Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2015 12:11:05 AM EDT
I am thinking about picking up one of the real Sig San 553 pistols Colorado gun sales is offering with the intent of converting it to a 550/551.
How hard would it be to take one of these 553 pistols and convert it to a 550. I don't want a 556 gun with a barrel less then 10". I was thinking I could get the pistol and find a parts kit or something with a 550 barrel and handguard etc and make it a regular 550 and not an SBR. does anybody know if this would be doable? I know it's going to be expensive but it would be worth it to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am thinking about picking up one of the real Sig San 553 pistols Colorado gun sales is offering with the intent of converting it to a 550/551.
How hard would it be to take one of these 553 pistols and convert it to a 550. I don't want a 556 gun with a barrel less then 10". I was thinking I could get the pistol and find a parts kit or something with a 550 barrel and handguard etc and make it a regular 550 and not an SBR. does anybody know if this would be doable? I know it's going to be expensive but it would be worth it to me.
View Quote

It is absolutely doable.  Just expensive.  To the point you may just want to find a nice pre-89 550 to buy.  A 550 barrel is going to run you at least $2k, possibly $3k IF you can find one.  Estes Adams has one on Gunbroker as of yesterday and it was close to $1k and had not hit the reserve price.  The 550 gas system is going to run you about $800 from Apex Gun Parts.  Then you will want a steel lower for another $850 plus another $200 for a stock.  And to be authentic, you will want to have your gun remarked "SG 550-2 SP" or better yet mark it as a PE90, then you will need to refinish it.  If you go for a factory correct Ilaflon finish you are probably looking at $1k with remark and refinish.  

You can still find a nice pre-89 550 for around $8k.  That is what I would do instead.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok thanks for the answer. More to think about .......
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I stand corrected on the barrel. Estes' 550 barrel sold for $1k. I still think your costs to convert a 553 will put you close enough to a pre-89 rifle that you are better off simply buying the pre-89 550.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this what you are looking for?

This one is for sale right now on GunBroker for $1399.99 (Buy It Now).  

$8k is a lot to spend.  This would be a good alternative if it doesn't have to be all original SWISS 550.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this what you are looking for?

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/460965000/460965903/pix944264380.jpg
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/460965000/460965903/pix510371479.jpg
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/460965000/460965903/pix002681569.jpg

This one is for sale right now on GunBroker for $1399.99 (Buy It Now).  

$8k is a lot to spend.  This would be a good alternative if it doesn't have to be all original SWISS 550.
View Quote

Sounds like he is looking for SAN. Converting a 553 probably(definitely IMO) isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand your desire, but I would have a barrel extension made with the same rate of twist and bring it to 11.5-12inches. Then it would look similar to this.

http://www.swissarms.ch/de/SG_553_AL.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds like he is looking for SAN. Converting a 553 probably(definitely IMO) isn't worth it.
View Quote

Yeah, I figured that's what he was thinking, but after the sticker shock I thought he should reconsider the domestic option...
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know if you would be able to add the Swiss steel lower to a 553 upper because of 922r issues. Sense the base/sacrificial rifle has a production date after 1986.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I understand your desire, but I would have a barrel extension made with the same rate of twist and bring it to 11.5-12inches. Then it would look similar to this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What you describe is not possible. You can't add additional rifled length to a barrel.

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know if you would be able to add the Swiss steel lower to a 553 upper because of 922r issues. Sense the base/sacrificial rifle has a production date after 1986.

The aluminum lower on the 553 is Swiss made, same as the steel lowers. Also 1986 has nothing to do with 922(r).
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess my point was I may be able to build the 553 pistol into a rifle by adding a swiss barel/ gas system and Hanguard. I don't know how the front trunion works. I'm assuming similar to an AK. I saw a 551 parts kit less receiver on gunbroker I think it was under 2,000.00. I could add that barrel assembly to the recently imported 553 pistol and I would also benefit from having a swiss upper with a picatinny rail. seems like it would be less than the going rate for a SAN Swiss rifle if all the parts fit together.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I guess my point was I may be able to build the 553 pistol into a rifle by adding a swiss barel/ gas system and Hanguard. I don't know how the front trunion works. I'm assuming similar to an AK. I saw a 551 parts kit less receiver on gunbroker I think it was under 2,000.00. I could add that barrel assembly to the recently imported 553 pistol and I would also benefit from having a swiss upper with a picatinny rail. seems like it would be less than the going rate for a SAN Swiss rifle if all the parts fit together.
View Quote

I was thinking of doing the same thing.  I got a couple of 551 front ends sitting around.  It would be awesome if the barrel just screws in.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Leave the 553 unmolested and spend the $$money you'd spend on a conversion on a real 550; they show up infrequently but more often than never.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Converting to a 551 would be much cheaper than converting to a 550. I've been strongly considering this myself as I have several complete 551 front ends. I think a 551 SBR with railed upper would be awesome.

Don't be confused about the front trunion. It is integral to the upper receiver. The only issue is that the Swiss and US rifles use a different thread pitch for the barrel-trunion interface. Swiss barrels will fit Swiss receivers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was thinking of doing the same thing.  I got a couple of 551 front ends sitting around.  It would be awesome if the barrel just screws in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Swiss 551 barrel can be installed onto a Swiss upper receiver.....ie a 553 receiver. You need the correct armorers tools to do it. Many a Swiss barrel has been damaged by use of improper tools (for instance a crescent wrench instead of a proper barrel wrench). I also know of one Swiss upper receiver that was damaged by using wood blocks to hold the receiver on the front pivot pin lug that is part of the trunion. One side was fractured off and had to be rewelded in place. I recommend you send it to a gunsmith who has ample experience working on the Swiss 55x series.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
that's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#16]
There are 2 550s in a Houston gun shop (Investment firearms?).

$11095 and $12095. They go up in price every time I look, I believe.

You could also keep an eye on GB. Occassionally a 550  will show up.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=461733515

I'd "settle" for this one! . I believe these were the Louisianna Game Warden guns. I'd orally pleasure your ugly aunt for the chance to buy one in good shape at the current bid for this one.
551-2 SP
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=461539196
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The Swiss 551 barrel can be installed onto a Swiss upper receiver.....ie a 553 receiver. You need the correct armorers tools to do it. Many a Swiss barrel has been damaged by use of improper tools (for instance a crescent wrench instead of a proper barrel wrench). I also know of one Swiss upper receiver that was damaged by using wood blocks to hold the receiver on the front pivot pin lug that is part of the trunion. One side was fractured off and had to be rewelded in place. I recommend you send it to a gunsmith who has ample experience working on the Swiss 55x series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have the info for guys that can do that?  I've got a railed 553 coming next week but I plan to get one with diopters to convert.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are 2 550s in a Houston gun shop (Investment firearms?).

$11095 and $12095. They go up in price every time I look, I believe.

You could also keep an eye on GB. Occassionally a 550  will show up.

I'd "settle" for this one! . I believe these were the Louisianna Game Warden guns. I'd orally pleasure your ugly aunt for the chance to buy one in good shape at the current bid for this one.
551-2 SP
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=461539196
View Quote

Those 550s in Houston are way overpriced.  $8-10k is more in line with current market value on a pre-89 550.  The 550s you linked on GB have been posted by that seller for months, as has the 551 you linked.  As for the 551-2 pd trade in rifles as offered by Mike Otte and subsequently a few others, one recently sold on GB for around $4500.  Not too bad all things considered.  I have two and am considering parting with one or both in the near future.  If I do, I will post them to this board and a few others.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope you post it after I finish putting away some gun funds, but before I spend them on what I originally intended them for.

Grail guns are Grail guns!

And yes, those two 550s are overpriced. I'm guessing if you walked into that store with $10,000 you'd walk out with a 550.  JMO.

Wonder why the 551-2 I posted hasn't sold? Probably has $6000 reserve.  Was it one of the better condition, later sold units? Mike told me the price would go up as the availability decreased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top