Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2014 2:56:34 AM EDT
A local gunshop owner told me that most 716 models besides 2014 models and newer are pieces of junk and are very inaccurate. He also said that people make a mistake when they shoot .308 out of it since it's designed for 7.62x51.... Despite the PDF from Sig's website says, "Get a .308 caliber short stroke pushrod in an Ar platform." Not to mention everyone who has reviewed the weapon used .308 and sources have said Sig has made it clear it can fire .308. I know it's a hotter round than 7.62x51 but I'm sure Sig knew what it was doing in it's development.

So I'm mainly being inquisitive on the first statement. Is there any truth to this and have issues been an issue with the 716?

Another local gunshop also says he doesn't really support Sig anymore because they are producing cheaply made weapons and won't use or buy one for himself. Yet, my cousin who is in a Swat team in NH that works with Sig all the time loves them to death.

Anyways, I thought I'd share this and see what you guys thought about these "gun shop " owners opinions.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Most LGS in my experience are set in there ways and very biased. As well most don't try out new products to give better feed back.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran a shop, we middle manned all of the warranty.  I stopped stocking those because of the problems.  I also did that with other firearms
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Gunshops are run by people, some good and others not so good. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but facts are sometimes vastly different. Sig can build great guns but as any other company has made mistakes, it's how they handle them that separates a good company from a great company.

Sig is a great company IMHO.

I have a SIG 716 patrol and it's been perfect out of the box.
My 556 rifles (556 swat & classic)  also flawless.
My 1st Gen 556R rifle was a POS that never worked out of the box. It went back to Sig on their dime several times and it never ran 100‰ each time it was returned to me. After three return trips to SIG they replaced it with a brand new 2nd Gen rifle.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A local gunshop owner told me that most 716 models besides 2014 models and newer are pieces of junk and are very inaccurate. He also said that people make a mistake when they shoot .308 out of it since it's designed for 7.62x51.... Despite the PDF from Sig's website says, "Get a .308 caliber short stroke pushrod in an Ar platform." Not to mention everyone who has reviewed the weapon used .308 and sources have said Sig has made it clear it can fire .308. I know it's a hotter round than 7.62x51 but I'm sure Sig knew what it was doing in it's development.

So I'm mainly being inquisitive on the first statement. Is there any truth to this and have issues been an issue with the 716?

Another local gunshop also says he doesn't really support Sig anymore because they are producing cheaply made weapons and won't use or buy one for himself. Yet, my cousin who is in a Swat team in NH that works with Sig all the time loves them to death.

Anyways, I thought I'd share this and see what you guys thought about these "gun shop " owners opinions.
View Quote

I have a couple buddies that have the 716' and they love them, no issues so far. I plan on going out with one of them next week and he is bringing his 716.

As for the Sig stuff, I have the M400 and I have no complaints.

What team is your cousin on? I know some of them use Sig's facilities often, which we are trying to set up a training down there too. Sig has been great to a lot of the departments around here not just with equipment, but also great training opportunities.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Mine's a 2013 model, and shoots just fine.  I'm not as good with iron sights as I used to be, so I can't really comment yet on the accuracy.  The bullets went where I put them, but I need a decent optic to really say for sure.

About the only gripe I have with the 716 is that it seems to have a fair bit more recoil than I expected.  I shot it right after I shot my M1A, and I noticed a big difference between the two.  I guess I need to hit the gym.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me guess OP, your local gun shop had some other brand of 308 AR in stock that they were telling you was the cats meow?  

The Sig 716 is a great rile. I have literally sold hundreds of them and never had one come back with warranty issues.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I would find a new gun shop to do business with!

I love my 716s and they both shoot .308 and 7.62mm flawlessly, and they shoot all my handloads just fine too.

Works great on suppressor setting with cans too:

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Dang that's a big white pig!!!

Doc
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My 716 Patrol is a fine weapon.  No issues.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I love mine. No issues at all and it's very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I find that I usually know more about the product im buying than the joker behind the counter,  dont put much stock in their opinion.  Do some research and buy what YOU want, piss on what they think.  Imo Sig makes a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#12]

A local gunshop owner told me
View Quote
This should have been the giveaway, right here...

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard the early 716's had some issues. My 3 gun does not. Eats everything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A local gunshop owner told me

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#15]
My 716 Patrol (fall 2012 production) runs like a top and eats everything. I shoot cruddy battlepack ammo out of it with no issues.  On the accuracy side, I have it zeroed at 100 yards with 168 gr gold match and when I do my job I can put three or for rounds in the same ragged hole.  It's a great rifle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]
+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gunshops are run by people, some good and others not so good. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but facts are sometimes vastly different. Sig can build great guns but as any other company has made mistakes, it's how they handle them that separates a good company from a great company.

Sig is a great company IMHO.

I have a SIG 716 patrol and it's been perfect out of the box.
My 556 rifles (556 swat & classic)  also flawless.
My 1st Gen 556R rifle was a POS that never worked out of the box. It went back to Sig on their dime several times and it never ran 100‰ each time it was returned to me. After three return trips to SIG they replaced it with a brand new 2nd Gen rifle.

View Quote

I agree with the above. Sig is a great company in my opinion as well. I have a 716 and it works very good, no problems. I have shot both types of ammo out of it, but do not remember if the book told me to shoot one or the other? I have a few Sig pistols as well and love most of those. The one I do not like is because of the trigger pull. I did replace the trigger on my 716, because I did not like the pull.
I think the 716 is a good gun for the money. I think my gun is about 2 yrs. old.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
No problems with my 716 patrol rifle. I have shot Win white box fmj, dag, sa, rg, and my own reloads without issue. I did replace the trigger with a Geissele. Great purchase, bought it around February this year.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Only issues I have had were when the gas regulator was set in the wrong place !!

Can't blame SIg for that one!!

Doc
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought my Sig 716 patrol rifle when they first came out. Never had any issues. I did change out the trigger for a Geissele trigger and the stock for a Magpul UBR. Much better trigger and stock now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#21]
there are experts on this very forum that would tell you all 1911s are shit. Imagine that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have run across several 716's that function fine but lack accuracy. 1 was run by a top 3 gunner that sent it back for repair, it would hold 2 1/2 in groups all day at 100 yrd's, same day watched another 308 semi do 5/8 at 300 on a 5 shot group. The 716 is a pretty rifle though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#23]
How dare a gunshop owner badmouth Sigs.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the input guys! I don't do much business with the guy. He's pretty arrogant and despite being a vet like myself he rubs me the wrong way every time I have a conversation with him. I only stop in there randomly to see if he has .22lr in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top