Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2015 7:06:44 PM EDT
I just ordered a Sig 556 Classic Swat, and supposedly it has the stock I want - pictures seem to inter-change two options.  I don't know which is earlier/later or better or worse.  Visually, I like the smooth elegant triangle-cut stock, as opposed to the one that looks like it might be collapsible (and downright ugly, IMHO).  One is allegedly a 'Swiss-style' stock, but I don't know which one of the two is supposed to be that.

Which do you like better and why?  I've heard some complaints about the stocks in reviews - wobbly and flimsy feeling, but don't know which of the two that would be either.

Me likey:

Not-so-much:
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Got me one with the Swiss folder...lol.....Very well built rifle...it is a bit heavy
Love mine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
My 556 Classic has the older folder. My 556R has the Swiss style folder. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Which is a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got me one with the Swiss folder...lol.....Very well built rifle...it is a bit heavy
Love mine.
View Quote

OK - so which one of the two is the 'Swiss' stock?  Which of the stocks are the newer manufacture, or were they put out at the same time?  Sig isn't very forthcoming about their configuration history.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The Sig telescoping / folding stock is "ok" but has a plastic tab inside that breaks easily. Its a plastic tab that locks the stock in extended or telescoped closed position. Mine broke and the entire gun was sent back to Sig for free replacement of the stock on their dime. I later replaced it with the Sig factory one piece folding stock.

The one piece folder was Swiss made / designed and much better IMHO , unless you need a telescoping stock for kids length of pull.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Sig telescoping / folding stock is "ok" but has a plastic tab inside that breaks easily. Its a plastic tab that locks the stock in extended or telescoped closed position. Mine broke and the entire gun was sent back to Sig for free replacement of the stock on their dime. I later replaced it with the Sig factory one piece folding stock.

The one piece folder was Swiss made / designed and much better IMHO , unless you need a telescoping stock for kids length of pull.
View Quote

OK - the "Swiss" stock is the one I'm getting.  I don't like the look of the other stock at all - doesn't look like it belongs on that rifle, but find the Swiss one really makes the rifle look correct.  It also sounds like the Swiss stock is mechanically superior, which is even better.  Thanks - can't wait to get it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#6]
In my opinion, you're correct going with the Swiss folder. I have both, and the collapsible folder just doesn't feel solid enough.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In my opinion, you're correct going with the Swiss folder. I have both, and the collapsible folder just doesn't feel solid enough.
View Quote

Is the Swiss folder the later manufacture rifle?  I've heard that gen 1 rifles have some problems that were addressed for what is called gen 2.  Would the Swiss folder be indicative of a gen 2 rifle?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
My lower with the Swiss folder is the newest of the 3 lowers in my collection. I also have one of the lowers that takes an AR-15 stock. I haven't had any trouble with any of them, or any of my uppers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
OK - thanks for the stock info guys -

So - I bought and paid for the rifle pictured above - only thing is, I can't figure out if I got a good price (I think I did).  Knowing that the 556 came out with an MSRP of something ludicrous like $2000, with the Classic Swat even more ludicrous around $2400, then all of the 556s plummeted in price into to $1200-1400 range a few years back (for some unknown reason) with recent street prices wavering between a little over a grand and $1750 (wackiest pricing I've ever seen), its anybody's guess what they might be worth now, especially now that they've been recently discontinued.

I paid $1025 for a NIB one from an LE dealer, plus an extra $50 for shipping and transfer, so I'll end up with a total out of pocket cost of $1075, which seems a fair price to me.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OK - thanks for the stock info guys -

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/SIG556-SWAT-Detail-hero.jpg

So - I bought and paid for the rifle pictured above - only thing is, I can't figure out if I got a good price (I think I did).  Knowing that the 556 came out with an MSRP of something ludicrous like $2000, with the Classic Swat even more ludicrous around $2400, then all of the 556s plummeted in price into to $1200-1400 range a few years back (for some unknown reason) with recent street prices wavering between a little over a grand and $1750 (wackiest pricing I've ever seen), its anybody's guess what they might be worth now, especially now that they've been recently discontinued.

I paid $1025 for a NIB one from an LE dealer, plus an extra $50 for shipping and transfer, so I'll end up with a total out of pocket cost of $1075, which seems a fair price to me.  What do you think?
View Quote

Good deal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#11]
You did well @ $ 1075 OTD for an NIB SWAT. Was trying to work a trade/cash deal on a lightly used one locally for around $ 1,100 last month.  

Feel lucky you didn't get the older collapsible style, had one on my 522 - it sucked. I ended up buying a DDLES M4 adapter for my 556R, then put the Swiss off of it on the 522. I like the DDLES adapter, running the new MOE-SL, seems to balance the weight a little better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#12]
ACE makes a nice stock if you have a telescoping / folder you cant stand.....

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#13]
UPS is propping off my 556 CS at the LGS today, and I'm picking it up tonight!!  Very exciting...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]
It would be nice if someone offered the classic plastic hand guards to go with the butt-stock..
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It would be nice if someone offered the classic plastic hand guards to go with the butt-stock..
View Quote

You mean other than Sig?  That is the 'classic' configuration.  I like the long quad rail.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=470919635
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You mean other than Sig?  That is the 'classic' configuration.  I like the long quad rail.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/470919000/470919635/pix511288914.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/470919000/470919635/pix511288914.jpg

I was referring to this one:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top