Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2014 7:19:06 PM EDT
Anyone know a smith that will do barrel work on these?

I'm interested in having the barrel reprofiled, dimpled, or fluted in the interest of getting some weight off the front end.

Adco is normally my go to for barrel work, but their website states they don't work on Sig barrels.

Any leads would be much appreciated.

P.S.  Love the rifle so far, would just like to shave a few ounces off the front end.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Few ounces heck, I love mine but I would like to shave off a few pounds!!!

Doc
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Doc
View Quote

I would like to get mine as close to the 8lbs of a Scar17 as possible.  Shaved 10.7 ounces by going to a standard M4 buttstock.  Should save 4.5 more by going to the Lancer carbine length handguards.   Saved approximately 1 ounce with an a2 pistol grip and mbus rear sight.  That should put me at about 8.3 pounds if the factory published 9.3 pounds is accurate.  I'm hoping there is 4 to 8 ounces that could be shed through barrel work.

An 8 pound 716 would supplant my Scar as my favorite .308 rifle.

Come on boys, help me out.  Somebody out there has to work on these things.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have the Lancer Carbon Fiber handguard yet?

I'm hopeful that one comes out for the 716 3gun Heavy!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would like to get mine as close to the 8lbs of a Scar17 as possible.  Shaved 10.7 ounces by going to a standard M4 buttstock.  Should save 4.5 more by going to the Lancer carbine length handguards.   Saved approximately 1 ounce with an a2 pistol grip and mbus rear sight.  That should put me at about 8.3 pounds if the factory published 9.3 pounds is accurate.  I'm hoping there is 4 to 8 ounces that could be shed through barrel work.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

Contact Marvin Pitts.  He might be able to dimple and/or reprofile the barrel for you.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

Nope, don't have the Lancer yet, probably next month.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I had ADCO reprofile mine to gov't profile for a 308 bore.

It lost a couple ounces, not as dramatic as I thought. Looks like it could have been made a little thinner. Oh well. I also outlined the two little squares on the gas block in blue, and left a note asking if they could remove that material, like seen in Sig's catalogs, but it returned as it was with no explanation.

If that Marvin guy is less than $205 or so, I'd try him.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It lost a couple ounces, not as dramatic as I thought. Looks like it could have been made a little thinner. Oh well. I also outlined the two little squares on the gas block in blue, and left a note asking if they could remove that material, like seen in Sig's catalogs, but it returned as it was with no explanation.

View Quote

How long ago did you get it done?  I'm a little confused now because adco's website specifically says they won't do Sig barrels.

Thanks for your reply.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How long ago did you get it done?  I'm a little confused now because adco's website specifically says they won't do Sig barrels.

Thanks for your reply.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your reply.

About two months ago. I haven't seen anything that says they wont do Sigs. Only a forum post from months ago during a search, where they said they hadn't done one. Maybe mine was the first, and last.

Who knows.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Well USPS says Marvin Pitts should be receiving my upper tomorrow.

He is going to dimple it behind and in front of the gas block, and then melonite it to give it back that nice dark finish.

I also put a note and a picture from the Sig catalog in the box like the previous poster that basically said " if you can make my gas block look like this, then name your price."

He estimated the dimpling would reduce the weight by about 8 ounces.

This could end up a sub 8 pound rifle when done, if that estimate is accurate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Put one of these on when you're done!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_126/657604_New_Lancer_Handguard__SIG716.html

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He is going to dimple it behind and in front of the gas block, and then melonite it to give it back that nice dark finish.

I also put a note and a picture from the Sig catalog in the box like the previous poster that basically said " if you can make my gas block look like this, then name your price."

View Quote

By all means let us know if he mods the gas block.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

They gonna make one for the pistol versions?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Updates?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Marvin still has it.  He said the melonite would add a couple weeks to the time involved.

I will post pics when it gets back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread is relative to my interests.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Welp?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#17]

I haven't forgotten you guys.  Marvin still has it.

I put a note in with the rifle, that if he was willing to play with the gas block, that I was in absolutely no hurry.

I did just trade for a Leupold CQBSS for it though, so I am actually getting a little anxious.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Marvin still has it.  He said the melonite would add a couple weeks to the time involved.

I will post pics when it gets back.
View Quote

The nitride layer tears up tools something fierce, even carbide will have the edge chipped and broken in short order.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
       I haven't forgotten you guys.  Marvin still has it.

I put a note in with the rifle, that if he was willing to play with the gas block, that I was in absolutely no hurry.

I did just trade for a Leupold CQBSS for it though, so I am actually getting a little anxious.

View Quote

So what's the word?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad to see I wasn't the only person subscribed
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#21]
*sigh*
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Still don't have it back.

From his facebook account, looks like Marvin might have had some health issues in the December time frame, so that might have slowed him down.

I told him in the letter I sent with the rifle, that if he would tackle milling the gas block, that I wasn't in any hurry, so I'm standing by that statement.

If I don't have it back within 6 months, I will check in on it.

You guys will get pictures once I get it back in may hands.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#23]
33% of 6 months interest reminder.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Any word?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...thought about swapping the quad rail onto my 16" and my Samson onto the 10" which would be sick.
View Quote

Have you looked at the Lancer carbon fiber options for the SIG piston guns?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top