Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2017 10:48:26 AM EDT
New FFL here. (Well, second time around vs. 25 years ago)
A customer wants to buy a Muzzleoader with 209 ignition. Is the 4473 required? is shipping to an FFL required? It is not a model of Muzzleoader that has interchangeable barrels that would enable firing with a modern cartridge/ammunition ability. There's conflicting information out there.
Shipping to New mexico.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's not capable of firing modern ammunition then I would think it does not require 4473 or FFL. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.atf.gov/file/56421/download

Several years ago ATF determined that an in-line muzzle
loading rifle using #209 shotgun primers for
ignition was not an antique firearm and was subject
to all provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA).
However, the GCA was amended in 1998 and
many in-line muzzle loading rifles are now antique
firearms and are excluded from the provisions of
the GCA.
View Quote
I didn't know either. There are exceptions...you should read at the link.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks- A local large shop here keeps them in a separate logbook and no 4473 is needed according to them, they have about a 2k inventory.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
New FFL here. (Well, second time around vs. 25 years ago)
A customer wants to buy a Muzzleoader with 209 ignition. Is the 4473 required? is shipping to an FFL required? It is not a model of Muzzleoader that has interchangeable barrels that would enable firing with a modern cartridge/ammunition ability. There's conflicting information out there.
Shipping to New mexico.
View Quote
A muzzle-loader is considered an "antique firearm" (even if it was made yesterday) and is exempt from the definition of a "firearm."  Therefore, no 4473, no logging it into your A&D book, etc.  

Now, be careful... some newer "muzzle-loaders" are made on the receiver of a firearm (i.e. Remington 700 Muzzle-loader).  Even though the "muzzle-loader" is not a firearm, you are still transferring a Remington 700 receiver - which is a firearm!

Happy to send my credentials for this answer. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top