Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2011 7:57:18 PM EDT
Just wondered what kind of accuracy people are getting with their SIG 556 rifles with mil surplus ammo ?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I shot several groups with the 62 grain ammo that came in around 1.5 MOA.  This was with a scope on it.  I did worse with the 55 grain stuff and I think that stuff was around 2 MOA.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm getting 1 - 1.5 with LC 09 62 gr and around 1" with Blackhills 75gr with my 556 Patrol SWAT
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. Seems like they are at least as good as the best ARs. I seen one going used locally but was concerned about throat erosion (if it had been fired rapidly) because the bores are not chromed. Apart from that they seem very nice.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks for the input. Seems like they are at least as good as the best ARs. I seen one going used locally but was concerned about throat erosion (if it had been fired rapidly) because the bores are not chromed. Apart from that they seem very nice.

Despite the lack of CL barrel, one member on here has about 12K through his with no loss of accuracy.

Mine runs a LOT cooler than my AR, I can mag dump all day and still hold onto the damn thing...my AR gets uncomfortable to hold on the handguards after a few dumps in a row.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had three different SIG 556's, and currently have the most accurate one of them. One of the three SIG's had horrible accuracy (4-6 MOA) and it went away quickly, as I did not want to deal with SIG-USA and a warranty claim. IMO, an accurate DI AR is quite a bit more accurate than any of the SIG's I've had. My current SIG will shoot 1.5-2 MOA with good quality target ammo and 2-3 MOA with Silver Bear 62gr HP ammo. It's hard to get max accuracy with a long stroke piston gun.
That said, my "keeper" SIG has been functionally flawless with several K's of steel case Silver Bear for Winter 3-gun matches, and is plenty accurate to hit steel plates at 100-200 yards.   YMMV
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#6]
My two 556 Patrols are about as accurate as a rack grade AR like a Colt 6920 or 6721. If I do my part, hitting clays rested from the bench at 200 yards is realistic.

ETA: I should point out that that is with good ammo though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the responses. sounds like some variation in results. Perhaps a trade off  - sacrifice a little acuracy for better reliability - also cooler running and no need for chrome
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#8]
That is exactly why I bought mine.  It may shoot better with different ammo but 1.5 MOA with SS-109 is good enough to keep me happy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

thanks for the responses. sounds like some variation in results. Perhaps a trade off  - sacrifice a little acuracy for better reliability - also cooler running and no need for chrome

Way cooler running.

I can mag dump over and over with my Sig556 and its still cool enough to hold.  If I do that with my AR, the MOE guards get painfully hot and I have to let it cool off for a while.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top