Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 3:44:22 PM EDT
Hi,

Any place to get a copy of an FFL transfer?  I bought an AR lower in 2011 through a private FFL gentleman and I am unable to find my copy or his info.

I ask because I want to know if it was submitted as a rifle lower or unspecified.  Anyway to check using a S/N?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically, customers do not get copies of 4473s.  In fact, I recommend to my FFL clients that they do not give out copies.

If you purchased the receiver as a bare receiver, then it should've been transferred to you as such.  Even if the FFL mistakenly transferred it to you as a rifle, this is incorrect and not something upon which you can rely. Therefore, even if the FFL called it a rifle it is still legally a receiver until you make it into a rifle.

Even if you were to contact the manufacturer and confirm that it was sold as a rifle, it still doesn't mean that someone later didn't break it down into a receiver and sell it as such.

I can help more if I know why you're curious.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi,

Any place to get a copy of an FFL transfer?  I bought an AR lower in 2011 through a private FFL gentleman and I am unable to find my copy or his info.

I ask because I want to know if it was submitted as a rifle lower or unspecified.  Anyway to check using a S/N?

Thanks
View Quote
"submitted"? 4473s do not get "sent in" with serial numbers - just number and types of firearms. The only place that record normally exists is in the FFL's records, or at the Out-Of-Business Records Center of the ATF if the FFL has gone out of business and sent their records less than 20 years old in, as required.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the replies.

So, the FFL gave me a copy of the transfer. It was a stripped Spikes lower I had shipped to him from DSG Arms.

It's been sitting in the safe since then.  I was planning to build a rifle but Money tight and all....

So... After seeing my coworker's pistol build, I have become interested in maybe building a pistol to get around an SBR tax....  Something small for home defense.

Just wanted to know if this was on the level.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as it left the factory as a stripped receiver (and was never made into a rifle prior to being a pistol) then you may make it into a pistol. It really doesn't matter how the FFL marked the 4473.

Once first assembled as a pistol, you may later reconfigure into a rifle and then back into a pistol at will.

They used to offer stripped lowers marked PISTOL because some people are nervous about these things, although I think that's overkill.
The serial number will verify its configuration as it left the manufacturer. That is how ATF would check (if they ever did).
I always assemble my stripped lowers as pistols first, so I have the option to reconfigure later.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool, thanks for that.  BTW- how would anyone know how and when you configured stripped lowers??

Honor system?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
They wouldn't, unless you told them, or took pics or something. You'll never end up having to prove it to anyone.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If it has been sitting in the safe, build what you want, it does not matter what was marked on the 4473.  Legally you can't build into a rifle, then switch to a pistol, but if you build as a pistol first, you can pretty much do what you want in the future..  Normally the person who is purchasing does not get a copy of the 4473, so it is odd that he gave you one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe it wasn't the 4473.  I know I had to fill out that and a similar for for MD state.

It was the bottom carbon copy.  I remember getting this before the ban just to be safe.

Thanks All for the replies. Now I have to spend money that I don't have... LOL
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#9]
4473's don't have carbon copies so it's probably the state form you're thinking of.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]
That had to be a state form, I have had my FFL for close to 20 years now and I have never had a carbon copy 4473
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as it left the factory as a stripped receiver (and was never made into a rifle prior to being a pistol) then you may make it into a pistol. It really doesn't matter how the FFL marked the 4473.

Once first assembled as a pistol, you may later reconfigure into a rifle and then back into a pistol at will.

They used to offer stripped lowers marked PISTOL because some people are nervous about these things, although I think that's overkill.
The serial number will verify its configuration as it left the manufacturer. That is how ATF would check (if they ever did).
I always assemble my stripped lowers as pistols first, so I have the option to reconfigure later.
View Quote
Doesn't matter if it was stripped or assembled as a rifle or pistol lower. Until it can fire a round it's still a receiver.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#12]
But then, is it a rifle or pistol lower? Or just a lower with a stock? 
You are correct though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW- how would anyone know how and when you configured stripped lowers??
View Quote
that's just one reason why the whole thing is ludicrous. But no one expects their rules to make logical sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top