Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 10:09:35 AM EDT
I've been toying with the Idea of buying a SIG rifle for a while, and the Cableas near me has a 551A1 for sale. After handling the rifle, I'm definitely  interested, but I don't know much about them, so I'm looking for advice? Are these decent rifles, and is their asking price of $1300 for a used one in good shape reasonable? In other words should I grab it or should I pass and keep looking?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Watch this video,

https://youtu.be/KuBGS6M4oJU

If you still want the gun you handled after watching the video, I would buy it.  It'll also give you some stuff to look for when looking at the rifle again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watch this video,

https://youtu.be/KuBGS6M4oJU

If you still want the gun you handled after watching the video, I would buy it.  It'll also give you some stuff to look for when looking at the rifle again.
View Quote

Thanks, that was informative. Still find myself torn on this one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I am happy with mine, especially after getting the MFI sights.  No problems with it and the best part is : It's not another AR-15 variant.  I like variety.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I am happy with the one I just purchased. With Federal XM855 I was reasonably accurate (offhand shooting) shooting at about an 8x8 or 9x9 target at around 100yd. I have the Aurora sights on mine which apparently more closely simulate the original Sig SG550 sights in both height and operation.

Overall, I really dig the rifle, it cleans easily and comes apart easily, the guts are very simple, and the trigger is weird but the video made it out to be more horrible than it is. It actually isn't bad, there is quite a bit of takeup with a crisp break, and that can be changed with a sear/spring kit I have seen floating around on the interwebs somewhere.

Buy one, OP. They are slowly creeping up in price, in a weird way they are kind of an oddity and somewhat collectible.

I plan on getting a 556 lower from somewhere so I can use AR mags with mine, just for compatibility's sake.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. Your responses and the ones in the other thread I started about this have me leaning more towards it. I put it on layaway yesterday afternoon to give me more time to research it and make up my mind.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I have nothing but good to say about both of mine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, did you end up buying it?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, did you end up buying it?

View Quote

Not yet, but I'm leaning heavily towards it. Even if I do decide to, it'll be Thursday afternoon at the earliest before I can make it back up there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Cabelas in Dundee?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cabelas in Dundee?
View Quote

It's the one in Columbus, OH
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one and liked it.  I'm a sucker for diopter sights...and couldn't get over how badly Sig botched them.  I unsucessfully searched high and low for a set of Aurora's before finally selling it.  Otherwise the rifle was great.  No issues feeding steel or brass cased .223/5.56.  I had a pile of mags to go with it as well.  The core of the rifle is nice....it's the little nitpick things like the sights that caused me to sell it in the end.  I actually contemplated buying another that was in the EE a while back with Aurora sights, but since I didn't keep any of the 30-some mags I had, didn't want to jump back into one at this point.

Looks like you're doing better than this Cabela's wanted for a used one.....

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Here is mine with the MFI sights.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s726.photobucket.com/user/CircRN/media/photo131_zpsxvhzpb4a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/CircRN/photo131_zpsxvhzpb4a.jpg</a>

Here is mine with the MFI sights.  
View Quote

MFI got around to making a diopter rear sight?  Nice!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked it up today. Won't be able to get to the range with it till next weekend. So far I'm quite pleased with it. It has the Swiss stock, and the handguards have very little play in them. Trigger is a little weird, but I think I'll be able to get used to it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#15]
if you pull the pistol grip off you can see the spring retention system on the trigger.  If you  tighten it down a lot (for mine its almost all the way) you'll fid the gun actually has a great 2 stage style trigger.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if you pull the pistol grip off you can see the spring retention system on the trigger.  If you  tighten it down a lot (for mine its almost all the way) you'll fid the gun actually has a great 2 stage style trigger.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top