Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2015 7:35:11 AM EDT
Has anyone taken s P556 xI and made an SBR out of it yet?  I've been thinking about it, but haven't seen or heard of anyone doing it yet.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently, I have a 556 Classic and a 556R Classic. I've been thinking of getting a pistol upper for each and making SBR's.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi I have a p556xi that I sbr'd. It originally came with the sig brace and I was able to order the sig swiss style folding stock directly from Sig to add to it once my form 1 was approved. It literally took only a few minutes to switch from the sig brace to the stock without having to purchase a lower.

I hope this helps.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought Sig was supposed to be offering 10" and 14.5" barrels for the 556XI?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hi I have a p556xi that I sbr'd. It originally came with the sig brace and I was able to order the sig swiss style folding stock directly from Sig to add to it once my form 1 was approved. It literally took only a few minutes to switch from the sig brace to the stock without having to purchase a lower.

I hope this helps.

View Quote

Got any pictures? Range reports?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I hope this helps.

View Quote

I have/did the exact same thing. Mine is the p556xi. Bought my folder direct from Sig too. Love it. Bought it in December of 14 and not an issue with it yet. I bought a Houge grip, and it has a different muzzle brake and charging handle on it now.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought Sig was supposed to be offering 10" and 14.5" barrels for the 556XI?
View Quote

two different sig reps told me they would be shipping mid year....   will see.  I have a form 1 already approved but would rather buy a 10" factory barrel vs. chopping the original barrel.  Plus I want the full 7.62x39 kit.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wouldn't chop any 7.62 barrel.  There was someone that did a form1 rifle to sbr and chopped the barrel to 10" and it doesn't work.  Sig must use different size gas holes in the barrels.
View Quote

That was my thoughts too. I'd rather buy a factory made upper with a short barrel rather than chop one down and have to tweak the ports to get it to work right. I'm going through some of the same issues with an AR15 10.5 SBR right now.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have/did the exact same thing. Mine is the p556xi. Bought my folder direct from Sig too. Love it. Bought it in December of 14 and not an issue with it yet. I bought a Houge grip, and it has a different muzzle brake and charging handle on it now.

http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/stevetx77/IMG_3048_zpsf5d1zvk1.jpg</a>" />
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope this helps.

http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/stevetx77/IMG_3048_zpsf5d1zvk1.jpg</a>" />

That looks really nice. I like it!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Did you call sig?  You can call Ryan at 1-866-619-1128 and ask him about it.  He is very helpful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't chop any 7.62 barrel.  There was someone that did a form1 rifle to sbr and chopped the barrel to 10" and it doesn't work.  Sig must use different size gas holes in the barrels.

That was my thoughts too. I'd rather buy a factory made upper with a short barrel rather than chop one down and have to tweak the ports to get it to work right. I'm going through some of the same issues with an AR15 10.5 SBR right now.

Did you call sig?  You can call Ryan at 1-866-619-1128 and ask him about it.  He is very helpful.

If you're asking about my 10.5 SBR, it's not a Sig, so I doubt they would be able to help.

I was thinking of getting a 556xi pistol upper for my rifle receiver, doing a Form-1 and having a registered SBR.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't seen anyone do a conversion from pistol to sbr, but we have a factory SBR in the shop.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I haven't seen anyone do a conversion from pistol to sbr, but we have a factory SBR in the shop.
View Quote

Got some info on your shop?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are Cold Hands Arms/Oklahoma Machine Guns. We are inside Wilshire Gun in OKC. If you want to stop by and look at it, you are more than welcome.  Then you can decide if you want to SBR yours or not.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We are Cold Hands Arms/Oklahoma Machine Guns. We are inside Wilshire Gun in OKC. If you want to stop by and look at it, you are more than welcome.  Then you can decide if you want to SBR yours or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This wouldn't be Steve I'm talking to would it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Negative, this is Tyler
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I think Steve has pretty much sworn off ARFCOM.  I troll through here just to keep up with things and see what's new.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Is this SBR for sale or is it a rental gun? I may have to make an excuse to go up there and grab a burger and pet the Shepherd.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#24]
It is for sale the last time I checked.  I haven't been in the last few days.  Our MPXs did show up, so I am going to have to get in there asson as I get back from AT.  But, do you really need a reason to eat the food and pet the dog?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]
The main reason I need an excuse is that it's about a 40 mile one way drive from my house.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I've done plenty. Ya sometime you have to tweak the gas ports, this is almost always needed whenever you remove so much barrel. Really if you can chop and rethread the barrel, working the gas port up in size is not a big deal.

Classic 556R I've had a long time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Chopping a barrel was what I was wanting to avoid. I recently started looking at buying a 10" 516 upper to put on my AR since it's already SBR registered.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've done plenty. Ya sometime you have to tweak the gas ports, this is almost always needed whenever you remove so much barrel. Really if you can chop and rethread the barrel, working the gas port up in size is not a big deal.

http://i59.tinypic.com/11wfwog.jpg
View Quote

But can you run a can on that without hitting the gas adjustment key?   I have a XI and deciding whether to chop or just cancel the stamp.  Was really planning on the conversion kits.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope this helps.

That is sexy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've heard from a few people the 556R and 556xiR don't suppress well.
View Quote

not much suppresses well compared to an AR...   however, I am sure its still a substantial improvement compared to no can.   The gun does have a suppressor gas setting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But can you run a can on that without hitting the gas adjustment key?   I have a XI and deciding whether to chop or just cancel the stamp.  Was really planning on the conversion kits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i59.tinypic.com/11wfwog.jpg

I have a 5.56mm Gas knob in mine. The 'adverse' setting is opened up a bit to make it run without the can, the regular setting is to keep it nice with the can. I built that gun long before the XI came about. I had to source soem 5.556 Patrol parts on gunbroker to build that one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I hope this helps.

View Quote

Can you describe to me how this works?  I'm familiar with the non-xi 556es, and they have two styles of mounting stocks to the lower, one with an AR style tube, and one Swiss style for the folder. Looking on Gunbroker, all of the P556xi guns with aPSB look like the AR buffer tube style lower. How do you connect a folder to that?  I'm assuming that you get a Swiss folding stock, and not a AR buffer tube type folder, like they use on some PSB guns.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#35]
it was pretty easy to add the swiss style folding stock to the p556xi. My P556xi came with the non-folding sig brace. The hinge post was already on the lower. I used a punch and drove out the pin from the hinge post and the sig brace just slides out from the back of the lower. The swiss style stock came a little washer and replacement pin. Align the stock to the hinge and punch in the new pin. The great thing was that I didn't have to replace the lower. The same concept/prcess would work for the DDLES adapter as well if you wanted an AR style stock.

I hope this helps.

Quoted:

Can you describe to me how this works?  I'm familiar with the non-xi 556es, and they have two styles of mounting stocks to the lower, one with an AR style tube, and one Swiss style for the folder. Looking on Gunbroker, all of the P556xi guns with aPSB look like the AR buffer tube style lower. How do you connect a folder to that?  I'm assuming that you get a Swiss folding stock, and not a AR buffer tube type folder, like they use on some PSB guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope this helps.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice....that's the "R" isn't it?  I see that's a LaRue mount, what model?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Since I'm left handed, the charging handle would be on the right side. All I would have to is turn the mount around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top