User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/5/2008 7:16:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/6/2008 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok Ill play along

If you go to the RSR Group website. Click on the online catalog button and then select long guns, then sig sauer, then select advanced search, then select classic from first pull down bar.  And take a gander

3 models
one with 2 mags and optic. one with rail and diopter, and one with diopter and regular 55Xish handgaurds.

OH heck

Linky

Link Posted: 12/6/2008 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok Ill play along

If you go to the RSR Group website. Click on the online catalog button and then select long guns, then sig sauer, then select advanced search, then select classic from first pull down bar.  And take a gander

3 models
one with 2 mags and optic. one with rail and diopter, and one with diopter and regular 55Xish handgaurds.

OH heck

Linky

Neat!  I will have a diopter on my SiG rifle.  I will have a Classic, and it will be good....I am excited about this gun.

Link Posted: 12/6/2008 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Wonder how the diopter sights will play out. It would be a must have with welded on units as on the Swiss guns. The new price points have got me concerned though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2008 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
new prices do NOT look favorable. $1899 over at mooney's for the standard one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2008 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I preordered mine for approx. $1500 shipped, I sure hope that doesn't go up. I haven't heard that it will from  my dealer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2008 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Just preordered my 556 Classic today!
Link Posted: 12/6/2008 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wonder how the diopter sights will play out. It would be a must have with welded on units as on the Swiss guns. The new price points have got me concerned though.

I hope that Sig Sauer has contracted with Derek at Aurora Industries to make their rear diopter.  That would be great for Derek and for 556 owners
Link Posted: 12/6/2008 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I preordered mine for approx. $1500 shipped, I sure hope that doesn't go up. I haven't heard that it will from  my dealer.

Where did you order it from?
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah You got that one right. Diopters will be nice. Wont have to worry about getting a T1 or M4S for a while and can still blast. BUT the price at 2099 is too much. 1500 for the plain jane version without quad rail in the gunshop I would pay. BUT 1700 plus no thanks.

We will see. Will be out most likely after christmas so nothing under the tree for me.

all 3 versions with MSRP ????

Bottom of list.

Link Posted: 12/7/2008 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah You got that one right. Diopters will be nice. Wont have to worry about getting a T1 or M4S for a while and can still blast. BUT the price at 2099 is too much. 1500 for the plain jane version without quad rail in the gunshop I would pay. BUT 1700 plus no thanks.

We will see. Will be out most likely after christmas so nothing under the tree for me.

all 3 versions with MSRP ????

Bottom of list.

+1, if folks can't get a price of $1,700 on any of these classic models, it will be a tougher sell than they think.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#11]
The new model 556 is very tempting. However I find myself now considering just giving in and obtaining a 55X complete lower. Even the current state of mag prices for them is doable considering what I paid for Galil 7.62 25er's back in the 90's.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you get it for that I'll be amazed.... and jealous.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered the red dot classic, should I have ordered the FLD DIOPTER option?

Or maybe I get the quad rail with FLD DIOPTER as a second classic gun?

I was thinking of buying a swat model too, maybe I will order a quad classic then a swat model.

what do you think?
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I pre ordered from herogearllc for 1699 earlier this week. This was before I read the 3 version talk so I guess I should call them up and request the Diopter version. They seem like good folks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#15]
2 local dealers said the Classic's MSRP was $2,099 and they are on the waiting list, but they said they would be selling them for around $2,500. I was for sure going to get one but its gone out of my price range now. Can get another AR15+AK47+GSG-5 for 1 of these Classics.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I have checked a few places, but most list the 2k plus prices.........which is more than I can afford........I guess I will go with the regular 556 and do some "improvements"
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah im just getting the regular.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
1500 for the classic is way below cost.  if you can some how get them for that i will take 50 of them and buy you one for your troubles. sig dose not even sell them that chea and i by over 150 guns a year from them. watch out!!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got off the phone with our SigSauer sales rep and ordered (2) 556 Classics, one for me and one for the store.  "Significant" dealer cost is $1,399 for the 556 Classic.  He said they will come just as shown on the SigSauer website (no 556 Pistol picture type screw ups this time) with the dot sight and are scheduled to ship in "2 weeks".  He also said SigSauer wants them in dealers hands by SHOT.  SigSauer seems a little sensitive about all of the past 556 problems.  Our Sig rep and always been accurate in the past so I hope to see 556 classics by SHOT.
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#20]
What problems....??
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What problems....??

One problem was that the pin used to fold the stock was not thick enough and cause the pin to fall out.  Which by the "new" pictures, they seem to of corrected it.

Link Posted: 12/9/2008 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
DrDeath - How about canted receiver sight rails, mismatched finish, sloppy fit between the receivers, etc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
DrDeath - How about canted receiver sight rails, mismatched finish, sloppy fit between the receivers, etc.

Hey Dog,
Ever try a foam ear plug under the rear receiver lug? Read that some time back and I'll be damned if it does not tighten it right up! Yellow ones work best.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]
DrDeath,
I heard about that ear plug trick..  My first 556 was one the first released to civilians, with all the stated problems.  I gotta say that Sig stepped up to the plate and did the right thing.  They replaced it after more than a year with a complete new weapon in the 17,xxx s/n range when the canted receiver wouldn't interface with the Samson railed hand guard.  My new one locks up tight. Notice the shape of the "new" lower receiver. The earlier ones didn't have that bump above the trigger, and the two horizontal bars extending back from the front take down pin, the top one is thicker on the new version.

I'm hoping to add a Classic to this pair.  I think SigSauer has come along way with improved design and QC.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd love a Classic model, but I can think of thousands of things I'd rather spend 2 grand on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm hearing nasty rumors that SigSauer is requiring dealers to by a "pistol package" of $3,000 per each 556 Classic ordered.  Same thing they did @ SHOT '06 with the then new 556.  Most dealers then waited for a year to receive a 556 that was full of problems.  

I've e-mailed our SigSauer rep for clarification, and will call him Monday.  When I ordered (2) Classics last week there was no mention of this.

Has anybody else heard of this?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I heard from our SigSauer sales rep today.  That is just a nasty rumor about needing to buy a pistol package if you are already a "SigNificant" dealer.  

I had previously ordered (2) 556 Classics and (2) 556 standards for the shop.
He said they are scheduled to be shipped in 3 weeks.   I'll be happy just to get them before B'HO and his democrap cronies get in gear with a new "assault weapon" ban.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#28]
The one I ordered will be here in 4-8 weeks,

I orderd the classic with red-dot.

better late then never.

I just cannot wait to take it to the range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
DrDeath,
I heard about that ear plug trick..  My first 556 was one the first released to civilians, with all the stated problems.  I gotta say that Sig stepped up to the plate and did the right thing.  They replaced it after more than a year with a complete new weapon in the 17,xxx s/n range when the canted receiver wouldn't interface with the Samson railed hand guard.  My new one locks up tight. Notice the shape of the "new" lower receiver. The earlier ones didn't have that bump above the trigger, and the two horizontal bars extending back from the front take down pin, the top one is thicker on the new version.

http://i34.tinypic.com/71gsol.jpg

I'm hoping to add a Classic to this pair.  I think SigSauer has come along way with improved design and QC.

Nice!
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#30]
any new word yet?

they said mine is 4-6 weeks backordered
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I've heard nothing new yet. I'll call my dealer tomorrow. As long as it shows up yesterday I'll be happy
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#32]
the week after New Year's
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Ok so after studying all info I can find and others have posted in the Sig Forum and in this thread, I have found a slight Difference.

In all info I have found about the Classic Version looking at Firing Line and the RSR, there might be 2 Different types of butt stocks. The Diopter and Railed Diopter versions all list "Fldg/Coll Stk" in the space for Stocks and grips I assume for Folding and Collapsible Stock. The Version with the Red Dot has "Side Folding" listed in the space for stocks and grips.  This is in two locations Someone go looking and make sure I'm not being a RETARD. I could be nothing BUT.  This kinda stands out when you look at details. I think we all assumed (Or atleast I did) the butt stock shown in the pic of the 556, with the red dot on it, was the telescoping and folding stock. I think someone said it looked like current SIG 550 series military production, or something planned for future 550 series mil versions. I'm not saying the version in the pic isnt or is a tele folder version Because it looks as if it has all the necessary hardware in all the right places to be a folder and possibly a tele stock.

Yes I know were splitting hairs but its the internet.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:26:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ok so after studying all info I can find and others have posted in the Sig Forum and in this thread, I have found a slight Difference.

In all info I have found about the Classic Version looking at Firing Line and the RSR, there might be 2 Different types of butt stocks. The Diopter and Railed Diopter versions all list "Fldg/Coll Stk" in the space for Stocks and grips I assume for Folding and Collapsible Stock. The Version with the Red Dot has "Side Folding" listed in the space for stocks and grips.  This is in two locations Someone go looking and make sure I'm not being a RETARD. I could be nothing BUT.  This kinda stands out when you look at details. I think we all assumed (Or atleast I did) the butt stock shown in the pic of the 556, with the red dot on it, was the telescoping and folding stock. I think someone said it looked like current SIG 550 series military production, or something planned for future 550 series mil versions. I'm not saying the version in the pic isnt or is a tele folder version Because it looks as if it has all the necessary hardware in all the right places to be a folder and possibly a tele stock.

Yes I know were splitting hairs but its the internet.

you know i didnt even think about that at all.  but im glad that you bring this up as this could be a major issue with me if indeed it is two different stocks.

the only thing i can say is if they want to call it a classic i think the lower is what will be different from the current 556's so by that i think its safe to assume that it will look like it does in pictures.

i just want one!
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I noticed that too but I wrote it off as random leave out. You do bring up a good point but i want the diopter model anyways.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Would be sweet if they offered it with the standard Swiss folder as well. Thats the one I'd go for.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I received my 556 Classic today.  It is exactly the rifle shown on Sig's website.  The stock collapses and folds, but the front handguards are ever so slightly different than in the sig photos.  The front handguard is more reminiscent of the 551 than the handguards shown on the Sig website.  I'm excited to take it to the range.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#38]
If you could get the model number or product code or item number and compare it to what been posted here.
Here are the numbers listed for diff. models from RSR's website.

SG556301  SIG M/556CL 16" ADJ/FLD RED DOT
SG556302  SIG M/556CL 16" ADJ/FLD QUAD DIOPTER
SG556304  SIG M/556CL 16" ADJ/FLD DIOPTER
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I received my 556 Classic today.  It is exactly the rifle shown on Sig's website.  The stock collapses and folds, but the front handguards are ever so slightly different than in the sig photos.  The front handguard is more reminiscent of the 551 than the handguards shown on the Sig website.  I'm excited to take it to the range.

pics??
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#40]
When you do the range report I have no doubt that the sig fakepoint is thumbs down but could you do a reticule pic/shoot with it for a few rounds to see how it is? Sweet rifle good job on picking it up first. You may want to go buy a lotto ticket while your luck is up
Link Posted: 12/29/2008 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got mine from Cabelas in PA. They got two in stock and I got number one.

I'm still drooling over it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2008 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics??

He posted pics in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Either of you guys want to tell us what you paid? Especially from Cabelas as this would help set a good base price
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Cabela's is selling the 556 Classic for $1750.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Went to Cabela's in Buda today and they had 3 classic's in stock for $1799.00 each.

First impressions:  The rifle looks great.  It feels lighter than the regular one, but this also had no optic on it, so that could account for some of the weight.  The stock is NICE!!!  I like that part the best, it folds and locks into a dimple that is on the handguards.  It collapses a small amount, but it is plenty.  Folded, the rifle will function, I think, and it makes a VERY compact rifle folded.  The handguards feel like they are made out of the same "type" of plastic that the standard fish gills are, but they feel like they are durable enough.  Overall, I think its a winner, and even though I almost did it, I couldn't bring myself to buy one at that price.  I'll wait to get one somewhere else cheaper.

the front sight is MUCH better than the front sights they were putting on the OR rifles.  Lack of sling loops on the rear was disappointing, but a MFI rail/diopter will fix that issue.

People should be excited about this gun, this is pretty much what people wanted from sig IMO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#46]
It's old news now, but here are some more pics of my classic.  I added a rail on the front handguards.  This rifle shoots even better than it looks.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii357/ksuperduty/4.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii357/ksuperduty/5.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii357/ksuperduty/6.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii357/ksuperduty/7.jpg
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice, ya know a little section of black tape behind the ejection port will spare ya the "brass kisses" on these 556s.  Would hate to see that beaute get dinged up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Nic Classic can't for min to cum in !!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#49]
is there going to be an SBR version?  Or do I have to buy the 556 classic pistol and then add a stock?
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I posted a couple of observations in a different thread but I will repeat them here.

The 556 classic has a very different ergonomic feel than the earlier 556 models.  The new lower receiver design has a different shape which completely changes the grip ergonomics.  It's essentially impossible to get the firing hand thumb to the safety while maintaining a firing grip - riding the safety in a ready position will be impossible for anyone who doesn't have plastic-man thumbs.  Same situation with the mag release, it's now impossible to reach with the shooting hand in anything resembling a normal grip.  For reference I wear XL size gloves, the vast majority of shooters are going to have more trouble than I did.

The stock design seems solid and usable.  Adjustment does require some force, unless it loosens up significantly in use there won't be any adjustment on the fly (not a problem IMO).  The folding mechanism was smooth with a solid lockup.

I can't believe that SIG had any human factors input into the new lower design.  Personally I could not recommend the 556 classic for a serious user due to the ergonomic problems.  YMMV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top