Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2017 8:18:43 PM EDT
I dropped off a "pistol" at an FFL that is also a class 3 manufacturer so that he could possibly build me an adapter.

We are 3 hours apart within the same state of residence and like I already mentioned "I" stopped at his shop and he took it into posession directly from me.

Can he mail it directly back to me or does it have to get mailed to a FFL?  

Another words do I have to do ANOTHER transfer on the same gun that I have already had a transfer done on and the only time it was not in my posession is while he (FFL) had it to work on?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I dropped off a "pistol" at an FFL that is also a class 3 manufacturer so that he could possibly build me an adapter.

We are 3 hours apart within the same state of residence and like I already mentioned "I" stopped at his shop and he took it into posession directly from me.

Can he mail it directly back to me or does it have to get mailed to a FFL?

Another words do I have to do ANOTHER transfer on the same gun that I have already had a transfer done on and the only time it was not in my posession is while he (FFL) had it to work on?    
View Quote

Federal law allows for the direct return of a repaired (or replacement firearm of the same kind or type) as long as your state law does not prohibit such a transfer.

From the ATF FAQ's
Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?
No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.
[27 CFR 478.124(a) and 478.147]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I dropped it off in person would that make a difference versus if I had mailed it to him?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dropped it off in person would that make a difference versus if I had mailed it to him?
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No
View Quote
Can he use USPS or does it need to be a private carrier?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]
USPS only handles shipments between "bona fide" dealers or manufacturers. That means private carrier.

Additional...because you say it's a "pistol", that means overnight shipping.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
USPS only handles shipments between "bona fide" dealers or manufacturers. That means private carrier.

View Quote
Thanks.

Yeah I guess that must be his dilemma because he doesn't want to pay the extra cost associated with 1 day shipping.

That sucks but it seems to be the way it is after doing some research myself.

The only reason I was asking is because it is extremely inconvenient for me to have to not only pay another transfer fee but also get away from work to go pick it up.

This will be the last time I drop something off to get worked on.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah I guess that must be his dilemma because he doesn't want to pay the extra cost associated with 1 day shipping.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure he'll ship it if you agree to pay the shipping - no reason for him to eat extra shipping costs on a walk-in dropped-off item.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not pay the shipping back to a customer either, they would have to pay for me to ship it back to them.  If they agreed to that, I would have no problem shipping it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting, an FFL recently shipped me a shotgun  (that was already mine) via USPS.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting, an FFL recently shipped me a shotgun  (that was already mine) via USPS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not a problem as the prohibition only applies to hand guns for non ffl's. Long guns can be shipped by anyone.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
do you know the meaning of "bona fide"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you know the meaning of "between"?
Jasonsbeer didn't give him the full answer, but since the OP was referring to a pistol, that's understandable.

Long guns (non-concealable firearms) are mailable by anyone, provided they follow ATF's to/from rules under the FFL licensing scheme established by the 1968 GCA (all that normal FFL transfer stuff).
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I did not mean that i expected him to eat the cost.  

He did at the time of dropping it off say that he would mail it back to me on his dime.

He apparently didnt realize that he needed to overnight it is where the problem comes from.

It is no big deal but I certainly wouldnt have let him talk me into letting him tinker with the project it if I knew the pain in the ass getting it back would be ; especially since he didnt accomplish anything.

Eta: He specifically said at the time shipping it back is no big deal since he is an ffl and its coming directly back to me.

Oh wel

Eta2:  i need to proofread before clicking submit
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
If he said he would ship it back to you, then he should ship it back to you! If he said on his dime, then on his dime!  He is the professional and is supposed to know the law!  Next day air for any handgun and it can come directly back to you, no transfer unless you live in a waky state.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bona Fide? I'm the damn paterfamilias!

The quote I replied to didn't specify handgun v. Long gun. But now that's been cleared up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top