Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2011 11:16:26 PM EDT
Thinking about buying a Sig 516.  Saw the torture test and I am impressed by the performance.  Can anyone tell me the down side of this rifle or if anyone has had a problem with the 516?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has a problem with ammunition. It wont stop eating it! The damn thing eats everything. My supply is dwindeling down and I'm having to buy a lot more. The other problem is that aftre 500 rounds I take it apart to clean and it ins't dirty at all inside. Now I cant have the fun in cleaning it all afternoon. Don't buy a 516 unless you can afford to shoot it! I will eat all of your ammunition and beg for more. I'm getting a second job just to pay for ammo. Save yourself! I hate mine so much I'm about to buy anotherone and replace another one of my gas guns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
My 516 runs like a champ, stays clean and eats any ammo that I put in it. Thumbs up there. My only complaint is the sights or lack of. I bought the patrol version and it came with Sigs reddot. I would have rather seen Sig leave the red dot out and put some sort of flip up sights on it. I mean it comes with magpuls MOE grip and stock might as well put there MBUS as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#3]
lol AR10 and Celtic thanks for the input.  That is what I thought.  I love Sig pistols and I bought a Sig 556.  Had some issues with the 556 but got it fixed.  Thanks guys you convinced me to buy one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 4:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I just picked one up yesterday. It had been in the local gun shop taunting me for a couple weeks now. I kept telling it I was done with AR15s since I got my SIG 556 Classic and 556 SBR. I said I don't like scraping carbon off the bolt anymore. The 516 said "but I am piston driven, I run clean too". My neighbor wanted an AR so I took him to my favorite shop. He bought a used Double star and a Daniel Defense free float rail for it for about $800. I put the handguard on it at the shop with their work bench and tools in the back. I hang out at this shop a lot and my older daughter works there part time, so I get to hang out in the back and help at the counter when they get busy, so they hook me up pretty good.

When my neighbor went home to get his wife so we could go to the range I waited for him at the shop. I took another look at the 516. The 516 said "your neighbor has an AR now. Why don't you?"

I called my wife and told her it would make a great early birthday and father's day gift. She never knows what to get me so she said "if you want it go ahead and get it." It was marked for $1399 and they let me have it for $1400 out the door. They also threw in a knight's VFG and 90 rounds of NATO green tip.

When my neighbor showed back up we all went straight to the range. He brought his wife and a couple of his friends. He was mainly into shooting his new toy. I zeroed mine in at 25 meters with the factory red dot, and then went to work on the 200 and 300 meter steel targets. They are 3'x2' silhouettes and were easy to hit from the bench. It was a little windy but I was even able to get several hits on the 400m target while holding over it's left shoulder to compensate for the distance and wind.

I let everyone try it and it functioned perfectly with all 90 rounds I had. Makings hits on the 200 meter target while standing were easy too.

The big hit of the day though was the 556 SBR. Everyone was impressed with how accurate it was with only a 10" barrel. It also has less recoil than the 516 too. One of the guys even got some hits at 400 meters with it from the bench rest.

Really glad I decided to get it. Seems to have excellent accuracy potential. I think a PWS FSC and an ACOG might be in the near future on it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2011 4:40:17 AM EDT
[#5]
P.S.

The one thing that finally sold me on the 516 was the trigger. I like a good match trigger on most guns and have put them in my ARs in the past. This 516 had one of the best factory triggers I have felt on an AR. I don't see any reason to swap it out for a two stage match trigger. This one has a good crisp single action pull with minimal virtually no take up, and is just heavy enough to make you think it's not too light for a combat style rifle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a new 516. So far I like it a lot. I am curious, has anyone put a different upper on theirs like a OLY 9mm? I am wondering if they function without any mods because the SIG site says:

"All upper assemblies are shipped with a SIG516 hammer and trigger pivot pin, a recoil buffer and action spring. These components must be installed to ensure proper function of the SIG516 upper assembly on your AR-type lower receiver."

I have been asking around and I just keep hearing "If it is a standard AR-15 lower, it will work". Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got 1 located not far from me and might be mine on Weds afternoon.  What type are the buis's on the rail, as this 1 does not come with a factory optic?  They look like Magpul's but not sure.  Any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got 1 located not far from me and might be mine on Weds afternoon.  What type are the buis's on the rail, as this 1 does not come with a factory optic?  They look like Magpul's but not sure.  Any help would be appreciated!

Looks like the Magpul ones to me as well. Probably the reason he doesn't have the front mounted atop the gas block....
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes I used the Magpul MBUS Gen II sights. This is why the front sight is on the handguard rail rather than the gas block. The gas block can heat up enough to melt the MBUS sights.

The factory red dot has been ok so far. I tried an ACOG but it didn't really do it for me, so I have a Trijicon Accupoint TR24G on the way. I love the TR24G on my 556 SWAT so I am going to stick with it on my 516 too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Do they usually come with the red dot sight as standard equipment in the package?  Guy I might be buying it from said  it only has the flip up sights.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I've only seen two in local gun shops. Mine and an early one. Both had the red dot. Not conclusive though. SIG web site doesn't mention it coming with, so it may be an option.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#12]
They do come with the red dot. ost of us wish they did come with flip up sights.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing wrong with mine yet and it's been through 400 rounds of mixed cheap russion brass and stee 55 grain ammo. I just threw on a Knights Armament Trigger Guard and the extended Magpul buttstock pad =D When are you planning on getting yours?!
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine Broke!  I ment its breaking me!  EATS AMMO LIKE CRAZY. DON'T CARE WHAT TYPE!

It just sits in my closet and taunts me all day long. FEED ME!   FEED ME!!  I told mine to go get a job. I'm liking it a lot but Its ddaining my bank account.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Great weapons for sure. I can't wait to get my hands on the 716.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#16]
The Sig 716 is supposed to become available in 4 week acording to Sig
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I want one as well
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 516 on my "list".  Its too bad there are so many on my list that I will likely never have them all.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#19]
After handling one yesterday, I think I am sold.........
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I am itching to get a 516! I liked what I've seen from torture tests on it and have yet to hear anything bad about it but one day I asked Chris Costas of Magpul on Facebook what he thinks about them and he said he didn't like the ergonomics. I cant imagine why because the two different ones I've handled at the local fun shop felt amazing and looked great, If I had the cash and the space in my safe and the extra ammo to burn Id have one right now!

Oh, and of the two 516's I saw one had no irons just the Sig mini red dot and a CTR stock but the other came with just the Magpul BUIS set and a MOE stock.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#21]
New ones are shipping with a redesigned carrier with milled cuts and weighs in at 7.4 OZ. Don't know if this would cause reliability issues with bolt bounce and issues with different buffers?
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am itching to get a 516! I liked what I've seen from torture tests on it and have yet to hear anything bad about it but one day I asked Chris Costas of Magpul on Facebook what he thinks about them and he said he didn't like the ergonomics. I cant imagine why because the two different ones I've handled at the local fun shop felt amazing and looked great, If I had the cash and the space in my safe and the extra ammo to burn Id have one right now!

Oh, and of the two 516's I saw one had no irons just the Sig mini red dot and a CTR stock but the other came with just the Magpul BUIS set and a MOE stock.

simple solution to the ergonomics is as easy as swapping out the stock and the pistol grip (any gun loving nut job can do it) as well as throwing the AFG2 on it. Get the one with the red dot as it most likely has the original bolt carrier design. Then throw on a couple magpul mbus gen 2 front and rear sights on it and you are set unless you want the troy hk style sights instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top