Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2015 10:38:05 AM EDT
I don't know if anyone else got the email yesterday but MFI's Sig 556 integrated rear diopter sight / rail is still a thing and reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated.

They appear to be waiting on front hoods from finishing and will begin offering the rear / front sight combos in about three weeks or so once they update their website to reflect the new package.

The photos sent in the email look very promising...

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Got the same e-mail yesterday. As good as it looks I'm going to pass on this, it's a little too late.

The time I was ready to spend that much money on my Sig was about 2 years ago.

Right now I got into AKs, 7.62 and 5.45 to be exact. Thanks to Rob Ski from AK Operators Union.

So a lot of my funds go to ammo and accessories/ upgrades.

Two years ago I would buy it in a hart beat and be the happiest guy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
This makes me very happy. I was on their original waiting list for one and never heard from them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
What is their listed $?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
What is their listed $?
View Quote

Email says MSRP of 400 with a "special pricing" of 300... Which I assume is the early bird first feet in the door pricing.

Eliminating options like the fiber optics drop the price down about 30, or you can drop the front sight entirely and it goes down even more. I emailed MFI and they confirmed that the rear sight / rail will be available in both US556 black and U.S. 551A1 gray, but the hooded front sights are only in black.

So in layman's terms it is a complete front hooded sight with flip up fiber optic and a complete rear sight with rail and fiber optic inserts shipped for 300.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh...  diopters are cool. Did them for a while but a red dot is just way more practical.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
so, what kind of price are we looking at?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:35:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stazi] [#7]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:

Email says MSRP of 400 with a "special pricing" of 300... Which I assume is the early bird first feet in the door pricing.

Eliminating options like the fiber optics drop the price down about 30, or you can drop the front sight entirely and it goes down even more. I emailed MFI and they confirmed that the rear sight / rail will be available in both US556 black and U.S. 551A1 gray, but the hooded front sights are only in black.

So in layman's terms it is a complete front hooded sight with flip up fiber optic and a complete rear sight with rail and fiber optic inserts shipped for 300.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
What is their listed $?

$400?! Eff that. Get the HK416 sights from RTG instead. That's what I did:
http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/416-417-SIGHT-SET-HK-PICATINNY-223p87.htm
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#8]
When you consider the hens teeth unicorn tears Aurora sights sell for the same price range, don't come with a rail, don't offer fiber optics as an option, don't have a flip front sight, aren't available in 551A1 gray, etc. etc. etc. these MFI sights are quite the deal for someone looking to mimic the Swiss layout.

While I agree that red dots are superior to diopters for fast shooting, and I also agree that there are cheaper options on the market, you have to admit there are few to zero good, Swiss layout diopters on the market. The 556 platform is more or less dead and despite my dislike for their 552 handguards MFI has been a pretty stalwart torch-bearer for the neglected 556 fan.

I plan on getting a set of these for my 553 clone. I like the look of them, the price is cheap compared to real Swiss parts and I've been happy with the majority of the 556 parts I've bought from MFI (handguards notwithstanding).

I figure I'll post some photos and a review when I get my set. I'll also directly compare them to my previous Aurora set as well as my current popsicle set.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm contacting MFI right now to get on the list for this.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like they're available now.  There are even some "blems" listed for $170!!!

I got my order in...
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I ORDERED A BLEM.. 155 delivered..

I guess I'll wait and see
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered a Sig Gray with a 552 style front sight.   I thought my 552 replica  was done .. but apparently not!   I got email saying it will be shipped tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The hold up are the hooded front sights. If you want the hooded front sight you won't get yours until mid July.

I put in my order for black with the fiber optics and the hooded front sight last night, so I won't see mine until July. I can wait though... my 553 clone is more or less a collector's item for me as I rarely shoot it. Its a nice carbine but waaaaaaay too loud to shoot at the indoor range.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm in for a Blem.

Don't need to spend the $$.

Couldn't pass it up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Ordered a black and a gray blem last night, my black one has an aimpoint on it so the rail nicks won't bother me and my 551A1 Swiss clone is a range gun and shooter so good for that one too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I ordered a rear;  I sold my front gas block and Aurora sight long ago for a Swiss 551 unit.  Big difference!

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#17]
Originally Posted By fustercluck:
Ordered a black and a gray blem last night, my black one has an aimpoint on it so the rail nicks won't bother me and my 551A1 Swiss clone is a range gun and shooter so good for that one too.
View Quote

Didn't even know there was a Grey Blem option. Called and Mike dealt with that and changed me over to Grey!  

Great CS!

Gonna look great on

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#18]
When you consider the hens teeth unicorn tears Aurora sights sell for the same price range, don't come with a rail, don't offer fiber optics as an option, don't have a flip front sight, aren't available in 551A1 gray, etc. etc. etc. these MFI sights are quite the deal for someone looking to mimic the Swiss layout.

While I agree that red dots are superior to diopters for fast shooting, and I also agree that there are cheaper options on the market, you have to admit there are few to zero good, Swiss layout diopters on the market. The 556 platform is more or less dead and despite my dislike for their 552 handguards MFI has been a pretty stalwart torch-bearer for the neglected 556 fan.

I plan on getting a set of these for my 553 clone. I like the look of them, the price is cheap compared to real Swiss parts and I've been happy with the majority of the 556 parts I've bought from MFI (handguards notwithstanding).

I figure I'll post some photos and a review when I get my set. I'll also directly compare them to my previous Aurora set as well as my current popsicle set.
View Quote

Diopters set on the notch are damn fast. Not RDS, but fast. I've actually got a Browe BCO 7.62x39 on that gun anyhow...  Just extremely nice to see a QUALITY sight option finally come about.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh I can be fast enough with diopters, I'm just not partial to the sight picture compared to, say, an RMR.

Right now my 553 clone has no rear sight, an RMR and a small MFI front sight flipped down. The sight picture is like nothing there at all and I love that for fast moving targets.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh I can be fast enough with diopters, I'm just not partial to the sight picture compared to, say, an RMR.

Right now my 553 clone has no rear sight, an RMR and a small MFI front sight flipped down. The sight picture is like nothing there at all and I love that for fast moving targets.
View Quote

Got a pic? I was thinking RMR as well... Or T1, but all the mounts seem way to high and the factory low is too low
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 13gunbunny:
Got a pic? I was thinking RMR as well... Or T1, but all the mounts seem way to high and the factory low is too low
View Quote

Not off hand, and I won't be home to take one until Saturday.

Basically I just have an RM06 in the factory Trijicon low mount back where a rear sight would go. For me with the Swiss stock the low mount feels very "right".

I previously had a T-1 on it but I didn't like the width of it. Then I tried a Holosun micro red dot that had the battery under the low mount and while it was better, nothing beats the open view the RM06 has (in my opinion).
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Got a notice mine shipped! Pretty stoked for it to arrive
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

T1 in a Larue HK height mount works perfect for me

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Arclight, would this rail / sight system fit the early 4 hole upper of mine?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By centroid:
View Quote

As far as I have seen these are only for the more common three bolt uppers. I know back when MFI first posted about these rails they made mention that they would not be making a four bolt version due to their relatively uncommon numbers of the four bolt types.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#26]

As far as I have seen these are only for the more common three bolt uppers. I know back when MFI first posted about these rails they made mention that they would not be making a four bolt version due to their relatively uncommon numbers of the four bolt types.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By centroid:

Thanks, I figured you would have the answer!
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Who has one?

Post up your pics!

Mine won't get here till tomorrow or later.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Got this pic from Mike at MFI explaining why these sights won't fit a 4 bolt upper unit. Only two of the bolts align. Two would have to be removed and possibly one added. Too much work and money for me.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:12:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKrazy] [#29]
I replaced the stock SIG RDSS sight system on a SIG 551A1 with one of the new grey MFI SIG 556 rear diopter sight & rail units.

This is the sight the SIG 556 should have had from day one. It looks authentic, even including an engraved Swiss shield up front, it has a left side sling loop, and is a bolt on installation.
The MFI unit adds 2.2 ounces over the stock sight and aluminum rail. To make room for the furthest rear rail screw, the sight sits about 3/8 of an inch further forward than a welded on SG 550/551 sight, which doesn't seem to create any identifiable issues.

The MFI rear sight sits at the same hight the as the original Swiss 550/551 diopter sights, so I also installed a Swiss 550 front sight.

Why were SIG never able to deliver something like this?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#30]
That looks very nice. So the factory 551A1 front sight won't really work with the MFI rear?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#31]
That looks good.  Hopefully mine is here tomorrow.  I did not realize that the sight is that far forward and overlaps the ejection port. looks like he could have moved it back further or engineered a way to have the rear screw underneath the diopter.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HKrazy:
I replaced the stock SIG RDSS sight system on a SIG 551A1 with one of the new grey MFI SIG 556 rear diopter sight & rail units.
http://bitwise-operations.com/Graphics/Workshop/MFI_3536.jpg
This is the sight the SIG 556 should have had from day one. It looks authentic, even including an engraved Swiss shield up front, it has a left side sling loop, and is a bolt on installation.
Being all steel, the MFI unit adds 2.2 ounces over the stock sight and aluminum rail. To make room for the furthest rear rail screw, the sight sits about 3/8 of an inch further forward than a welded on SG 550/551 sight, which doesn't seem to create any identifiable issues.
http://bitwise-operations.com/Graphics/Workshop/MFI_3560.jpg
The MFI rear sight sits at the same hight the as the original Swiss 550/551 diopter sights, so I also installed a Swiss 550 front sight.
http://bitwise-operations.com/Graphics/Workshop/MFI_3555.jpg
Why were SIG never able to deliver something like this?
View Quote

That is SEXY!
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks pretty good so far. I'm definitely gnawing at my knuckles waiting for mine to ship in mid July.

Part of me kind of wishes they didn't in-fill the cross and shield though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Any tips for removing stubborn factory-installed screws?  I haven't tried it yet but do remember photos posted of 556 rifles where the receiver actually broke because the screws were on so tight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had mine off in the past. They had some sort of loctite on them and were pretty belligerent. I just used a heat gun and gentle pressure using a properly sized torx bit and they eventually gave way and came off. The studs they sit on are welded onto the top of the receiver and I imagine it is the welds that people were breaking.

I think the new MFI rail sights are supposed to come with new hex bolts. I think when I get my set I will run the hex bolts rather than the torx bolts. I'm not a fan of torx. They may be superior in terms of grip area but there is nothing more obnoxious than having to dig out my torx bits when everything else on the rifle is hex and standard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#36]
So the factory 551A1 front sight won't really work with the MFI rear?
View Quote
Nope, they won't. The American SIG diopter sights are higher, front & rear, than Swiss SG 550/551 diopter sights.
Swiss front sight on the left, American on the right:

One of the problems with the SIG 566 has been the array of different sight heights, none of them the same as the Swiss, which is the height the rifle's ergonomics are tuned to. AR sights and optics mount even higher still, which is why you see SIG 556 rifles with cheek risers. The MFI sights finally make it possible to have original height sights on a SIG 556, without welding a Swiss rear sight to it. MFI will be selling their version of the Swiss SG 550/551 front sight, but aren't expecting to ship those until the end of July.
I did not realize that the sight is that far forward and overlaps the ejection port.
View Quote
I thought this might be a problem as well, but after close scrutiny, I just don't see any issues. I can see the ring of the front sight nicely through the aperture holes using a normal cheek weld. The MFI rear sight isn't actually near the ejection port, just the tail end of the charging handle slot, and there is plenty of clearance with the charging handle. Even where the receiver bulges out a bit around the slot, the sight does not quite touch it. You can slide a piece of paper between the sight and the side of the receiver. The only contact is at the top.
That is SEXY!
View Quote
I know! I found myself chatting it up and offering it a glass of wine, before I came to my senses and remembered it's a mechanical object.
Any tips for removing stubborn factory-installed screws?
View Quote
A socket wrench Torx bit is the only tool I would use to remove the factory screws. (Size T20) The L shaped allen key type may not do the trick, and many are made of cheap metal which will give, trashing both the tool and the screw. The threads definitely had goo on them. The sight comes from MFI with hex head replacement screws. You can use either the original, or replacement screws to install the sight. Just be careful when installing. It would be fairly easy to damage the top of the receiver by applying too much torque, which is why SIG used thread compound. not brute force, to make sure the screws do not back out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fustercluck] [#37]
Thanks for the info on the front sights. I just installed the rails on my 551A1 and 556 Swat. They look very nice but I did have an issue with the 556 swat and the factory quad rail. It interferes with the mfi rail. I will likey cut down 1/8" or so from the top quad rail piece and it should work fine. I dont think I will mess with it until I install the front sight though.The screws on both of my rifles came right out with no issues. I am ordering some from Swiss sights from Gatewood to complete mine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:42:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kisara] [#38]
They appear very robust, but there is a warning note to adjust the windage knob by hand or risk damaging it with a tool; That even using a small coin like a dime  with tape on it could chip the paint or leave a mark.  The diopter drum rotates easily and has very positive clicks into position, unlike the Aurora I had previously.  The housing is machined with the rail as one piece.  Other than being positioned slightly more forward than where the Swiss units are welded onto the receiver, the replica sure looks authentic.  

The fiber optics really come to life when held at the correct eye level position.  

I am debating whether to soak the original screws in penetrating oil for a day, or tackle the project "Cold Turkey" right now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 13gunbunny] [#39]
Got mine the other day and it looks great. The factory screw broke loose with just a bit of persuasion still fine with no damage. Now I have send it off to be coated to match the lower. It will be lighter than the rail but I'm not t worried about it.

I did mess up and not order the front. I thought they were the same height. Hopefully they still have them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#40]
They are standard Swiss front height, so you could go to Gunbroker and get a real Swiss front sight if you want one right now. The MFI fronts will not be available until late July.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, I found out that my Brownell's screwdriver set only has T10 and T15 size Torx bits.   The T15 "Kind of" fit, but I didn't want to take a chance and strip the screw face.  A quick trip to Home Depot and bought the correct size.  They have it available in 1/4" or 3/8" sockets, both are just under $2.  I'll soak the oil for one day.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]

I know! I found myself chatting it up and offering it a glass of wine, before I came to my senses and remembered it's a mechanical object.
View All Quotes

That is SEXY!

Some people think My Little Pony is sexy...

I think the 551A w/MFI Rail Diopters is
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Are these steel or aluminum?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
View Quote

From what I've read they are a combination of metals, hence why they are painted as opposed to anodized. The main parts like the sight and the rail are aluminum and some of the small parts like the adjustment wheel are steel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
The main body and rail is aluminum, (4000 series I believe) and some of the sight components are steel. The rail and finish seem pretty rugged.

On another forum, someone was lamenting that for maximum strength, these could not be welded on to the steel receiver, which is how SAN attach their sights and picatinny rails. I understand the concern, as while I'm sure they are plenty strong enough for sights, I'm hesitant to use the sling hook with just the three screws. However, I pointed out that using the right epoxy between the receiver and rail can actually make a stronger bond than welding. Problem solved. Just be 100% certain that it's on dead straight before the adhesive sets, because especially if you use industrial grade epoxy, it's going to be next to impossible to get it back off.

View Quote
If someone says an object like a car, ship, plane, firearm or even a watch is sexy, I get where they are coming from. But My Little Pony?? If you want to watch the show fine, but sexy? I don't get it, I never will, and I certainly will never own a fedora!! Paging Dr. Freud, Paging Dr. Freud… Stat!!

Now Upotte! on the other hand...

Because it's tough to top animated soft core child porn mixed with assault rifles.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Crap.  This thread just cost me money.  I have always liked my Sig 551 clone, except for the horrible sights.  Had to order the rear diopter from MFI and a front sight from Gatewoods.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#47]
The main body and rail is aluminum, (4000 series I believe) and some of the sight components are steel. The rail and finish seem pretty rugged.

On another forum, someone was lamenting that for maximum strength, these could not be welded on to the steel receiver, which is how SAN attach their sights and picatinny rails. I understand the concern, as while I'm sure they are plenty strong enough for sights, I'm hesitant to use the sling hook with just the three screws. However, I pointed out that using the right epoxy between the receiver and rail can actually make a stronger bond than welding. Problem solved. Just be 100% certain that it's on dead straight before the adhesive sets, because especially if you use industrial grade epoxy, it's going to be next to impossible to get it back off.

If someone says an object like a car, ship, plane, firearm or even a watch is sexy, I get where they are coming from. But My Little Pony?? If you want to watch the show fine, but sexy? I don't get it, I never will, and I certainly will never own a fedora!! Paging Dr. Freud, Paging Dr. Freud… Stat!!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Upotte_Poster.jpg

Because it's tough to top animated soft core child porn mixed with assault rifles.
View All Quotes

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Upotte_Poster.jpg

from absurd to potato in 2 posts. Well done
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Anyone lamenting the fact that these cannot be welded in place needs to just go buy a Swiss rear sight and base then have it welded in place. The MFI was designed specifically with the intent of being easily installed and removed.

Cool that the base/rail is aluminum, though I wish a stronger alloy like 7075 or even a 6000 series had been chosen. In any event, I'm glad to see these finally hit the market and wish mfi well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Yay

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#50]
For those who have them, how close to picatinney spec is the rail? Has the paint oversized it at all?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top