Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2014 6:47:03 PM EDT
Is there enough meat left on the barrel to have it threaded and use a QD suppressor mount?  Seems like there is the potential for interference with the gas selector knob.

If Sig had delayed the taper by half inch going into the gas block, it would definitely be good to go, but as it sits unsure.

If I could buy a pistol without paying extra for the sig brace, that would be better but it seems Sig only offers the pistol with the arm brace.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
It could probably be done, but I wouldn't do it.  There is only about .3" where you could thread it and still clear the gas regulator.  Add in a thread relief cut at the back of the barrel thread, and/or in the attachment itself, and you're going to be down to a 1/4" or less of real thread engagement.  However, the barrel is still .610" in the "skinny" portion, so you would be able to thread that 1/2-28, albeit the barel would be a bit longer.

Tony

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: However, the barrel is still .610" in the "skinny" portion, so you would be able to thread that 1/2-28, albeit the barel would be a bit longer.

View Quote

After addressing this issue with my gunsmith, this is the solution we came up with.  Although my 556xi is 7.62x39, I am going to have the barrel cut and threaded for 1/2x28, and then overbore the 1/2x28 5.56 QD mount to .30 cal.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
what ever happened to the accessories for these rifles that sig promised? the barrels etc is this another acr gun another manufactures b.s to get  you to buy the gun
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what ever happened to the accessories for these rifles that sig promised? the barrels etc is this another acr gun another manufactures b.s to get  you to buy the gun
View Quote

I'm hoping it is just too new to have any accessories out for it.  I don't want to wait for a 10" barrel assembly, and frankly, they will probably be asking too much for it anyway!  A cut and re-thread only costs $100, whereas the new barrel will probably be priced around $300.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
update, my gunsmith starting working part time at the local shop I often visit.   he said there was enough meat for a chop and shoulder ahead of the gas regulator.

However, the barrel would definitely be a little less than 10".   Somewhere around 9.75 to 9.5 inches.   Hard to be exact as the hider is still on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep us updated. Pics will be a must.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Take a chill pill Skull, they are coming. Sig released the guns first and accessories are next. They do have the 10" barrels but they are currently just on the pistol version until they catch up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Just buy the pistol version and SBR it would be the easier approach IMO, if an SBR is your first priority.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just buy the pistol version and SBR it would be the easier approach IMO, if an SBR is your first priority.
View Quote

except the pistols seem really hard to find, cost couple hundred or more extra and I would still need to buy a stock and possibly the hinge too...    biggest thing, I wanted to get it in before any possible 41P changes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

except the pistols seem really hard to find, cost couple hundred or more extra and I would still need to buy a stock and possibly the hinge too...    biggest thing, I wanted to get it in before any possible 41P changes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is 41P? Disregard, looked it up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine is with my smith right now getting chopped.  It is the 556xiR, so the barrel dimensions will be different.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Well form 1 came back in under 30 days...

Is Sig ever going to release conversion kits for this thing?   I would rather buy factory chopped barrels, but am willing to chop the 5.56 barrel.  However, if I can't get a 7.62x39 conversion kit, to go along with it, I might just get a refund on the stamp.   Will give it a few months and see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top