Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 5:26:59 PM EDT
What's everybody's experience with them?  Ever since the Sig arm brace came out I've really started to take a look at them

are they good?  do they suck?  are we ever going to see a 7.63x39mm with AK mags?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume most folks buy them to make a SBR.

Mine works fine. Nice muzzle blast.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

^This.

Love mine. Perfectly reliable so far.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
your 556 looks similar to my 516 …..

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

^This.

<a href="http://s217.photobucket.com/user/KYLiberty/media/378FC186-8EAF-4CBE-9887-F4BA0F81D43D_zpsbdvmhyhq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/KYLiberty/378FC186-8EAF-4CBE-9887-F4BA0F81D43D_zpsbdvmhyhq.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This.

<a href="http://s217.photobucket.com/user/KYLiberty/media/378FC186-8EAF-4CBE-9887-F4BA0F81D43D_zpsbdvmhyhq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/KYLiberty/378FC186-8EAF-4CBE-9887-F4BA0F81D43D_zpsbdvmhyhq.jpg</a>

that is absolutely sick!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's everybody's experience with them?  Ever since the Sig arm brace came out I've really started to take a look at them

are they good?  do they suck?  are we ever going to see a 7.63x39mm with AK mags?
View Quote

I have a Sig P556 SWAT that I put a Sig brace on. It's a shit ton of fun to shoot. I liked it before the brace but now, it rocks!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#6]
All I know is I want one... Well a 516 or 556. I'll probably go with 516 pistol it'll go good with my 716. I'm really digging the 556xi too. So many guns I want and not enough money!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Just got mine, havent shot it yet. But its been a while since ive been this excited to shoot a new gun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a P556 SWAT pistol I bought on a whim just a week before the Sandy Hook shit storm.
It goes perfectly with my 556 SWAT rifle. The pistol rocks as is, but we just got the right to own SBR's here in Michigan so.......
I'm sending in my Form 1 to SBR it Monday.

I'm currently at the NRA show in Indy right now, and I visited the Sig booth today.
They are no longer making the 556 / P556 as we know it. It's being replaced with the Sig 556xi / P556xi
My first impression is I'll pass. I don't like the feel or the looks of the lower receiver.

They did tell me the the old 556 uppers will fit on the new 556xi lowers, for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a P556 SWAT pistol I bought on a whim just a week before the Sandy Hook shit storm.
It goes perfectly with my 556 SWAT rifle. The pistol rocks as is, but we just got the right to own SBR's here in Michigan so.......
I'm sending in my Form 1 to SBR it Monday.

I'm currently at the NRA show in Indy right now, and I visited the Sig booth today.
They are no longer making the 556 / P556 as we know it. It's being replaced with the Sig 556xi / P556xi
My first impression is I'll pass. I don't like the feel or the looks of the lower receiver.

They did tell me the the old 556 uppers will fit on the new 556xi lowers, for what that's worth.
View Quote

Ok, thanks for confirming this. It justifies my rush in buying my p556. I don't like the looks of the 556xi at all.

On a side note anyone know why  the lowers on the p556 and 556 rifle different? The p556 seems to be a bit beefier around the front takedown screw, while the rifle is more slab sided.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On a side note anyone know why  the lowers on the p556 and 556 rifle different? The p556 seems to be a bit beefier around the front takedown screw, while the rifle is more slab sided.
View Quote

Sig went through several design variations on the 556 lower receiver. It could be that you are seeing two different generations as it was my understanding that the pistols all came with the basic AR stock lower just with a cap over the stock attachment area.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I'm going to do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sig went through several design variations on the 556 lower receiver. It could be that you are seeing two different generations as it was my understanding that the pistols all came with the basic AR stock lower just with a cap over the stock attachment area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am planning on SBRing a 556xi Russian when they come out. Deciding if I want to get a rifle with the Swiss style stock to SBR, then change the barrel. Or get the pistol version with the brace. How do you add a folding stock to the pistols that come with the brace?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Change the lower out to one that has the folder. They are on gunbroker.

Swiss Lower

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok. That's a possibility if they offer them in the ak mag pattern.

Thinking more like this then adding some type of folder after ATF approval:

vs this and changing the barrel after ATF approval:
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

^This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This.

Damn. Now, I'm starting to seriously consider SBRing my P556 SWAT. Thanks a lot, jerks!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone added a side folding mechanism to their Sig pistol?  If yes, please post pictures.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Has anyone added a side folding mechanism to their Sig pistol?  If yes, please post pictures.
View Quote

Here you go.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine started out as a pistol.  Form 1 filed the day I received the serial number.  I have well over 3,000 rounds through mine with ZERO malfunctions and I've run it dirty as hell.  It's been a hell of of a gun and I don't think you'll regret getting one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Let me rephrase, I am looking to add folding mechanism and Sig Brace.  I'm tired of the long ass wait for NFA.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Let me rephrase, I am looking to add folding mechanism and Sig Brace.  I'm tired of the long ass wait for NFA.
View Quote

That sounds a bit dicey to me from the perspective of someone who does not want to violate ATF rules even though they are BS. Originally, the Sig P556 came without a buffer tube because the gun does not use an AR type buffer/spring. The buffer tube on the Sig P556 is added only to accommodate the brace. Considering the advertised function of the brace is to enable people to shoot the gun well one-handed and the use of the brace whether used as designed or shouldered is ATF approved, the added buffer tube can be considered reasonable and necessary. A folding mechanism seems to me to be a little bit of a stretch. Not a flagrant issue, but a little too close to the line for me.

That being said, I have never seen a folding mechanism for an AR buffer tube, which makes perfect sense because it would only be usable for non-functional tubes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

DDLES made a hinged AR stock adapter for the 55X series... they are highly sought after and kind of rare now. But that is for adding a folding AR type stock to a Swiss style 55X lower that has the built in hinge. If your pistol lower is the older style with the AR tube mount then you'd need something like the Law Tactical folding AR tube latch that mates an AR tube to an AR mount and allows it to fold.

I personally could care less about the legal side of the Sig brace phenomenon. I don't use them and think they are goofy as sin, I'd rather just pay the two bills and wait for a real stock to attach. But that is me and what makes my goat buoyant does not function for others so who am I to judge?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That sounds a bit dicey to me from the perspective of someone who does not want to violate ATF rules even though they are BS. Originally, the Sig P556 came without a buffer tube because the gun does not use an AR type buffer/spring. The buffer tube on the Sig P556 is added only to accommodate the brace. Considering the advertised function of the brace is to enable people to shoot the gun well one-handed and the use of the brace whether used as designed or shouldered is ATF approved, the added buffer tube can be considered reasonable and necessary. A folding mechanism seems to me to be a little bit of a stretch. Not a flagrant issue, but a little too close to the line for me.

That being said, I have never seen a folding mechanism for an AR buffer tube, which makes perfect sense because it would only be usable for non-functional tubes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have now.

www.lawtactical.com

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#23]
ace also makes a folding mechanism for ar buffer tubes to fit the sig but the law folder seems much better but about twice the cost.

here is the ace folding set up i had on mine

here's the ddles folder i have on it now

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the lecture dad, but I wasn't asking for your legal opinion.  If you don't have what asking for...don't bother chiming in.  I know the law, so please spare me on your interpretation of the law.  I'm not new to NFA.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never owned a Sig P556, but own plenty of AR15s.  I already have a Law Tactical adapter for AR15 and didn't know if it would work on the Sig pistols.  I'll probably go with Stormwerkz hinge.  I just wanted to see what it would look like on Sig P556.

I have the ACE adapter on my SBS Tromix...from ARF members reports, the stormworkz adapter is more robust.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine seems to be well made and shoot great. I have not had any issues to date however suppressed it is miserable to shoot. It blasts more crap back in your face than any other suppressed rifle I have ever owned. There may be a fix for it but I haven't run across it yet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've never owned a Sig P556, but own plenty of AR15s.  I already have a Law Tactical adapter for AR15 and didn't know if it would work on the Sig pistols.  I'll probably go with Stormwerkz hinge.  I just wanted to see what it would look like on Sig P556.

I have the ACE adapter on my SBS Tromix...from ARF members reports, the stormworkz adapter is more robust.
View Quote

This what you're looking for?

ETA: Whenever the Form 1 bothers getting back it'll be getting an LWRC UCIW stock.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I really want one with he classic 552 forearm on it. I like the classic Sig look. But I can find them with the sig brace from the factory.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

All I did was mate my p556 upper to my rifle 556 lower..., after getting big brothers permission, of course.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I really want one with he classic 552 forearm on it. I like the classic Sig look. But I can find them with the sig brace from the factory.
View Quote

The P556 was never available with a 552 handguard, only the bastardized American 551-ish clone cut down handguard. And with DDLES tango uniform the window to get a set of 552 handguards that fit the US pistols has kind of closed, unless you make your own like I did.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The P556 was never available with a 552 handguard, only the bastardized American 551-ish clone cut down handguard. And with DDLES tango uniform the window to get a set of 552 handguards that fit the US pistols has kind of closed, unless you make your own like I did.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JsARCLIGHT/media/IMG_0062_zps1f0b5f8f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/IMG_0062_zps1f0b5f8f.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JsARCLIGHT/media/IMG_0062_zps1f0b5f8f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/IMG_0062_zps1f0b5f8f.jpg</a>

you have no idea how much I hate you right now..... but yea, i kind of know I am a day late and a dollar short. so I'l make do with the funky 551 cut down "Classic" 556.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
you have no idea how much I hate you right now..... but yea, i kind of know I am a day late and a dollar short. so I'l make do with the funky 551 cut down "Classic" 556.
View Quote

The US handguards are not "bad" per se, they are just fatter and made from a different material. They work perfectly fine, they just don't look and feel enough like the SAN 552/3 handguards for my tastes. I prefer the slimmer / sleeker SAN design.

Then again most folks seem to want a rail system instead of handguards these days.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The US handguards are not "bad" per se, they are just fatter and made from a different material. They work perfectly fine, they just don't look and feel enough like the SAN 552/3 handguards for my tastes. I prefer the slimmer / sleeker SAN design.

Then again most folks seem to want a rail system instead of handguards these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, thats my problem. I want it thin. I think rifles have gotten fat lately. I like the smooth clean lines of a true 552.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
See, thats my problem. I want it thin. I think rifles have gotten fat lately. I like the smooth clean lines of a true 552.
View Quote

Well, you can always fab a set of your own. All you really need is a set of 550 handguards, a handguard endcap (original 552/3, DDLES cap if you can find one or a MFI clone part), a drill press, a bandsaw and the kehones. Or if you are not too picky a set of the MFI clone handguards might work for you. I found them to be too thin and flimsy for my tastes but some folks seem to like them.

I started into this process late as well. The only real difference I've noticed is that the parts are more expensive and harder to find, but they are out there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone have a side-by-side comparison of an AR pistol with a brace (preferably in 10.5") and a P556xi with brace?

I'm really interested in the AK version (http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p556xi-10-ak-swat-psb.aspx), but a 28" OAL seems pretty long for a pistol, (I think most 10.5" AR pistols measure around 25")

Also, since the OAL is over 26", does this mean you could add a VFG and change it to an "other firearm" like the XO-26 letter? Or since it is sold specifically as a pistol are you stuck?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a side-by-side comparison of an AR pistol with a brace (preferably in 10.5") and a P556xi with brace?

I'm really interested in the AK version (http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p556xi-10-ak-swat-psb.aspx), but a 28" OAL seems pretty long for a pistol, (I think most 10.5" AR pistols measure around 25")

Also, since the OAL is over 26", does this mean you could add a VFG and change it to an "other firearm" like the XO-26 letter? Or since it is sold specifically as a pistol are you stuck?

Thanks!
View Quote

IIRC A pistol over 26" is considered a "firearm" at that point, and a VFG can be added. but I am no lawyer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistol brace that folds is still a pistol brace.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top