Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2014 7:43:53 PM EDT
I know the Gen 1 556R's had problems, they seemed to have ironed them out for the Gen 2.....and now the XI-R is messing up....

I'm going to get a gen 2 556R regardless....been wanting one for ages, love the original Swiss 550's.....Crossing my fingers I get a good one  I know the Gen-2s have good reviews, BUT....

It bothers me....why did sig "fix" the Gen-2's....and have so many problems on the XI series?     They should be close enough that there shouldn't have been so many problems......

Tell me your good Gen-2 556R stories to make me feel better

As for questions:  I'm going to probably get MI front sight for it, and planning on a 2-7X optic.    So...almost any backup rear sight will work? magpul,etc.?

Also, I'm assuming the 556 is like an AK, use AR-type optics (integrated mount type) and you get a chin-weld instead of cheek?

I've only gotten to hold a 556R once, loved the feel and way it handled, but didn't have a chance to really examine it (a real paying customer wanted it).

Much appreciated! just excited because I've put off buying for three years, and finally 100% going to get one mid-January.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I I have owned a few different SIG 556 rifles (.223) and all worked well with good accuracy and flawless function. Wanting a real rifle in 7.62X39 I snagged a 1st GEN SIG 556R. I will say the 556R gave me fits and never worked correctly each & every time I took it to the range. It was a new rifle and SIG honored the warranty and covered shipping costs each and every time it was returned to the factory for repairs. My 556R went to New Hampshire a total of three times and SIG decided to replace my 556R with a brand new replacement 556R / GEN2 rifle.  The GEN 2 556R runs fine and is a night & day difference between the 1st Gen and 2nd GEN guns.  

Sadly it looks like the XI is suffering the same launch issues as the 556R 1st GEN rifle,
The upside is IF you buy a new rifle SIG will honor the warranty and make it right eventually. The downside is it may take more than one trip back to the factory.

The 556R / XII a great platform for the 7.62X39 round IF it works.
SIG should fire some people for screwing up two launches for the same base caliber in two platforms.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It bothers me....why did sig "fix" the Gen-2's....and have so many problems on the XI series?     They should be close enough that there shouldn't have been so many problems......
View Quote

Without getting my hands on the two to compare, I am inclined to blame the gas system and what ever redesigning was done. The 7.62x39 556 series pre-XI used a long gas system, so the pressure was much more reliable and forgiving. With the XI they shortened it, which resulted in a much less front heavy rifle, but it can also can run some risks. I'm not sure what other changes were made in the action/gas system, but right off the bat the changed length would be one "risk" item I could see that requires re engineering.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had my 2nd gen 556R for a couple of years.

Never one failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to eject.

It shoots pretty good groups, at 25 yds. never shot it farther than that, yet.

I've used Korean, com bloc and tapco magazines and all of them have worked fine.

I've shot Wolf fmj and HP and they give me the best groups.

I've shot Tula FMJ and it gives me the worst groups.

I've shot Red Army FMJ and it shoots better groups than Tula, but not as good as Wolf.

I've got an Aimpoint on it right now but I think I'm going back to a scope.  The rifle shoots well enough to benefit from a scope.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I'm feeling a bit better.

Didn't look into the XI very close, didn't realize that it had a slightly re-designed gas system.   I like "plain" and didn't care for the modularity of the XI so I didn't even look at it when it came out.

I really can't wait.  I'm a huge AK-phile.  Love them, only sorta "tolerate" AR15's.  Figured the 556 would be a good bridge as far as easy to scope,etc.     Love the fact I can use my AK mags and ammo that I already have stockpiled.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a gen-2 with 500 rounds of Wolf through it. Zero problems with it functioning. HOWEVER, my 556R does not accept all AK type magazines. Some I have to modify with a Dreml to get them to fit and function. I thought I'd give the new Magpul AK magazines a try and I had to Dreml them too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Had my Gen 2 for over a year - shoots anything I feed it, probably has close to 1000 rounds thru it, mostly Red Army FMJ. Cleaned it maybe three times.

I've installed a Troy front rail, Hogue finger grove grip, DDLES stock adapted, mil-spec tube & MagPul MOE-SL stock.  

I either run it with a  Magpul BUIS sights & a Vortex Strike fire or a Sightron 3-9x40 mildot. Yep, chin weld.

Unless you get a SWAT, Troy or Samson quad rail - you won't be co-witnessing anything!

I'd recommend a 2-7x35 or maybe a 1x4-24 on as low a mount as you can get (better cheek weld) & forget the backups all together.

I have had real good luck with the cheapo original Tapco mags, 6 - 30's, 2 - 20's & a 10 rounder for bench rest - all GTG.

Shoot me a PM if you want pics.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Since you have an AK, when you get the SIG 556R take it apart and compare the bolt to your AK bolt.

Very similar.  The SIG does have a nicer finish on the bolt than an AK but they look so similar you'd almost think you could swap them out for each other.  Almost.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies!  my faith is restored  Lol.

Even on my AK's, I went by reviews but it took me using and abusing the heck out of them for me to "trust" them so-to-speak.

I still want backup sights as all my guns (serious ones) have backup irons, flip-up's should be doable, but maybe not.  Don't really want a co-witness, just if the scope goes I can pop it off and flip up the rear sight and be gtg.

Optics-wise I am planning either:

Nikon Monarch 1-4 with a BDC reticle. (had one with the regular #4 reticle and LOVED it).
Nikon Monarch 2-8 with a BDC reticle.
Leupold VX1 or VX2 2-7 with LR duplex.

I can reach out to 300 yards pretty easily with my AK, if the 556R is more accurate I'm wanting to DMR it.   if I got a reference point to hold over, I can put them out there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had a gen 2 556r for a year or so now. Well over 1000rnds of Wolf and Tula thru her without a single issue. Thru a Eotech 512, a Troy forearm, Claymore brake and Manticore grip on it. Gun weighs a ton but is a beast. Decent accuracy to it also.  My buddy just got an XI in 7.62  did a write up on this site somewhere. We only got the to the range once with it. 100 or so rounds without issue. The XI is alot lighter and has a nicer overall feel to it. Time will tell on its reliability.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice to hear!  XI has had teething problems, hopefully they work out.

I will admit, I like the looks of the 556R...not a big rail fan so the XI is....eh...
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had no issues to date with my 556R. I have shot cheap stuff and expensive ammo through my rifle and not one problem. To date I have just over 750 rds and not one failure to fire, extract, or eject. The only complaint I can see is that Sig insists on shiping this rifle without iron sights, and includes a cheap chinese red dot as an optic. Get a real sight such as an Aimpoint. The other complaint I find is that my Romanian and chinese 75 rd drums won't work with the Sig 556R.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]
She is a tank but always runs. Oh another thing is I don't think any aftermarket rails have the little attachment point to lock the stock into the folded position,

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a problem for me.   I don't really ever plan to fold it.   Plan on leaving it all-original as to look as close to a Sig 551 as possible.    Good to know though!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Same here. Wasn't a deal breaker when buying the Troy rail. Only time I ever fold mine is just to show someone it does.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Like my 556R. Its a heavy rifle, particularly in the worst place, the front end. But you can get used to it. It has so many benefits over an AK, like no 922 crap, a warranty, made in an actual gun factory in the USA, brand new parts available from the original manufacturer, to name a few. Mine likes Golden Tiger ammo best. It takes any AK mag in good condition. I use a SIGARMS CP4 4X scope on it which seems to be fine. In fact, I sold a post-ban Hungarian AK to get the SIG and I'm not sorry I did.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't mind front-heavy guns, I like 20" AR's, RPK's and 24" barreled .308's.

I've got a good bunch of GT set aside, don't see much more coming in so my AK's are getting cheaper ammo and I'm saving my GT for my 556.  most accurate X39 I've fired so I'm waiting anxiously to see what the 556 does.  

I'm going to put on a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5X.  I was planning on getting a Nikon Monarch and then I happened onto a Vortex for Bushnell banner price (half what I normally see them for).      

I just bought a 556R off the EE.  Hoping the deal goes well, it's coming with a Sig CP1 3X scope that's going to be put on an AR I'm building.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#17]
The rifle will surprise you with the GT. I took it out to sight in the scope and left my damn sandbags at home. I had to improvise a support using my range bag and it didn't go that well. Still, I was able to shoot 1.5" at 100. Haven't been back yet to do it right and make sure I don't want to fine-tune it a click or two but will be doing that soon. 10 rd or 20 rd mags are good to have for the range if you're going to be benching it or shooting prone - 30 rds get in the way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#18]
awesome. well I'll post a range report after I get it.  

Glad I got one.    Like it beter than the ugly looking abomination the Xi series is
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Well it showed up today. I'm sicker than a dog, but I threw on my scope for it (1.75-5X vortex) and ran outside to test-fire it (extreme rural with a range outside the house)....

it won't eject, as in won't even kick the bolt back at all

I fiddled with the front end, I think the gas screw was screwed "out" a turn so that may be the problem.  I hope so, right now I'm too wore out to try it out again today.

Another thing: not a big deal to me, as I wasn't going to use it, but I thought all Sig 556R's had than tiny, dinky little flip-up rear sight?  This one doesn't.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#20]
What's the manufacture date on the box?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well it showed up today. I'm sicker than a dog, but I threw on my scope for it (1.75-5X vortex) and ran outside to test-fire it (extreme rural with a range outside the house)....

I fiddled with the front end, I think the gas screw was screwed "out" a turn so that may be the problem.  I hope so, right now I'm too wore out to try it out again today.

Another thing: not a big deal to me, as I wasn't going to use it, but I thought all Sig 556R's had than tiny, dinky little flip-up rear sight?  This one doesn't.

View Quote

Sounds like the gas valve was 180* from where it should be.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd wait for the Galil
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am 90% sure it was. I was playing with it and it solidly snaps between gas position 1 and 2 now, before it was easily pivting between the spots I thought it should be.

Don't know on the manufacture date, no box.  It is definitely a Gen-2 with the non-collapsing stock and metal shelf.   I don't think it even had the action racked before I bought it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#24]
still feeling like crap so I only did it quick. Loaded up ten rounds and they all went bang plumb fine  Gas screw was just upside down.

Can't wait to get out and sight it in and groupshoot it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Well....thus far unimpressed.  it runs like a champ.

Accuracy....well...I'm going to try it multiple more times of course, and if that doesn't work I'll put on another scope.

best it's running is around 3". with either Golden Tiger or wolf WPA from Barnaul.   It's putting about 3 in a 1.5" cluser and then throwing 2 rounds off and opening up groups.  One group had a 1.5" cluster and two rounds opened it up to 6"

And as a "control" I took my primary AK with me and during the course of the session fired four, five shot groups that were no larger than 3" with two hitting a 2.5" group, so what it's normally capable of.

"could" be the scope has a lot of parallex? although I am getting a good consistant cheekweld and not moving (I don't think).

Got a 1.75-5X Vortex Diamondback on the 556R and a Bushnell Elite 1.25-4X on the AK.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Okay, managed to get out and do some more shooting, stuck a 3-9X Burris on it just because I ahd it, knew it's background and 100% wanted to just to do testing and not evaluate a new scope.

So....the results....at 100 yards it puts Golden Tiger into roughly 3" groups....4 (occasionally only 3) shots into a 2" group with 1 (sometimes 2) throwing to the right.  With Barnaul made Wolf, it shoots roughly 2" groups, putting 4 (occasionally 3) shots into a 1.25" group and throwing 1 (sometimes 2) to the right.......

So it's definitely doing a 4 on-1-off setup.  Had dad shoot it as well with the same results.   It surprisingly likes the Wolf better than Golden Tiger, GT shoots WAY better in every AK I have tried it in.  

Can't figure out why it's throwing the one off, it's not always the manually charged round, sometimes it's the first, sometimes it's the last.    Changing my grip on the handguard made no difference.

So it' shooting "okay", not quite as good as I was hoping for but I'll probably keep it around for the time being while I test it some more  

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a 556r gen 2 and so far has shot well no malfuctions and pretty accurate.  I actually really like it.  My only complaint is the weight of it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#28]
How heavy is it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#29]
My Gen2 556R runs like a champ.  I am going to pick up a second one before they are gone.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Never weighed it but if feels around 9lbs.  I have the swat model and the rail has some weight to it.  I will weigh it tomorrow and post the weight.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How heavy is it?
View Quote

Mine weighs 8 lb. even including Sampson "iron" sights.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Okay, I have come to a conclusion on the weight issue. Yes, the gun feels heavier than an AK. But, if you go back in time to 1/66 and hand it to me after I just finished a long march in basic training with an M14, I'm going to say 'Its light as a feather'. Its all relative, and my strength is not what it was back then either. So in handling the rifle and thinking about it, it struck me that the problem is its over-built for 7.62X39 - too 'heavy-duty'. So I had to ask myself "Is that a bad thing? Does that not seem to be good for long-term durability?". The answers are 'No' and 'Yes'. It is a good thing and it is good for durability and reliability. One poster said 'Its a tank', and compared to an AK it is - but tanks are strong and durable. So, my decision is to keep it. I will devote some time every other day to handling the rifle and using it as a weight for building my strength. My problem is I had a couple of injuries to my left arm. Its okay but I didn't continue the physical therapy on my own as I should have, and there's some weakness. Being a right-handed shooter, the left hand supports the front end of the rifle, so that's why it seems heavy to me. That is easy to fix and I have already started.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Just thought I'd post an update.

I ain't been able to really group shoot but I've been messing around with it, shooting a bit here and there getting used to it.

It's still showing the same shot pattern, but groups seem to be shrinking a bit, most average RIGHT at 3" now.   I don't think it's me getting used to it, I'm thinking maybe getting a little fouling in the barrel is helping.

I know y'all say I'm a liar but my 7MM mag doesn't shoot good after cleaning until I get about 15 rounds down the pipe, then groups start shrinking again.

So, I'll probably end up keeping it because I've always wanted a sig, do some more testing with it, I'll bench it whenever I get time and post the results here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top