Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2014 8:13:15 AM EDT
NEW sig owner ...I just picked up a 556R (yes late to the party, early for the next ) and have seen the thread on mags that DON'T fit well, how about which mags DO work the best.

I am looking to pick some up and was hoping to start with ones that should .... then deal with them if they don't.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#1]
All the non-metal ones I have fit, Tapco, Promag, Bulgie, and Magpul. Personally I will probably just run with the Pmags and the Bulgies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The tightest fitting mags in my 2 556r's are circle 10 waffles. That being said, my favorite mags are 20 round Koreans. But I will tell you up front that my Korean mag love is rare. Most hate the Korean mags and have had ALOT of problems with them. I am the exception rather than the rule. I feel I got really lucky with my batch of mags and have had only 1 issue from 1 mag out of 20. US Palm mags will not fit FWIW, and neither will any drum except the ProMag 73 rounder.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Hungarian 20rd and the Circle 10's.

Circle 10s took a tiny bit of filing to fit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a ton of Ak mags, but my favorites are first the Hungarian 20 round mag, as it makes it more compact and less "evi" than the longer 30 round mag.
My other mags kept loaded for my 556R are the Yugo mags with the bolt hold open feature.  Yes, I know the bolt goes forward when you pull out the mag, but you know your rifle is empty before hearing a "click".
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Half a dozen Tapco 30s, a few Tapco 20s & a Tapco 10 for bench shooting - no issues, cheap too!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I run Bulgarian and P Mags in mine. One of my favorite rifles.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone for the feedback ... cant wait as mine is still "in the mail"  but will be here shortly
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have not found an AK mag that will not lock in and feed ammo. The Hungarian 20-rounders are hard to beat when shooting off the bags. BTW, I have a Gen. II with steel insert for the front mag catch. I would advise anyone with a Gen. I to use only all-polymer mags. But my favorite mag right now, believe it or not, is a Pro Mag clear smoke, just because it looks cool. I did fire it with no problems.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top