Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 8/3/2010 10:16:29 PM
[Last Edit: 8/6/2010 10:34:17 AM by TxLawDog]
I found a smoking hot deal on a SIG 556 SWAT SBR. If I buy it, the rifle will be for duty use and have plenty of rounds put through her. I have lurked and read several posts on different forums and there seems to be several different opinions from people as to the 556 reliability. Some say 'great rifle when it runs' or 'early models run better than later' and even claim that SIG quality control is spotty.

Before I start carrying one on duty I am asking what the general concensus is here among the people that own the 556. Lastly my PD has authorized the use of suppressors on personally owned patrol rifles, so an AAC M4-2000 will be going onto whatever I buy. Any experiences with 556 SBRs with cans on them and associated reliability issues would be a help. Thanks.

UPDATE: I put my money on a SBR and am off to get what I need to send in my BATFE paperwork. For those that qualify (current/retired LEO) GT Distributors is selling NIB Sig 556 SWAT SBRs (SIG part # 556405) for $1209 + stamp. This is an individual officer sale, no PD involved. You just have to show your police creds.

"It's beautiful, man"
Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8 - "Let his days be few, and let another take his office."
JAR420
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2010 10:26:45 PM
Simply put, the SIG 556 has reliability that rivals the AK.
HK94dude
Heavily-armed extremist
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2010 10:35:10 PM
I have that same setup, minus the handguards, and mine has run 100% from day one. With or without the can, regardless of ammo. Wolf, Silver bear, Brown bear, Tula, reloads, and when I can afford it, even brass. My favorite rifle and I would trust it with my life.

Stolen Firearm: Colt AR15, Serial # SP342380, 16" carbine. Stolen in California, and taken to Missouri.
backpacker21
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 9:28:49 AM
[Last Edit: 8/4/2010 9:29:55 AM by backpacker21]
Originally Posted By JAR420:
Simply put, the SIG 556 has reliability that rivals the AK.

+1 I have an 09' build and have over 1k rounds down the tube and the rifle runs flawlessly. Unlike my AR15, it takes about 10-15 seconds to completely disassemble the rifle for cleaning and you can put far more rounds through it before the rifle needs cleaning. Also, there is almost no recoil and no annoying buffer spring "twang" every time I pull the trigger. It has a "crisp" feel that you will notice once you fire one. Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

GySgt_D
ret.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 11:00:35 AM
Despite their flakey QC and bizarro marketing, mine has never had a malfunction. However, it should be noted that I have less than a thousand rounds through it.

Never heard of anyone having any reliability problems with their's.
chapperjoe
Luckiest Guy on the Planet
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 11:13:09 AM
[Last Edit: 8/4/2010 11:17:40 AM by chapperjoe]
mine's been flawless with wolf 75gr hp and pp 62gr hp.... I haven't even run any domestic ammo through it yet don't have to.

I find, like my glock 36, folks who don't have one will knock it alot!

ETA: I actually have a second waiting at my ffl to be picked up as well.
There is but one truth in the world and it is all yours. If you are not sure of it stay at home; but if you are sure don't look back and it will be your way.

Honored to be a "Proud Member of Ranstad's Militia"
chapperjoe
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 11:18:39 AM
one thing I need to do is either find some modified replacement grips or make my own out of MOE's.

the factory grip leaves some to be desired.
There is but one truth in the world and it is all yours. If you are not sure of it stay at home; but if you are sure don't look back and it will be your way.

John91498
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 12:12:20 PM
Gonna be the lone naysayer here. While I like my Sig, I would not trust it with my life.

Just my opinion and not based on anything concrete.
backpacker21
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 12:28:23 PM
[Last Edit: 8/4/2010 12:32:10 PM by backpacker21]
Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
one thing I need to do is either find some modified replacement grips or make my own out of MOE's.

the factory grip leaves some to be desired.[/quot

(Accomplice) has a Sig556 in the pic threads page 17 near the bottom of the page with a CAA grip. It moves the grip to a more forward position and gives better access to the safety and mag release
TxLawDog
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 1:33:03 PM
Originally Posted By John91498:
Gonna be the lone naysayer here. While I like my Sig, I would not trust it with my life.

Have you had any specific issues that makes you think that there is a reliability issue?

Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8 - "Let his days be few, and let another take his office."
DLaw
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 1:37:10 PM
Sig 55X series of rifles are boringly reliable.
Yo Homie, they put the sights on top for a reason-
Frank Castle

My small dick can still reach the lock button.
-NorCal LEO
John91498
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 1:53:01 PM
Originally Posted By TxLawDog:

Have you had any specific issues that makes you think that there is a reliability issue?

The only issue I've had is with the Sig mags. I get a FTF every once in awhile. The AR mags work fine in the Sig.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. I've been an AR-15/M-16 guy for 15+ years.
backpacker21
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 1:56:18 PM
Originally Posted By TxLawDog:

The only issue I've had is with the Sig mags. I get a FTF every once in awhile. The AR mags work fine in the Sig.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. I've been an AR-15/M-16 guy for 15+ years.

Ask any serious Sig guy. The factory mag is cheaply made with a weak follower spring. Any operational failures are generally caused by the factory mags. Pmags work the best IMHO
chapperjoe
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 1:57:14 PM
i don't have the sig mags, but I wouldn't use em either. I'm in NY, but my usgi's and thermolds work great.

cyclone
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 4:15:34 PM
I'm kinda interested in them myself as well................I have always liked the SIG rifles, but reading some of the reports concerning the 556 left me unwilling to try one............have they worked out all the bugs?
Sancho Panza..........stuck in reverse gear since 2007

"The villainy you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction"

IBEW LU 84
backpacker21
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 9:59:07 PM
Originally Posted By cyclone:
I'm kinda interested in them myself as well................I have always liked the SIG rifles, but reading some of the reports concerning the 556 left me unwilling to try one............have they worked out all the bugs?

I don't think any manufacturer can work out ALL the bugs but everyone who has sounded off on these forums of late has had great reports for the most part. You never hear about the AR15's failures but they fail far more often than the Sigs from what I hear. I had a RRA A4 platform and I couldn't shoot half of the surplus stuff through it that I can through my Sig. The RRA just wouldn't cycle the cheap stuff consistently.
jpcdmd
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 10:25:32 PM
I have a P556 SBR and its been flawless. If you can get one for a smokin deal, grab it!
FBHO
cyclone
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 7:07:44 PM
True............I have been thinking about trading an AR I have toward one, as I like the classic with the regular handguards..........and then maybe someday fgetting a Swiss stock and handguards to make a 550-like rifle

Originally Posted By backpacker21:
Originally Posted By cyclone:

I don't think any manufacturer can work out ALL the bugs but everyone who has sounded off on these forums of late has had great reports for the most part. You never hear about the AR15's failures but they fail far more often than the Sigs from what I hear. I had a RRA A4 platform and I couldn't shoot half of the surplus stuff through it that I can through my Sig. The RRA just wouldn't cycle the cheap stuff consistently.

"The villainy you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction"

IBEW LU 84
kaiserworks
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 7:33:15 PM
I have sold over 50 of them. Never heard of any reliability issues of note as far as actual function of the rifle. We did experience something odd on a few of the early rifles though... not sure what the technical name for it is, but it is the stamped steel latch that retains the charging handle would break allowing for the charging handle to fall out. Sig replaced promptly and haven't seen that problem since so perhaps it was bad metallurgy in those particular stampings?
cyclone
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 8:43:00 PM
It's either the classic or an MSAR STG..............like them both, but the classic can be had around here a little cheaper than the E4

Originally Posted By kaiserworks:
I have sold over 50 of them. Never heard of any reliability issues of note as far as actual function of the rifle. We did experience something odd on a few of the early rifles though... not sure what the technical name for it is, but it is the stamped steel latch that retains the charging handle would break allowing for the charging handle to fall out. Sig replaced promptly and haven't seen that problem since so perhaps it was bad metallurgy in those particular stampings?

IBEW LU 84
C_Swimm
SIG Nut
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 8:47:56 PM
I have over 1K rounds through mine with not a single malfunction. Accuracy is very good, and recoil is almost non existent. Cleaning is such a breeze it almost makes me hate shooting my AR.

I love my 556 Classic SWAT so much I just bought a Patrol model for an SBR project. I have put my AR up for sale to help finance it.
--------------------
Chris
FT Campbell, KY
cyclone
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 8:50:37 PM
Same here...........my AR has to be sold to finance the classic 556, but I think it would be worth it, and I have a Colt 6520, so I am covered

Originally Posted By C_Swimm:
I have over 1K rounds through mine with not a single malfunction. Accuracy is very good, and recoil is almost non existent. Cleaning is such a breeze it almost makes me hate shooting my AR.

I love my 556 Classic SWAT so much I just bought a Patrol model for an SBR project. I have put my AR up for sale to help finance it.

IBEW LU 84
arbob
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 9:33:08 PM
I have a 556 SCM. It doesn`t like Wolf. The SIG diopter site Flew off the gun today as I put 170 rounds through it.
One of the Fantastic Bastards of Ranstad`s Militia!
JAR420
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 10:23:49 PM
Originally Posted By arbob:
I have a 556 SCM. It doesn`t like Wolf. The SIG diopter site Flew off the gun today as I put 170 rounds through it.

The entire sight?

PTR-91
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2010 8:41:00 AM
While sig556's are good rifles, there are defiantly QC issues with some rifles that you should be aware of. If your betting your life on the gun, check out this link before you buy. Link and this one link2 .
PTR-91
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2010 8:59:14 AM
Originally Posted By arbob:

The sig diopter site is low quality (as you found out) and so is there red dot and sig magazines that come with some of there rifles. Buy after market sites and mags only. My sig also had issues with wolf early on. You can do two things to fix it. Adjust the gas valve to the second setting or break the gun in with mil-spec ammo (maybe 200-500 rounds?) on first gas setting and then see if wolf will work one the first gas setting. Wolf is underpowered and cause the rifle not to cycle, but once the rifle is broken in mine cycles 100% with wolf.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2