Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2015 5:44:29 PM EDT
I have heard through the vine that there will be no more Swiss 55X steel lowers imported...

Not sure how much truth there is to this but I do know They stopped production I believe in 2012'

from what I have heard no more will be imported...I trust the horse it came from

I decided to ditch my aluminum 553 lower for a steel one  and was hesitant at first but glad I did!

just FYI for you guys considering doing clones or looking for the real steel for your 553

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The aluminum one is fine IMO. Spent enough on this 553 as it is.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya, I fail to see what's so special about the steel lower.  The aluminum lower on my 553 seems rock solid.  The steel lowers do look very cool though.

Are they better?  Or is it collectors value they add?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
who knows...I guess it's possible from a collectors standpoint the 553 aluminum lower may be worth more?

I chose steel over the aluminum because I just like the fitment between the upper And lower better and also simply because it's the original design.

Also It may be of some importance to the guys out there doing clones.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
When you say fittment do you mean they fit better or they just match closer?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
To be honest, both

The steel lower has less play and fits flush.

Again not saying the aluminums are not any good...I heard they were tested to like 20,000 full auto rnds. Plus SAN isn't known for putting out garbage.

To me it was just wanting an original and knowing the fit would be a little better and I also wanted Ilaflon coating.

I can tell you that this is not my first steel lower and that when I put them on my 556 rifles there was 0 play between the upper and lower receivers.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I can tell you for a fact that the aluminum lower was created for the SAN SAPR 7.62 rifle

They needed something more "rigid" than the steel lower and could take the new 7.62 Mags  and it costs more to manufacture the stamped steel lowers

The CNC machined lowers for the SAPR were made to take the original 550 mags and it just took off I guess from there...

So they put them on the pistols.

They were originally supposed to come into the country with steel lowers and but caps.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Fear not. The Swiss Armed Forces will ultimately go for the latest plastic fantastic(if they haven't already). We will see parts kits etc in the future I bet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can tell you for a fact that the aluminum lower was created for the SAN SAPR 7.62 rifle

They needed something more "rigid" than the steel lower and could take the new 7.62 Mags  and it costs more to manufacture the stamped steel lowers

The CNC machined lowers for the SAPR were made to take the original 550 mags and it just took off I guess from there...

They were originally supposed to come into the country with steel lowers and but caps.

View Quote

751/SAPR is 7.62x51 and does not use 550 mags.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know...what I'm saying is that the New aluminum lower was designed for the SAPR and it's 7.62 magazine BUT when the 553 was decided to be imported as a pistol and civilian use they "made" them so they took 550 mags.

Once SANs military contract was over "now probably B&T" apc carbine and SMGs they stopped producing steel lowers.
So when the new aluminum lower was made for the SAPR they said what the hell we could just change up some of the CNC specs and machine it for the 550 mags and the 553 civilian models.
like I said the stamped steel ones are more costly to make but...you already know this.

But like the last guy said I'm sure now that B&T has the contract or HK parts kits may be rollin in
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
If your talking the steel lowers then M+M / CO gun sales
Apex used to carry them but ran out and wouldn't tell me if they were getting any more...But they did tell me that the original order was part of the deal
when CO gun sales and Armati got the their initial order of 553 pistols

Notice all those lowers have the serial numbers inside the rear of the receiver housing...that is so you can have your 553 upper match your steel lower.

If your talking about the pistol itself the Armati USA / CO gunsales or buds or atlantic

Quoted:
Where is a good place to pick up one of these?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

there is a reason the one from sig sauer costs 250 and the Swiss arms one costs 875.00
not saying one will function any better than the othr but....

$875 for a steel lower at CO Gun sales?  Fuck that.  I'll stick with the aluminum one I bought straight from SIG several years back for $250.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your talking the steel lowers then M+M / CO gun sales
Apex used to carry them but ran out and wouldn't tell me if they were getting any more...But they did tell me that the original order was part of the deal
when CO gun sales and Armati got the their initial order of 553 pistols

Notice all those lowers have the serial numbers inside the rear of the receiver housing...that is so you can have your 553 upper match your steel lower.

If your talking about the pistol itself the Armati USA / CO gunsales or buds or atlantic

Quoted:
Where is a good place to pick up one of these?

there is a reason the one from sig sauer costs 250 and the Swiss arms one costs 875.00
not saying one will function any better than the othr but....

$875 for a steel lower at CO Gun sales?  Fuck that.  I'll stick with the aluminum one I bought straight from SIG several years back for $250.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

$875 is a very good price for a brand new Swiss steel lower. And the US made aluminum 551a1 lower is nowhere near the quality of the Swiss steel or aluminum lowers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
$875 is a very good price for a brand new Swiss steel lower. And the US made aluminum 551a1 lower is nowhere near the quality of the Swiss steel or aluminum lowers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, but only if you have a Swiss upper to mate it with.  It doesn't sound like Brouhaha has a Swiss gun, in which case he is correct on the value of a Swiss lower FOR HIM.  
These are clearly for collectors, not that they can't be shot.  

I, on the otherhand, am slowly loosing will power and will probably be picking one of these up for my 553.

I would love to hear any experiences with these.  Do they lock up tighter than the stock aluminum lower?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I actually have a pre-89 550-1, one of only ~450 that were imported before the ban.  I also have a 556 pistol that I SBR'd using an aluminum lower.  The aluminum lower is not much different than the original stamped steel lower (quality-wise).  It's certainly not $500 different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but only if you have a Swiss upper to mate it with.  It doesn't sound like Brouhaha has a Swiss gun, in which case he is correct on the value of a Swiss lower FOR HIM.  These are clearly for collectors, not that they can't be shot.  

I, on the otherhand, am slowly loosing will power and will probably be picking one of these up for my 553.

I would love to hear any experiences with these.  Do they lock up tighter than the stock aluminum lower?  

I actually have a pre-89 550-1, one of only ~450 that were imported before the ban.  I also have a 556 pistol that I SBR'd using an aluminum lower.  The aluminum lower is not much different than the original stamped steel lower (quality-wise).  It's certainly not $500 different.

There's nothing wrong with aluminum lowers, they hold the triggers, pivot pins, mag and bolt release the same as a stamped steel lower.

The steel lowers are nothing more than a novelty.  For the same price as a stamped steel lower that offers zero performance upgrades over a aluminum lower, you can get a silencer or aimpoint t1 with mount.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

We will have to agree to disagree. I have a total of five Swiss 55x, all with steel lowers, a 553 with the Swiss aluminum lower, several gen-1 556 lowers, a 556 Classic lower, and 551a1 lower. In my opinion the Swiss lowers, both steel and aluminum, are significantly higher quality than any of the US made lowers. But it is more than the quality, it is the design/execution. There is something very inelegant about all of the US made lowers.

As to whether the Swiss lowers are worth the additional expense, that can only be judged by the individual.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We will have to agree to disagree. I have a total of five Swiss 55x, all with steel lowers, a 553 with the Swiss aluminum lower, several gen-1 556 lowers, a 556 Classic lower, and 551a1 lower. In my opinion the Swiss lowers, both steel and aluminum, are significantly higher quality than any of the US made lowers. But it is more than the quality, it is the design/execution. There is something very inelegant about all of the US made lowers.

As to whether the Swiss lowers are worth the additional expense, that can only be judged by the individual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed...Not to mention "ilaflon"  Very tough even if it's not the "old" recipe
I don't think one will function any better than the other but as you said at the end of the day  it's individual judgement...

I like the stamped ilaflon coated Swiss lowers
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Josh,

I'm having trouble getting my P553 upper to fit onto a steel lower from a 552 kit.   Any reason why this could be?   The front pivot pin goes in fine, but the rear pin hole does not seat properly into the lower.   It will not drop the last 1/2 inch to seat properly.   Ideas??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Josh,

I'm having trouble getting my P553 upper to fit onto a steel lower from a 552 kit.   Any reason why this could be?   The front pivot pin goes in fine, but the rear pin hole does not seat properly into the lower.   It will not drop the last 1/2 inch to seat properly.   Ideas??

I think you will like the steel lower... the erlier ones are even tougher than the latest ilaflon lowers
back then they used a secret sauce

non Swiss EPA version I guess
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
To put it into perspective, I sold a batch of Swiss steel lowers for $2K when the 556 first came out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#24]
To put it into perspective, I sold a batch of Swiss steel lowers for $2K when the 556 first came out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#25]
2k each?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Josh,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Josh,

Full auto parts in the way?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
2k each?
View Quote

Sounds about right...a 4 position lower commands about $1800.00 on GB

a "COOL" SIG guy would sell it for about $900.00-1300.00

To me the 4 positions are more hassle than they are worth...

BUT, I can tell you they oooooozzzzzzzzzzzzz quality! Any Swiss SIG fan can tell you this.

The copper brazing and ilaflon uniformly cover everything unlike the newer ones and the coating is far more resistant than the newer batch of ilaflon lowers...mine already has a few tiny chips... not that it matters but it is something that I noticed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Josh,

No,  thats not it........internals have been removed and replaced with 556 internals for 922r compliance
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No,  thats not it........internals have been removed and replaced with 556 internals for 922r compliance
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Josh,

That's awesome man... one day I may want to do one for a 551 clone using a 4 position assuming the parts kits don't dry up too quick...
Ive gotta quit this shit! Lol... my bank account routing number is starting to look like this  556553552550551 551550556553
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Sharkman, I'm not sure why your 553 upper would bind when mating it to a Swiss steel lower. Can you take some photos?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sharkman, I'm not sure why your 553 upper would bind when mating it to a Swiss steel lower. Can you take some photos?
View Quote

I saw a picture of it...

It looks like in the photo the rear push pin was not all the way backed out.

It's happened to me... simple to miss actually
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
2k each?
View Quote

Yes, for a black or grey semi auto lower with no serial number.

The ironic part? I traded US SIG556 lowers for them; 1-1 to a German dealer.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I saw a picture of it...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw a picture of it...

Ok good deal
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally bit the bullet and bought one of these.  I am very happy with it on my 553 SBR.  

It puts a bit more weight in the back of the gun and the gun handles even better.  Easy to point one handed now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Try tapping the rear push pin with a little hammer.  My WCA 551 (US made upoer receiver) has a tough, tight fit on the Swiss 4-position lower.  The 2 little "Teeth" on the pin get hung up about 3/4 of the way through.  I am guessing its the area between the upper's lug and the inner edge of the steel lower.  By hand, it gets stuck.  With the hammer, it goes in easily.   All it takes is a light tap or two.  I use the plastic side of the famous "Brownells gunsmith hammer".

Freeride, please post some pics!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top