Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 12:09:25 AM EDT
I am thinking about buying a used 551A1 but I think it might have been refinished in tan.  Seller isn't sure but I couldn't find any reference to a special edition that came in tan but I wondered if someone else knew if it had been.  

Thanks

Andrew
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Not that I've ever heard about.  I've only seen them in the SIG gray.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#2]
No. Sig grey only. Could be Cerakote.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't RSR Group have a bunch of Cerakoted FDE Sig stuff a while back?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#4]
The odd part is that the only parts that are tan are the upper, lower and the gasblock.  The barrel, handguards, stock etc are all the "normal " color so I doubt it's a spray paint job.  

Andrew
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
We'll I bought it and it was definitely refinished.  Debating if I want to have it refinished or not.  The tan finish is in decent shape.  It's not rattle can because brake cleaner doesn't seem to phase it much.  I think it's an earlier 551a1, it has a 43a0032XX serial number, Swiss folding stock and I think a chf barrel.  I like the rear sight is annoying, there isn't enough tension on the sight drum and it spins too easily.  I have yet to shoot it but I like the controls and the balance.  We'll see how it works once I get it to the range.

Andrew
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We'll I bought it and it was definitely refinished.  Debating if I want to have it refinished or not.  The tan finish is in decent shape.  It's not rattle can because brake cleaner doesn't seem to phase it much.  I think it's an earlier 551a1, it has a 43a0032XX serial number, Swiss folding stock and I think a chf barrel.  I like the rear sight is annoying, there isn't enough tension on the sight drum and it spins too easily.  I have yet to shoot it but I like the controls and the balance.  We'll see how it works once I get it to the range.

Andrew
View Quote

I fixed mine by disassembling it and using a stronger spring I picked out of a box of misc springs I bought at Home Depot. It's like 100 different sized springs...sold by the fence hardware. It was an easy process and made a big difference.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I did pretty much the same thing and it greatly helps.  I was also having issues with the detent for the windage wheel.  I polished the face of it and it works much smoother.  I am now thinking the pic base is chanted towards the non ejection port side.  I was looking at it and noticed that it appeared off. I locked the rifle down in a vice and put a level on the base.  I then put a level on the rear receiver block for the receiver pin and they did not match.  I am not sure if it's the base, receiver or the threaded inserts.  I know the 556 had this issue early on, but I didn't know the 551a1 did.  Now to figure out where to go from here.  

Andrew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top