Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2014 4:20:59 AM EDT
I'm wanting a rifle that shoots 7.62x39 and I'm digging the 556 over an AK variant although I'm sure I'll end up with both at some time or another. My LGS has a 556R that he will sell me for $1170 OTD, non-railed version. My question is this.

Should I buy the 556R now for $1170? If I get the 556R now it will be a long time before I have the money to buy the 556xi. The XI will be a couple hundred bucks more easily.
Buy an AK now ($700 for M10) and hold out for the 556xi?
Or just hold out for the 556xi?

One thing to remember, money is an issue and I cant just go out and buy whatever rifle whenever I want. This is a new caliber for me and I'll need to buy ammo and a few accessories for sure.

I want an AK for the sake of having an AK but the 556 feels better, I'm an AR guy and the 556 is pretty close to what I'm used to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I would get whatever you think you want the most. I've been in your shoes before and there is nothing worse than spending the money and not have what you really wanted. I've got a 556R but will be getting the new XI for sure. The left side charging handle and the ability to swap calibers did it for me. The cheek pad is a much needed (and simple) addition. If it were me, I'd wait for the XI.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I'm kinda leaning towards. I like the left side charge and continuous top rail and standard flip up irons. The only thing that concerns me is "when" the xi will actually come out. I've been searching the xi and there were reports going back almost a year ago on this very rifle. Maybe I'll get the AK now and build up a stock of 7.62x39 so when the 556xi does come out I've already got ammo and a second gun to share said ammo. If the xi comes out at $1600 I could get the 556R and a lot of ammo for that price.

The 556R is a good gun, right? Do you think there will be some teething issues with the 556xi? like some Sig models in the past? I guess we wont know until it comes out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same boat as you.  Been wanting a 556R for a while, finally found an LGS that has some ($1250 OTD) and then I started reading about the 556xi.

I'm going to go with the 556R.  It's up to GEN 2 with the teething problems ironed out.  The 556xi looks cool, but I just don't have any faith that it will be on the market in less than 8 months and then figure a year after that for all the bugs to be ironed out.  At that point, it's two years down the road damn near...  Id have plenty of time with the 556R, probably have picked up an AK to round out the family and should have enough saved up to buy a good 556xi.

Guns and network hardware are two things I will never early adopt on.  Been burned too many times.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the "2nd Gen" 556R and its been flawless, so far.  I read/heard about the problems with the earlier guns.

That alone would make me hesitate to buy the model when it first comes out.

If you got a 556R now, the magazines and ammo, and any optic you may buy for it, will all fit the new models if you decide to get one 2 or 3 years from now when the bugs are either worked out, or its confirmed, by real world use, that the first design was good to go from the start.

I like the way the new model looks, but as long as my rifle works, I'll be sticking with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want or need the features of the XI buy it (Ambi, operation, quick swap barrel, modular, etc.)

Nothing wrong with the standard 556R ( if it runs good).
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the comments guys, I think I will pick something up soon and let the 556xi come out and prove itself before I drop some coin.

Is there a 556R in pistol form? I cant seem to find one and that would be a handy gun to SBR. I'm really looking forward to owning a gun that shoots cheap and effective ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the comments guys, I think I will pick something up soon and let the 556xi come out and prove itself before I drop some coin.

Is there a 556R in pistol form? I cant seem to find one and that would be a handy gun to SBR. I'm really looking forward to owning a gun that shoots cheap and effective ammo.
View Quote

I wish.

FWIW, I LOVE my 556R Gen II.  fantastic firearm.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the same situation. I'm going to wait for the xi. Left side charging handle and a suppressed gas setting are huge for for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm in the same situation. I'm going to wait for the xi. Left side charging handle and a suppressed gas setting are huge for for me.
View Quote

556R doesn't have adjustable gas? I do have a .30 cal suppressor I'd like to run however I doubt it would make much difference.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

556R doesn't have adjustable gas? I do have a .30 cal suppressor I'd like to run however I doubt it would make much difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has a standard and adverse setting. The xi has standard,adverse and suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd wait. The XI offers so much more than previous models. 1) The top rail snaps over the receiver like the Troy rail hugging the top for a more secure fit, and is one piece. 2) The lower handguard is thinner, but extends past the gas block, and allows the use of three different handguard options. 3) The gas block is now low profile, and allows something not previously available for the 556-the use of decent aftermarket sights! This issue alone has plaqued the 556 ever since it's introduction. 4) Ambi magazine release 5) The ability to swap the charging handle to either side. 6) Three adjustable gas settings. 7) User removable barrel with just an AR15 barrel wrench, and different length barrels will be available. 8) Optional lower receiver adapters to use just about any stock. 9) The ability to switch to different caliber conversions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 556R gen-2 and it's been great. Zero problems. I walked into Academy Sports one day just to look around and there it was on the rack. I was lucky enough to see it and have the money at the same time and it followed me home.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I know this is an older thread, but I'm in the same boat as you but my buddy owns a gun shop so I get to see everything that's in stock at the distributors. He's kind enough to let me get whatever I want at cost too. I too want 556R but our distributors don't have any in stock right now. They DO however have the 556xi pistol in 7.62x39 in stock. That's good news to me. Hopefully the rifle will be coming in soon.

I still can't decide between the 556R or the 556xi. I just love the way the older Swiss rifles look.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I will be waiting for the XI-R myself. I like the new look.

HDH.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to pick up the 556R instead of the 556XI purely on looks alone
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#16]
has anyone seen a 556R swat lately?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not my add in EE
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:46:01 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my add in EE

A little high, but not bad.  I got mine for $1K shipped, but it doesn't have the rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top