Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2015 9:26:29 PM EDT
Guys I have Ben looking at the sig 556 patrol rifle. I know nothing about the sig rifles. I have never seen one in person but I do like the sig 556 patrol rifle. Anybody have a review of this rifle and pros and cons? Thanks John
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 556 Patrol SWAT. So far I've been very pleased with mine. I'm a big AK fan so the SIGs have always had an appeal to me. Mine has been accurate and completely reliable. I do like my older version better than the newer XI version because of the sighting arrangement.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I just recently picked one up after alot of decision making, i've always wanted one and thought they were cool.  Although I only have a couple hundred rounds downrange with mine, im very happy with the purchase. It has been 100% so far and accurate as well. Its a good, reliable 5.56 AR alternative. As stated above the operating system is similiar to an AK with AR style ergonomics. Having the 556 seems to give you the best of both worlds...
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Guys I have Ben looking at the sig 556 patrol rifle. I know nothing about the sig rifles. I have never seen one in person but I do like the sig 556 patrol rifle. Anybody have a review of this rifle and pros and cons? Thanks John
View Quote

I have a P556 SWAT SBR and a 556R gen 2. I like the platform, but it's not perfect.

Pros: It uses an AK-like action (return spring over piston, though), and has an adjustable gas block. It is pretty reliable, especially on gas setting 2 with good magazines. The controls on the ambi-lowers are really pretty decent. Very good options for mounting optics. Stock is high quality (albeit not adjustable).

Cons: Heavy compared to an AR or AK, especially SWAT version, BUIS are meh, trigger is meh. Factory pistol grip sucks and should be replaced ASAP. The action is not particularly smooth. After-market is meh at best. Accuracy is not amazing, especially with sustained fire (pencil barrel).

If this was your first modern sporting rifle, I'd tell you to buy a $800-$900 Colt AR-15 instead. Much better value for the money.

For a second or third rifle, it's OK, I guess. Hard to get excited about it when you could buy an ARX-100 from Botach for like $200 more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top