LEOs. The standard AR will always be king, but I see the MCX taking over the role of the HK416.

while a great little carbine, its not the world beater that HK would love for people to believe. its never been able to distance its self from other high end AR's in terms of performance. the SEAL's love them but they also love Eotechs, a RDS that has an order of magnitude more issues than an aimpoint so go figure
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
while a great little carbine, its not the world beater that HK would love for people to believe. its never been able to distance its self from other high end AR's in terms of performance. the SEAL's love them but they also love Eotechs, a RDS that has an order of magnitude more issues than an aimpoint so go figure
View Quote

Which is why the MCX has a chance at filling that slot. It has a lot more things going for it than the 416. Folding/Sliding stocks, quick change barrels/calibers, etc. The 416 doesn't really offer a whole lot more than a MK18.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very true re: the 55x series and I say that as a huge collector/fan of the Swiss 55x. It is heavy, outdated with regard to accessories, lacks modern modularity and is expensive. I do feel that the 553 is one of the finest SBRs around, albeit very heavy for what it is.

I truly hope Sig USA can get their act together on the MCX. It certainly shows promise in the design. Hopefully Sig USA doesn't kill it by cutting corners to save production cost and neglecting QC/QA as they've done in the past. I would love to see them knock it out of the park with the MCX.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I recently spent some time with a 556R. I was shooting it side by side with a Maadi AK. The SIG was so much better in comparison that I was amazed.

With ARs and AKs so entrenched, it's tough for any design to overcome that inertia. There are lots of solid options out there. Find what you like, and learn to use it well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Swiss rifles are incredible.  Its 5% design and 95% quality and execution. This is something Sig USA does not get. They cut corners and have poor quality control.  

Also the 55x rifles are a very robust design in comparison to a lot of the modern  8 lug bolt short stroke designs.  

Their "downfalls" are that they are heavy, not uber ambidextrous, short on rail space, don't use NATO mags, and not set up for the ubiquitous AR height sights.

Having said all of that I still believe the Swiss 55x's are the finest assault rifles ever made.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]

That pretty much sums it up. I admire the sig 550 series guns. They have an attention to detail in craftsmanship I have not found in any other rifle in the same class. However they do so without truly bring anything to the table over rifles at a third of the price. They are nostalgic the same way a 1911 is. They are not what is late and great but they still work as intended just fine as long as you understand what you are getting.

Much like inkaybee said the 556 missed what made the original great and why they were so sought after. The SIG that built the 550 is not the one that built the 556.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That pretty much sums it up. I admire the sig 550 series guns. They have an attention to detail in craftsmanship I have not found in any other rifle in the same class. However they do so without truly bring anything to the table over rifles at a third of the price. They are nostalgic the same way a 1911 is. They are not what is late and great but they still work as intended just fine as long as you understand what you are getting.

Much like inkaybee said the 556 missed what made the original great and why they were so sought after. The SIG that built the 550 is not the one that built the 556.
View Quote

True.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I still want a 550, 551-SP, 553 and 553R though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
If the swiss guns are at all on your radar this is the time to buy one. Some of the 553 imports are still out there for an amazing price. They will disappear into collections soon and they will be out of reach much like the original imports from the 80s.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If the swiss guns are at all on your radar this is the time to buy one. Some of the 553 imports are still out there for an amazing price. They will disappear into collections soon and they will be out of reach much like the original imports from the 80s.
View Quote

Where are they and what's an amazing price? I'm looking at putting an SBR together. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Where are they and what's an amazing price? I'm looking at putting an SBR together. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ratworx had a few left a couple weeks ago when I ordered my SG 553.

They are selling for around $2800.  Talk to them on the phone and you may be able to talk them down a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top