Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2015 8:08:48 PM EDT
I'm looking to get one of these and wondering about reliability between the two and any other revelations you all have. Not sure I like the cheek riser on the XI, any after aftermarket products to replace that or is it even an issue besides being unattractive?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Can only speak to my personal experience, but I have a Gen 2 556r which has been 100% reliable with steel and brass. I'm still running the polymer Swiss furniture, which is holding up well. The mag well has seen both metal and poly mags and the steel insert looks new. I've oly taken it out to 50 yards, but it groups at 1.5" consistently with an optic. I've never fired the 556xi, but I was unimpressed with the built quality when I handled one last week.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I also have the Gen 2 556R, and it has fed everything will all mags. I have an Aimpoint Pro on it, Troy rear BUIS and MI front BUIS.  Also installed extended safety, and Hogue grip.  I use the standard handquards and attached an Surefire Scout light using the supplied mounts for the standard forearm. My favorite mags are the Hungarian 20 round tanker mag, and the Yugo mags with BHO followers.

My only complaint is that it is a litte front heavy.  Was looking forward to the lighter 556XI R, but with a lot of people having problems with the 556XIR, I will be hanging on the my 556R.
The million dollar question will be if Sig will improve this new version, a "Gen 2" 555XIR or just put up with it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top