Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 1:40:49 PM EDT
Finally got my SBR out of jail. Wondering if there are any must have upgrades. I was looking at the Manticore charging handle and safety lever but didnt know if those were worthwhile upgrades. I noticed the safety lever was a little short.

Think I am going to like this thing
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You could get one of the MFI three prong flash hiders for looks.

And if you feel like putting on your Indiana Jones hat and scouring the universe for lost treasure you could try to find a set of Aurora sights. They just cheekweld and aim soooooo much better than the Sig USA cheapo sights IMO.

One mod I did to my US lower before I sold it was to file down the little nubs on the door in the grip. They bugged the living hell out of me after shooting for extended periods of time.

Edit: Are you planning to run optics? If so the factory Sig US sights don't cowitness well with much. The Auroras that I have are the perfect height to cowitness with short, micro optics like Aimpoint T1's and Trijicon RMRs mounted on the rail.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Most definitely run a optic. I own several Eotechs and a Aimpoint Pro. Eventually it will get its own dedicated optic most likely a compact EOtech or micro aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]

The Krebs selector is a lot easier to reach than factory.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
My only complaint about my Sig is the crappy trigger.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Adjust the take-up in the factory trigger and it makes a HUGE improvement for free.

Buy mags now while they are cheap and available.
Buy ammo......
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adjust the take-up in the factory trigger and it makes a HUGE improvement for free.

Buy mags now while they are cheap and available.
Buy ammo......
View Quote

I have lots of mags and ammo so I am set there. Thinking I will start with a extended safety and go from there
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Krebs selector and it really is a nice addition.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont suppose anyone has used both thee Krebs and Manticore?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Suppressor mount and suppressor.

Swiss handguards, and Aurora sights if you can find them.

SIG 556 SBR with AAC SDN-6 by c.swimm, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Suppressor is already in the works. What's the deal with the aurora sights? They are taller right?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Suppressor is already in the works. What's the deal with the aurora sights? They are taller right?
View Quote

Shorter actually. They are the same height as the original SAN sights, which is what the swiss stock was made for. Not only do you get a decent diopter sight in the Aurora set but your cheekweld with them just feels "natural" as opposed to strained with the Sig USA sights.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Gotcha. I'll keep a eye out but I need a red dot first.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]
If nobody said it yet beware the aurora sights... they have not been made in years and are kind of unicorn-ish today. I found my set by flooding the internet with WTB ads, and even then it was kind of "right place at the right time" to get the set I got. At this stage of the game it might be easier and cheaper to just buy a set of real Sig SAN rail diopters.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Not a big fan of unicorn stuff. Sounds like I need to go shoot these and see how bad they are.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not a big fan of unicorn stuff. Sounds like I need to go shoot these and see how bad they are.
View Quote

The Sig USA sights are not as horrible as folks make them out to be... they just sit a little too tall for my tastes when paired with the Sig SAN folding stock. They can also be a little cheap in the construction and quality department. My patrol came with a set of them from the factory. The set I had was pretty tight and did not display any of the issues I have seen other folks bitch about... I just didn't like their height. But their height is purpose made so they can have a semblance of cowitness with most of the popular red dots and holosights on the market.

You know, if you plan on running optics exclusively you might want to look into just using the emergency popsicle rear and get one of the MFI clone front flip sights that is the correct height for your popsicle. They aren't diopters and they are very simplistic sights but they would be a functional "out of the way" BUIS option if you don't like the factory diopter sights.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Anytime I buy spare parts they turn into spare rifles.......

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Just replaced my factory diopter sights with a set of MI flip ups. Much better sight picture IMO. Also just ordered a Kreb's selector from Midway. It's on clearance for $25 for anyone looking: Kreb's Selector

ETA I also added a Tromix charging handle which is a HUGE improvement over the factory one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a suppressor on my SBR 556 and it creates a TON of blowback into the action.  Since I shoot left handed, it's extremeley annoying having all that gas blown into my face.  I'll take an SBR'd AR-15 any day over the Sig.

Tony

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, how did this thread go so far with no mention of the Hogue pistol grip? Single biggest improvement you can make to the rifle, IMHO.

If you are going scoped or running an Eotech, the KZ charging handle is also pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#20]
As the owner of a Sig 556 and several 522 rifles I did not know Hogue made a pistol grip for these.  On my soon to buy list for certain.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Optics first, suppressor second.  If you can get a trigger upgrade, there's my third....just note i have exactly zero experience with the sigs so i don't know if they're good or not out of the box.  

Nice looking SBR there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I dont suppose anyone has run both the Manticore and Krebs safety lever??

Finalizing my junk list for this gun. Going to be ordering from Manticore soon and to consolidate shipping was just going to go with theirs. Midway still has the Krebs on clearance and I can get it with 4$ shipping so it is not a huge deal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I run the manticore grip and krebs safety. It's a good combo
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought he Manticore lever. Manticore did me a solid and I appreciate things like that. Look forward to playing with my new gun eventually
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm going to make one of these new 553's look just like that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As the owner of a Sig 556 and several 522 rifles I did not know Hogue made a pistol grip for these.  On my soon to buy list for certain.
View Quote

I bought the version without finger grooves. Very similar to a BCM Gunfighter and way better than the stock grip.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Suppressor mount and suppressor.

Swiss handguards, and Aurora sights if you can find them.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/11058980153_8dcbc06068_c.jpgSIG 556 SBR with AAC SDN-6 by c.swimm, on Flickr
View Quote

What red dot mount is that and what kind of co witness do you get with the Aurora sights?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top