Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/18/2014 7:30:05 PM EDT
It's the base model with the poly handguard, and boy oh boy they perfected the the 556!

Some quick notes...  Love the fact it can left hand side charge. It is not front heavy like my swat version, sits real nice. Came with decent flip up irons. Detent for the gas plug is slightly different as is the gas block, old version seems more rugged, time will tell. There's a bumper for the ejected shells now so maybe the paint won't chip off  the upper now, but that means no battle scars... Haha. Pmags don't go in well but they do go in. 6 other random steel mags go in nice, no slop.

Don't know if the mini acog will stay on, might have to get another tr-24. This really has me wanting a 556xi pistol with arm brace in 5.55 to put the mini acog on. And the tromix charging handle is perfect on this, bought 2 the other day

Not sure when I can get to the range.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
How is cheek weld without the hideous chek riser?  It's the only thing I don't like about these guns.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good!  Hope to get my hands on one soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
For the height of the mini acog the cheek riser is perfect, for the low tr-24 no cheek weld riser needed... Also kind of need the riser for the flip up sights
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!!!

I don't suppose you have a set of calipers do you?  If so, would you mind measuring the barrel at the two fattest spots?  Just behind the birdcage and just in front of the hand guard.  I'm curious how close they are in size.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!  I almost bought the older 556 Russian a few months ago, but came across the 556xi Russian a few weeks later and I was glad I did!  

(It works with all my mags except for the Bakelite mag.)

I planned to SBR it, and buy the 10" barrel assembly.  However, I have since learned they are not available.  So I was just going to have the barrel cut down, but then my smith told me if he cut the tapered barrel, he couldn't re-thread it, as there wasn't enough 'meat' there to work with.  

So I'm pretty disappointed. I'll just have to wait until Sig releases the parts.

I decided I didn't like the riser either, so I low-mounted the Spark, and removed the flip sights.  I ordered new low-profile Troy sights to work with the lower sight line.  I also ordered an extended ELSA paddle lever, and a Hogue grip.  I hope these make the rifle just a little better suited for me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Update: the Norinco Bakelite mag fits. The Russian Bakelite does not.

I've decided to go with a 1-4 optic for this rifle. Maybe the Vortex?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Waiting impatiently for a range report.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably cant get out until this coming thursday
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is cheek weld without the hideous chek riser?  It's the only thing I don't like about these guns.
View Quote

You only need the riser if using AR height sights/optics. If you go with the Troy micro sights, or low mount the optic directly to the rail (no QD mount) then there is no need for the riser.  

That's what I did.  My xi is now wearing a Vortex 1-4 Viper in medium height 30mm rings.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's my xi with Vortex Viper 1-4x.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#11]
My Xi has has the Ta-44 on it, which is AR height and requires the cheek riser  the swat has the Tr-24 and no riser is needed.

Jwise, I think the 1-4 optics are perfect fit these rifles.

I'm really torn between keeping the Xi light as I can with the mini acog or switching it to match my others with the TR-24...

The other  thing that makes the mini acog not perfect is the 1.5 magnification, it's not perfect with both eyes open like a true 1 power scope, however the circle and dot is really nice.... Decisions decisions

The family : it's a 'signess'
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I am really liking what I'm seeing with this.  I have been AK-less for a couple years and have been looking for another one for a while, but now I'm leaning heavily toward one of these to fill that role.  The only thing I don't like about it is how short the handguards are -- the older models were just right on that.  I realize they had to do it to work with the 10" barrel... there is no getting around it if you're going to have a monolithic upper with interchangeable barrels, just like the SCAR.  As far as the cheek riser goes, yeah it's ugly, but I'll take ugly over shitty cheek weld any day.  The ability to comfortably use AR-height sights and optics is a huge plus, as is the ability to run a left-side charging handle.  I wonder if they would ever make a 5.45x39 conversion for it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Thursday evening I was able to run  120 rounds of wolf polyformance through 3 different mags, and I can report zero malfunctions!  I will repeat that it ran flawlessly! I was nervous after seeing the you tube videos that were posted in another thread. Basically, it was a sight in at 25 yards indoors and then a couple of medium rate of fire mag dumps...love this rifle..... But I think I'm going to switch out the muzzle device to a brake.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thursday evening I was able to run  120 rounds of wolf polyformance through 3 different mags, and I can report zero malfunctions!  I will repeat that it ran flawlessly! I was nervous after seeing the you tube videos that were posted in another thread. Basically, it was a sight in at 25 yards indoors and then a couple of medium rate of fire mag dumps...love this rifle..... But I think I'm going to switch out the muzzle device to a brake.
View Quote

Good to hear. Thanks for the report!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I finally got to see one in person at a gun show today. They were asking too much for it, IMO. But I have to say, I am not that impressed with the build. It just  doesn't seem to be up to par...  IMO. I'm probably still gonna get one. I'm just not in that much of a rush. Esp. after seeing the IWI announcement for the Galil Ace. And I may just get a 556Russian Swat instead of XI... I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Hansel, try gunbroker, I was able to pick mine up with shipping and transfer for a total of 1235!

Also,wanted to make a note that I used it as left hand side charger for the break in and came close once to whacking my hand when placing my grip with thumb up right in front of/ on the magwell
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I finally got to see one in person at a gun show today. They were asking too much for it, IMO. But I have to say, I am not that impressed with the build. It just  doesn't seem to be up to par...  IMO. I'm probably still gonna get one. I'm just not in that much of a rush. Esp. after seeing the IWI announcement for the Galil Ace. And I may just get a 556Russian Swat instead of XI... I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now.
View Quote

If the Galil Ace can suppress well I'd rather go with it. Otherwise I'll grab the Sig.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If the Galil Ace can suppress well I'd rather go with it. Otherwise I'll grab the Sig.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna get an ACE pistol. I think it'll be out before the 556xiR pistol will be.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm gonna get an ACE pistol. I think it'll be out before the 556xiR pistol will be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistol is already out, not in large numbers... but that will change real soon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:35:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/jerrellwise/media/Gun%20Pics/459E815E-5C8A-48E8-A93C-7D879C1C55BC_zpswjldlw3a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/459E815E-5C8A-48E8-A93C-7D879C1C55BC_zpswjldlw3a.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/jerrellwise/media/Gun%20Pics/E8CCED53-339D-4F5C-A0D4-05BD8EDE5030_zpsn3y4knfl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/E8CCED53-339D-4F5C-A0D4-05BD8EDE5030_zpsn3y4knfl.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks good, I just got a Leatherwood Hi-Lux 1-4x24mm CMR-AK762 to mount on my up and coming 556XI Russian pistol or rifle. I guess low rings are good for a riser-less stock then?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Looks good, I just got a Leatherwood Hi-Lux 1-4x24mm CMR-AK762 to mount on my up and coming 556XI Russian pistol or rifle. I guess low rings are good for a riser-less stock then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/jerrellwise/media/Gun%20Pics/459E815E-5C8A-48E8-A93C-7D879C1C55BC_zpswjldlw3a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/459E815E-5C8A-48E8-A93C-7D879C1C55BC_zpswjldlw3a.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/jerrellwise/media/Gun%20Pics/E8CCED53-339D-4F5C-A0D4-05BD8EDE5030_zpsn3y4knfl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/E8CCED53-339D-4F5C-A0D4-05BD8EDE5030_zpsn3y4knfl.jpg</a>

Yup good to go with low rings
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted: I guess low rings are good for a riser-less stock then?
View Quote

I went with medium rings.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Is the gas system a copy of the 516?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is the gas system a copy of the 516?
View Quote

No.  The U.S. made 556 and the original Swiss 55x series use an AK type gas system, bolt, and carrier.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Waiting impatiently for a range report.....
View Quote

Heading to the range in 1-2 hours.  I have my 556xi and Rem 700 LTR in tow.  Cannot wait to put some rounds downrange!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got back from sighting mine in at the indoor range.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, my first outing was a rollercoaster.

I was on a 100yd range with a scoped 556xi that had not been bore-sighted. In fact, I had just barely mounted the Vortex PST 1-4, and had changed it around a bit to see where I liked it.  I am also waiting on the SBR paperwork to come back, so I planned to have the smith who is going to cut and re thread the barrel also professionally mount the scope, as I always end up getting it canted just so.

Not having any belief I could get it on paper at 100yds, I tried to hit a couple steel poppers at 50yds. SUCCESS!  I was surprised to say the least, so I went ahead and proned out with it and put my crosshairs on the bullseye stapled to the 100yd target stand.

With a range staffer watching through my spotting scope, I proceeded to put rounds on paper!  Impressive - but really just lucky.  As he called my shots, I started adjusting my target turrets. I was hitting high, so I cranked the elevation knob a bit to bring it down. After some unsuccessful attempts to lower my rounds into the bull, the range staffer asked if my scope was securely mounted. I took this to mean my shots were all over the place.  In fact, he said he couldn't even see my hits , fearing I was throwing them high off the target (I never could adjust the scope enough to LOWER the point of impact.)

Well, I grabbed my scope and pushed/pulled on it. It slid back and forth about .25".   Oops...   I cranked down on the base of the rings and carried on.  

I then realized that I utterly failed at sighting in a scope, just as I did at scope mounting.  I was turning the knobs the wrong way. I dialed in my rounds high, shooting them right over the target.  I reset the scope turrets to zero and shot at the steel again, hitting them.

I went back to paper and started seeing some hits go right where I wanted them. Then it appeared the crosshairs were swimming, or rather they were canted more than I recalled.  At the same time, my inputs weren't doing any good, and I was getting frustrated.

It was about this time I had a FTF.

Frustrated, I grabbed the scope and twisted. It just spun in the rings.  It seems that I suck at mounting a scope.  

I gave up.  I put the rifle away and moved over to my Remngton 700 LTR, and had a LOT more success.

In all, I fired 80 rounds.  I had 1 FTF, but I had several short-strokes, which gave me a click on an empty chamber when I expected a bang!
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#29]
What ammo were you using?  My first outing with old 80's Norinco ammo was a disaster with multiple short strokes, a stuck case, and a couple of double feeds.  The second and third outing with modern Red Army and TulAmmo went a lot better with one short stroke on the second and none on the third.  My experience is that it doesn't like the old stuff.  Also, some of the ejections seemed a bit lethargic.

Also, is your piston head pretty tight in the gas valve?  On my 5.56mm xi and 556s, I can swap gas positions with little resistance, but on the 7.62x39, it's tough to turn, even when clean and lubed.  Even with the gun disassembled, the 7.62 piston seems tighter when moved in and out of the gas valve.  Not sure if that means anything.  On one hand, a tighter fit means less leakage around the piston, but if it's too tight, I can see some of the motive force being used to overcome the drag.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#30]

I was shooting Red Amy Standard.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Well I had my new 556Xi-R out to the range for the 1st time yesterday and it was not good. I started out with 30 rounds of Romanian Hot Shot 123 Gr. ammo in a Tapco Mag all seemed to go well, had one FTF. I was able to get the optic Zeroed @ 50 yds. (very windy in the NE)

After that I switched to using a Pmag with 2010 Wolf FMJ 124 Gn ammo, I had 5 or 6 FTF and 1 or 2 short strokes and a stove pipe! Not good. changed to a Tapco Mag with the same 2010 wolf ammo and it jammed (FTF) on every other round! well after that I called it quits went home and cleaned the rifle. (heavily packed with white grease)
I will go out again on Sunday and try it with steel Mags and some good brass Ammo and see what it does.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/58881

If It fails to run with this ammo it will be going back to SIG.

From what I am reading and seeing with my Xi-R this rifle is very picky with what ammo one uses, not good. FWIW it does seem accurate. Rifle was purchased from Top-Gun Supply
@ $1299.00 It was the last one in stock.

HDH.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow, I guess I got lucky with my first 120 rounds of wolf! I've got some old norinco ammo I'll have to try out soon.

Also, I did break the gun down and oil the crap out of it before shooting it the first time, dunno if that matters.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow, I guess I got lucky with my first 120 rounds of wolf! I've got some old norinco ammo I'll have to try out soon.

Also, I did break the gun down and oil the crap out of it before shooting it the first time, dunno if that matters.
View Quote

My rifle had plenty of lube in it (Sig grease and some of my oil) the mixing of the grease and oil may have been part of the problem. I generally don't run grease in my firearms, I use a good synthetic gun oil.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/m-pro-7-gun-oil-lpx-prod31895.aspx

HDH.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I only used one Magpul magazine.  I will clean and relube and try it again with steel mags.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Be interested to hear how yours goes with old Norinco ammo.  Caused a lot of problems, including a case stuck in the chamber, and it was hard stuck because the extractor ripped a chunk of the rim off.

I had cleaned and relubed mine before first outing, so that wasn't the problem.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#36]
This is very disappointing. I own a 556r and it has been utterly flawless for over 1k rounds. I was really hoping to get an XI russian for christmas but if they have issues I may just get an MPX if they are around
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Seriously considering one of these as a Christmas present to myself.  Gonna wait on a few more reviews to make sure they aren't problem children.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Seriously considering one of these as a Christmas present to myself.  Gonna wait on a few more reviews to make sure they aren't problem children.
View Quote

Good thinking my Rifle is going back to Sig on Monday, I'm not a happy camper.

HDH.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This is very disappointing. I own a 556r and it has been utterly flawless for over 1k rounds. I was really hoping to get an XI russian for christmas but if they have issues I may just get an MPX if they are around
View Quote

+1 - My 556R gen 2 has also been flawless with every brand I've put in it - 1000+ rounds.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 - My 556R gen 2 has also been flawless with every brand I've put in it - 1000+ rounds.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Full disclosure:  

I fully disassembled my rifle a few times getting to know it before shooting it.  I left the factory grease in place, as I typically run my ARs with grease, not oil.  Tonight I tore it back down to clean it up, and I realized I must have reassembled the piston incorrectly, as it was so tight I had to use a tool to help me take it apart.  It went back together correctly and now turns without need for a tool.

It seems the rifle wasn't put together correctly when I was shooting it.  So, I don't think my experience was a valid assessment of the rifle.  I believe quite a bit of user error was at play.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:36:34 AM EDT
[#42]
There are three gas settings on the rifle correct? Adverse,  normal and suppressed? Have you guys having malfunctions made sure you were on the correct gas setting? Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Full disclosure:  

I fully disassembled my rifle a few times getting to know it before shooting it.  I left the factory grease in place, as I typically run my ARs with grease, not oil.  Tonight I tore it back down to clean it up, and I realized I must have reassembled the piston incorrectly, as it was so tight I had to use a tool to help me take it apart.  It went back together correctly and now turns without need for a tool.

It seems the rifle wasn't put together correctly when I was shooting it.  So, I don't think my experience was a valid assessment of the rifle.  I believe quite a bit of user error was at play.
View Quote

How can you put the piston together wrong?  One end is attached to the bolt carrier by the charging handle and the other end just goes in the gas plug.  Or do you mean that the gas valve was turned to some strange intermediate position?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How can you put the piston together wrong?  One end is attached to the bolt carrier by the charging handle and the other end just goes in the gas plug.  Or do you mean that the gas valve was turned to some strange intermediate position?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Full disclosure:  

As I stated, the gas valve was so hard to turn, I had to use a tool.  I thought it was because it was dirty, but that would be a terrible design flaw if shooting 80 rounds of ammo gummed up the works so badly it couldn't be disassembled.  

When I was re-assembling the rifle last night, I dropped the piston assembly in the tube, and tried to install the plug.  It was pretty tight.  I was able to use a tool to install it like this, but thought that this couldn't be right.  It was one thing for the valve to be tight when dirty, but I just cleaned it.  So I took the plug back out and I fiddled with the piston a bit and it dropped maybe 1mm further in, which allowed the plug to be installed easily.  

I am certain that I had the plug/piston installed incorrectly when I was out at the range.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There are three gas settings on the rifle correct? Adverse,  normal and suppressed? Have you guys having malfunctions made sure you were on the correct gas setting? Just a thought.
View Quote

I ran the Si-R in Normal and Adverse, no change.(FTF) The suppressed setting is for a suppressor correct? I do own a Sig556 that I purchased around 5 years ago. Never had any problem with that rifle, so I think I know what I'm doing.( I hope lol)

Talked with SIG today and they sent me a prepaid label to send back. I will post when I get it back after testing.

HDH.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As I stated, the gas valve was so hard to turn, I had to use a tool.  I thought it was because it was dirty, but that would be a terrible design flaw if shooting 80 rounds of ammo gummed up the works so badly it couldn't be disassembled.  

When I was re-assembling the rifle last night, I dropped the piston assembly in the tube, and tried to install the plug.  It was pretty tight.  I was able to use a tool to install it like this, but thought that this couldn't be right.  It was one thing for the valve to be tight when dirty, but I just cleaned it.  So I took the plug back out and I fiddled with the piston a bit and it dropped maybe 1mm further in, which allowed the plug to be installed easily.  

I am certain that I had the plug/piston installed incorrectly when I was out at the range.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Full disclosure:  

With the piston and gas valve both out of the gun, is the piston a snug fit in the gas valve?  Mine is.  In any case, it still doesn't make sense that what you describe is the problem.  When you drop the piston back in the gas tube, it might not go all the way back and the gas valve might have some trouble going in, but once you lock the piston to the bolt carrier with the charging handle, the position of the piston in the valve is set, regardless of how it was during assembly.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I ran the Si-R in Normal and Adverse, no change.(FTF) The suppressed setting is for a suppressor correct? I do own a Sig556 that I purchased around 5 years ago. Never had any problem with that rifle, so I think I know what I'm doing.( I hope lol)

Talked with SIG today and they sent me a prepaid label to send back. I will post when I get it back after testing.

HDH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HDH.

Yup. Looks like this may be a repeat of the Gen I 556r fiasco. I haven't seen a range report without at least one failure.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yup. Looks like this may be a repeat of the Gen I 556r fiasco. I haven't seen a range report without at least one failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HDH.

LOL Sig 556xi russian gen2...hulluva name.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I plan to thoroughly degrease mine, relube with oil, and take it out for a function test.

Quoted:

View Quote

http://blog.suarezinternational.com/2014/10/the-sig-556r-xi-the-ultimate-762x39.html#.VGIHuBZN_YY

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#50]
It is very possible that the gas tube, or gas piston is out of spec. My 556xi had problems with the gas tube after 80 rounds that completely seized up the gun and chewed up the op rod. I sent it back to SIG and they replaced the gas tube and polished the op rod and it ran flawlessly for over 400 rounds now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top