Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2017 3:49:36 PM EDT
Non ffl here.

So I bought a gun yesterday. Filled out the e4473, ffl did his thing and printed it out. I signed it as required. Took my new gun and went on my merry way.

He calls me today and says I need to come back, because I never signed it (4473)... swearing up and down that he watched me do it as well.

So I figure maybe I messed up and signed the wrong space (this isn't my first rodeo...), but I KNOW what I did it right. While I have him on the phone, I ask him to make me a copy for me records. Commence rant about it being illegal and his ffl # and a bunch of other junk.

I go in today after work and sign it again, right where I did yesterday. Obviously it's a new copy. Whatever, I don't want to deal with this guy anymore, as I have places to be.

Called the local ATF field office and another local ffl. They both see no reason why I can't have a copy (I wasn't going to throw the ffl in question under the bus to the ATF just yet for losing the original). The other ffl suggested that the guy lost the original.

This whole situation seems completely unacceptable to me. Something is not right here, I feel like he's hiding something.

What say you, arfcom ffls? Am I being unreasonable?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
<----FFL/SOT
No ATF regulation or Federal law prohibits a dealer from giving the buyer/transferee a copy of the 4473. In fact, it's not uncommon for some rebates to require a copy.
But other than "feels" what makes you think he's up to no good? Quite possibly you didn't sign the form.

TL/DR .....your dealer is an idiot for not confirming the 4473 was complete on day 1.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the fact that I explicitly remember doing so, and the unwillingness to make a simple photo copy, when all the info is publicly available (besides MY personal info, but it's going to ME).

He had also claimed that no possible way was a non-ffl supposed to have even blanks, which of course any idiot can buy, directly from the ATF at that!

It feels like he's hiding something other than generic incompetence for losing the papers, he could've just said they got misplaced and made a stupid copy, but I guess he doesn't need my money...

This, coupled with much more than normal derp seems off to me. I'm just going to take my business elsewhere from now on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you're being unreasonable. It's logical that he lost it, or that it was damaged somehow. In any case, he should have been willing to provide a copy.

Yes, blank 4473 forms are free to everyone. Anyone can download all FFL licensee info as well (except C&R info. They took that off the online database after they pitched a fit.)
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hence I'm not sure if he's just stupid or doing something shady.

Maybe, benefit of the doubt, if he was that shady he'd have just forged my signature.

Going off what the ATF agent (desk jockey, good guy, bureaucrat, who knows) said, he is not *required* by any law to provide it.

I'll stop over thinking it and see what some of the other local ffls have to say about the situation. The one I asked, I didn't reveal their competitors at first, the lady commented this is typical practice/attitude (not necessarily losing the paperwork part) of the one in question.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
He probably spilled coffee on it
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#6]
You should not sign another 4473 on another day.  You will either be putting the new date which will not be the accurate date of the transfer or you will be back-dating it to match the actual date.  Both scenarios equal you putting incorrect information on a 4473 = bad news.  The cleanest approach, if you want to participate, is to have the FFL acquire the firearm from you and then re-dispose it to you with a new FFL.  Of course, you could ignore it if you did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the wonderful world of FFL jerkwad's. Not all are like that so when you find a good one stick with them. He sounds like the type that just spilled an entire soda on it or misplaced it but isn't the type to say "sorry, can you please come sign another one" and avoid all the bullshit drama. He'd rather be one of those low IQ hard asses instead of admitting a mistake. As far as a copy, meh you can find all the info online like you said. Life is to short to be pissed at stupid stuff other people do so move on and find a new favorite FFL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
For the most part all of it is a non issue. Any number of things could have happened. if the 4473 appeared the same and the questions were answered as you answered them then just sign it and be on your way. Yes they should have caught it. Meh.. Shit happens.
As for nonsense from them about a copy of the 4473. Fuckin stupid. I gave any one that purchased a firearm a copy if they asked. No valid reason not to.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Non-event on you end, no need for you to make an issue out of it. Just sign it and get on with your life.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He probably spilled coffee on it
View Quote
This is about what I was thinking.  He may have goofed on one of his fields on the form and instead of correcting his mistake simply printed a new form out and gave you the story so that you would come back and sign the reprint.

BTW - even if this is the case, there is a procedure on how to correct mistakes when they do happen (assuming his dog didn't eat it):

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-licensee-notices-error-atf-form-4473-after-transfer-what-procedure-record-correct
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
You did more than I would have.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You did more than I would have.
View Quote
Yeah, lets screw FFLS who make a mistake, that is what our industry needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top