Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2015 7:44:37 PM EDT
Last Saturday I went to a gun show and bought a Sig Sauer 716 Patrol FDE. it was $1952 out the door including state tax and call in fee.

I had no intentions of buying one and I never even heard of one.  I bought it on a whim because it looked cool and my gun show buddy made me do it. .

I have a couple of dozen .223 ARs but no AR-10.  I had a vague intention of one of these days buying a Colt 901 but that was about it.

I bought a half dozen more magazines for it at the gun show.  I also bought a ten rounder for use on the bench.

As soon as I got home I ordered a Geissele SSA for it from primary Arms and received it on Wednesday.

I cleaned it up real good before talking it out to the range.  I spent a lot of time making sure the bolt and carrier was cleaned and lubed properly.

At the range I took out some old mil surplus NATO boxer primed 147 grain FMJ.  I think it was Portuguese but I am not sure. I also took out some Radway Green soft tipped ammo.  I don't know the grain size but they are heavy bullets.

All of this ammo is is old.

I first shot the rifle with iron sights.  20 rounds (147 grs) and no problems.  Easy to zero the irons.  About 2.5 inch groups, which is the best I am going to do with iron sights with my aging eyes.

Then I put on a Leuopold VXr 1.25-4X Patrol scope with a Aero Precision light weight mount.

I was able to cut down my groups a good inch.  I shot another 40 rounds of the 147 gr ammo without any problems.

I then used the heavier Radway Green ammo and the groups went to about one inch.  I shot 40 of those rounds without any failures.

All in all I am very pleased.  Awesome weapon!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad to hear you've had a great experience so far. I have a 716 Gen2. My initial experience wasn't as great as yours. I also have an SSA in it and a Surefire Muzzle Brake. It ran great the first time to the range. The next few trips yielded a firearm that failed to eject about every 5th or 6th round with Walmart ZQ1 147gr. ammo causing a stoppage with a round sticking out of the chamber 90 degrees and on top of the next round it had picked up. I was told to buy some American Eagle 150gr because it's hotter. It exasperated the issue. Got to reading the SIG forums and found there was an issue with the bolt on a particular run of 716's and mine was among the problematic serial numbers. Long story short, I sent it back to SIG and the bolt was replaced with a dual ejector bolt, the 3 gas rings were replaced with the newer one that is a 1 piece continuous ring, and they polished the chamber. It was only gone 2 1/2 weeks and now it runs without fail no matter what I put through it. Hat's off to Sig's customer service. If you have a 716 that has this issue, take heart, SIG will make it right.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm glad to hear you've had a great experience so far. I have a 716 Gen2. My initial experience wasn't as great as yours. I also have an SSA in it and a Surefire Muzzle Brake. It ran great the first time to the range. The next few trips yielded a firearm that failed to eject about every 5th or 6th round with Walmart ZQ1 147gr. ammo causing a stoppage with a round sticking out of the chamber 90 degrees and on top of the next round it had picked up. I was told to buy some American Eagle 150gr because it's hotter. It exasperated the issue. Got to reading the SIG forums and found there was an issue with the bolt on a particular run of 716's and mine was among the problematic serial numbers. Long story short, I sent it back to SIG and the bolt was replaced with a dual ejector bolt, the 3 gas rings were replaced with the newer one that is a 1 piece continuous ring, and they polished the chamber. It was only gone 2 1/2 weeks and now it runs without fail no matter what I put through it. Hat's off to Sig's customer service. If you have a 716 that has this issue, take heart, SIG will make it right.
View Quote

Do you know the problematic serial numbers?

I have a single ejector bolt and I am wondering if I might have trouble later on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't remember the problematic series of rifles but rest assured, if you were going to have problems it would have happened right out of the box. I've heard that it takes 300-400 rounds to break the rifle in and if you're beyond that it should be smooth sailing! The rep at SIG said the issue is isolated and if it were a widespread known issue, they would have issued a recall.

Quoted:

I have a single ejector bolt and I am wondering if I might have trouble later on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I went out and shot another 60 rounds today without a failure.

The only thing is that the brass is scratch up a little bit near the neck.  I wonder if that is an indication the feed ramps needs to be polished.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a first generation Sig 716 Patrol rifle that I bought when they first came out. I have not had any issues at all. Funny thing is I got it NIB for less than $1,700.00 (incuding the tax) at a local gun show.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats on a nice rifle. Mine doesn't work with that ammo, but I love the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
mine is on its way to SIG. I have the failure to go into battery problem that many have experienced. I bought the gun used, and didn't do adequate homework up front. (shame on me) I knew I wanted a 716 and that was that. Anyway could not consistently run any ammo or mag combination through the gun without at least one or two out of battery failures.

Called SIG, explained I wasn't the first owner, and they didn't care - said it was still under warranty and all I had to do was pay for shipping ($30.00 round trip)

if nothing else, their customer service rocks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on the 716. Once you get it back you will LOVE it. I'm surprised they made you pay for your shipping at all but at least they are taking care of it. Their CS is top notch from my experience. I'm sure they will polish the chamber and you may even get a new bolt. Please share with us the outcome once you find out what was done.

Quoted:
mine is on its way to SIG. I have the failure to go into battery problem that many have experienced. I bought the gun used, and didn't do adequate homework up front. (shame on me) I knew I wanted a 716 and that was that. Anyway could not consistently run any ammo or mag combination through the gun without at least one or two out of battery failures.

Called SIG, explained I wasn't the first owner, and they didn't care - said it was still under warranty and all I had to do was pay for shipping ($30.00 round trip)

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Had mine for about 6 months.  Not even one failure with all kinds of ammo.  
Great rifle, I won't tell ya what I paid for it though.  You might be mad!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The one I shot was not impressive, though I'm not sure if it was a design issue or just the particular rifle. It was the rep's sample 716 Precision he just had painted (some camo duracoat/Cerakote/etc type finish) and it wouldn't come close to fully going into battery. After scrubbing out the chamber I got it to chamber though still a bit tight. Then the accuracy was fairly mediocre, 1.5-3" groups at 100yds. The scope he put on had pretty low rings and the bell may have been contacting the top of the forend (it was real close if it wasn't) so that may have contributed. I want to give one another try to see if that was a fluke or par for the course.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congrats on the 716. Once you get it back you will LOVE it. I'm surprised they made you pay for your shipping at all but at least they are taking care of it. Their CS is top notch from my experience. I'm sure they will polish the chamber and you may even get a new bolt. Please share with us the outcome once you find out what was done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

well, I've had it back for a while now, and holy cow! what a difference. Eats any ammo I feed it, runs very smooth. Haven't had the chance to fully sight in the scope I have on it. (Currently a cheap SIG CP-4 until I decide what I want to run...I'm torn between an ACOG and a variable)

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Elcan works good!

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top