Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 12:57:18 AM EDT
My newest fun gun. Has the barrel extension on it until my form 1 is cleared (filed last Thursday).
Swiss made Sig 551-2 SP with 14" barrel + extension.
Gun has some finish wear on it but I got it for a good price and I have
been kicking my self for 24 years for not buying one of the original
import ones back in the day.
Question about the scope rail. Does anyone know if a B&T rail will allow you to co-witness in the bottom 1/3 of a T-1 mounted on it? The rail that came with this gun will not allow you to use the iron sights with the optic mounted.
Also does anyone know where you can find original SAN SIG furniture?  
Pic for those wondering:

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:12:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think ANY of the mounts will go low enough to let you co witness.

As for the stock, CO gun sales does not seem to offer SIG stuff anymore... The only other option I know about, would be ordering from Switzerland. Because its over $100, you will have to apply for an import permit though.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What makes you think the furniture isn't Swiss?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The best place to get original Sig SAN furniture is from gunfactory.ch in Zurich. Email them and ask for Rolf, he speaks perfect english and will help you with what you need. They have nearly everything you could want, they accept paypal and they ship to the US. I've ordered lots of furniture and other parts from them in the past.

The only caveat is that it is EXPENSIVE... but since you already own a real Sig SAN rifle you should be familiar with that.

As for the rail heights you may want to ask them, they would know the answer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been shooting my SG552 with a B&T rail for a couple years now.
It's like a lower 1/4 cowitness with a T1 on the factory low mount.

It works best with the open sight notch.
I want to say that it's difficult to use with the peep sight positions due to being near the lower edge of the T1 window, but I'll need to check that and get back to you.  
(It might be a couple days before I have a chance).

Here's an older photo I took for someone with a similar question:

ETA:
I'll get you some rail height measurements when I get the thing out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking at the Swiss Gunfactory website and using Google translate it seems they do have a rail made specifically to co-witness with the T-1.

If I am going to place an order over there I will buy a lot of stuff I guess since I will not want to do a Form 6 again.

I'm thinking all green furniture on mine.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Mike Otte of Michael's Machines has Swiss scope rails.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My newest fun gun. Has the barrel extension on it until my form 1 is cleared (filed last Thursday).

Swiss made Sig 551-2 SP with 14" barrel + extension.

Gun has some finish wear on it but I got it for a good price and I have been kicking my self for 24 years for not buying one of the original import ones back in the day.

Question about the scope rail. Does anyone know if a B&T rail will allow you to co-witness in the bottom 1/3 of a T-1 mounted on it? The rail that came with this gun will not allow you to use the iron sights with the optic mounted.

Also does anyone know where you can find original SAN SIG furniture?  

Pic for those wondering:

http://home.comcast.net/~sfischer397/pictures/sig-551/sig551-1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~sfischer397/pictures/sig-551/sig551-3.jpg  
View Quote

Who do we hate?  THE OP!
Why do we hate?  Pure JEALOUSY!

Seriously, beautiful firearm! Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
may I ask what you paid?  you said a good deal, I want one but I am not sure what a good deal is on a 551 these days?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Gunbroker gives a pretty decent overview.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#10]
So 6K?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, the 553 is between $3-4k most places.  While a 550 can $10k +.

The recent LEO/imported 552s were around $6k last I looked
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I just measured mine.

The B&T rail is about 0.55" from the top surface down to the top of the receiver.
It's about 0.025" from the top of the rail down to the flat surface just forward of the windage screw.
I free handed these with my calipers, so there's a bit of error there, but it should give you an idea of where the rail sits.

As far as co-witnessing, I'm going to stick with my lower 1/4 cowitness description.
The open position is good to get a clear view over the sights and through the dot, and the night sights are visible, but when I try to use the notch, I tend to lose the rear sight against the T1 body.
It may be easier with the green finish on your 551, or maybe if the T1 was painted (or something to give you contrast).

The peep positions are usable, but you lose some of the peep's field of view to the curvature of the bottom edge of the T1 window, and that slanted portion in the lower right of the T1 is visible through the peep.

YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I paid $4,250 but it only came with one magazine and the rail mount. The best other price I could find was $5,900 on GB.

So far $4,250 for the gun + $200 tax stamp + $220 for mags + $375 for the Aimpoint T-1 (smoking deal NIB I got on special about 2 years ago and have not had a gun I wanted to use with it). I figure I'll spend another $1K on goodies from Switzerland and that should finish it at $6,045 just over my planned limit of $6K though it is with many more goodies than I planned on.

I know, that will increase the hate.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just measured mine.

The B&T rail is about 0.55" from the top surface down to the top of the receiver.

It's about 0.025" from the top of the rail down to the flat surface just forward of the windage screw.

I free handed these with my calipers, so there's a bit of error there, but it should give you an idea of where the rail sits.

As far as co-witnessing, I'm going to stick with my lower 1/4 cowitness description.

The open position is good to get a clear view over the sights and through the dot, and the night sights are visible, but when I try to use the notch, I tend to lose the rear sight against the T1 body.

It may be easier with the green finish on your 551, or maybe if the T1 was painted (or something to give you contrast).

The peep positions are usable, but you lose some of the peep's field of view to the curvature of the bottom edge of the T1 window, and that slanted portion in the lower right of the T1 is visible through the peep.

YMMV, of course.
View Quote

Thanks, I think I am going to import the rail in my post above when I buy the green furniture and other misc. goodies from the land of chocolate and cuckoo clocks.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks, I think I am going to import the rail in my post above when I buy the green furniture and other misc. goodies from the land of chocolate and cuckoo clocks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just measured mine.

YMMV, of course.

I believe that rail has a set screw that is tightened against the front trunion dovetail. What would be very interesting is to have a machinist cut a direct T1 interface into a B&T rail, doing so at a height that allows for proper co-witness.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I paid $4,250 but it only came with one magazine and the rail mount. The best other price I could find was $5,900 on GB.

So far $4,250 for the gun + $200 tax stamp + $220 for mags + $375 for the Aimpoint T-1 (smoking deal NIB I got on special about 2 years ago and have not had a gun I wanted to use with it). I figure I'll spend another $1K on goodies from Switzerland and that should finish it at $6,045 just over my planned limit of $6K though it is with many more goodies than I planned on.

I know, that will increase the hate.  

View Quote

That is a smoking hot deal, I traded for one I had, the trade value was right around $6500!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Got my form 1 back yesterday. Time to engrave and dremel that damn barrel extension off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a line on Swiss furniture. Also can get any SAN/ Swiss parts you need. Email - [email protected]  remember that we are talking about SIG Sauer / SAN / Swiss Arms-- realize that parts are not cheap, and they sell fast.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I know that a lot of you are looking for these parts, and that you are hoping that I may have them in stock. I wish that I had that bankroll to do that. I have a contact that imports the parts. PLEASE, email me with a list of what you are looking to PURCHASE, and I will get you a quote for pricing and delivery time. These parts are hard enough to get in Europe, let alone here in the USA. Some things will be 4-6 months wait. The cost of importing are not cheap, and I will not be importing 1 or 2 parts at a time. I will have to have a substantial order from at least 4-6 customers to justify an order. I will not bother my contact with small orders. With that said, feel free to EMAIL me with a list of what you definitely what ordered and I will get back to you as soon as possible. It may take 5-10 days to get quotes, so please be patient.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got my form 1 back yesterday. Time to engrave and dremel that damn barrel extension off.
View Quote

Please take photos during the process, I'm curious about how that extension works and was installed.   THANKS and nice rifle!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Please take photos during the process, I'm curious about how that extension works and was installed.   THANKS and nice rifle!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome, thank you!  

PS-  You take very good photos.  The lighting and close-up detail... Fantastic.  I wish more members here took pics as good as you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top