Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2017 11:03:16 PM EDT
Some of ,y customers are telling me they would prefer to fill out 4473s on some sort of computer, instead of writing them out in ink.

They say when they go to Bass Pro or Wal-Mart that 4473s are done on a computer and it is easier.

What are my options in terms of hardware/software?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Not all sure what is needed. Internet connection and computer running the software. I have done it at Gander and Cabela's. Didn't know walmart had it as an option.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The Atf actually has a free Windows software for filling out 4473. I haven't installed it to use it but I have played with it. This might be what you are looking for in terms of just customer 4473 fill in on a pc

Check Atf website. I vaguely remember it being called E4473 or something
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The ATF has an eForm 4473 application.  Just remember if you use it, you have to print out all six pages of the 4473 yourself.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ATF has an eForm 4473 application.  Just remember if you use it, you have to print out all six pages of the 4473 yourself.
View Quote

Usually when you print with Windows after you press print in the software your windows print window should pop up. There u can change it to which pages, how many copies, black white etc.

I haven't used the e4473 so I not sure if that window pops up. But usually almost any Windows printing does.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Usually when you print with Windows after you press print in the software your windows print window should pop up. There u can change it to which pages, how many copies, black white etc.

I haven't used the e4473 so I not sure if that window pops up. But usually almost any Windows printing does.
View Quote

You misunderstand.
It is an ATF requirement that the dealer print all six pages of the Form 4473. The dealer can't chose to print just pages 1, 2 & 3.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
That is the one thing I HATE about buying a gun at Wal-Mart or Bass Pro.

It takes me way longer to fill out the form by typing it and clicking each box than it does to fill one out by hand. If it were an option I would do a hand written one every time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You misunderstand.
It is an ATF requirement that the dealer print all six pages of the Form 4473. The dealer can't chose to print just pages 1, 2 & 3.
View Quote

This...^

The Form 4473 is free from the ATF.  Ink/toner is not.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is the one thing I HATE about buying a gun at Wal-Mart or Bass Pro.

It takes me way longer to fill out the form by typing it and clicking each box than it does to fill one out by hand. If it were an option I would do a hand written one every time.
View Quote

I am glad you brought that up. Our customer base is a little older and I always figured it would be easier to fill it out by hand than on a computer.

If I do decide to add software I will give the option to fill it out by hand, as well.

I don't mind printing out all 6 pages of the form. We have had to do that the past month and a half anyway since we didn't get enough of the new 4473s.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some of ,y customers are telling me they would prefer to fill out 4473s on some sort of computer, instead of writing them out in ink.

They say when they go to Bass Pro or Wal-Mart that 4473s are done on a computer and it is easier.

View Quote

You can always use Coloseum Software they offer a e4473, and I think Rapid POS offers a driver license scan that auto fills a 4473. But all of those can get expensive I think you should just use the ATF's version.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#10]
How hard is it for them to scribble in ink for a whopping 90 seconds or so
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got stuck behind an elderly gentleman at the Cabelas firearm checkout. He had 0 experience with computers and they would not allow the person with him to help.
Worst part, I was buying a cap and ball revolver. I didn't need to fill out anything but they still put me through the the line.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I got stuck behind an elderly gentleman at the Cabelas firearm checkout. He had 0 experience with computers and they would not allow the person with him to help.
Worst part, I was buying a cap and ball revolver. I didn't need to fill out anything but they still put me through the the line.
View Quote

That's an example of HORRENDOUS customer service
There's a  difference between feeding someone answers and assisting someone who is technologically impaired
Cabellas should hear about that one from you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big Box stores are among the worst for customer service and doing things properly.

The 4473 in its instructions specifically allows a buyer to have help filling out a 4473.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I run a real deal mom and pop. Part of my customer service is giving my customers what they ask for. My customers are asking for this.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I run a real deal mom and pop. Part of my customer service is giving my customers what they ask for. My customers are asking for this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In eight years I've yet to have anyone ask to do it like Cabelas.

The day one of my customers prefers the way Cabelas does it is the day I close up shop.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've had a few of my older regulars bring it up too.
They bitch about the electronic form screwing up while they're trying to data enter.
I figure a transfers never going to take less than 30 minutes and sometimes far more than that once both of us are done catching up on whats going on.
The paper form isn't any more time intensive in the bigger picture
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you're going to go this route, you'll want to get a program that includes your bound book as well. We use FFL Tools.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#18]
If you're wanting to go the way of electronic 4473's, I would recommend doing so along with an electronic boundbook system.

AIMI eBook is really fantastic software, even though the GUI is a little old school. The design is nice because there are a lot of checks and processes to ensure that you don't screw up anything.

It's super simple to navigate, most people figure it out on their own, and I've had people in their 80's manage it pretty easily. Another benefit is that for those really high strung customers who do a lot of transfers, you can set it up where they can actually prefill the 4473 via an iPhone app(it goes into your incoming 4473 on the computer) so when they come in it's just a matter of associating the firearm and printing it out/signing. You can also integrate it to auto populate fields on the NICS website, which saves a bunch of time.

The setup in our shop was basically two computers off to the side with a couch next to it. Almost everyone who used it loved it, especially first time buyers, as it holds your hand through the process. Another large benefit was that in rush times, you can send someone over to the computer out of the way with very little involvement from you, which frees you up dramatically to handle other things.

The NFA Form management also worked really well. In addition, you can get a scanner to not only scan drivers licenses, but barcodes when receiving inventory. Just scan the box for the Serial number, and automatically print out a barcode/tag for your internal management of products.

I honestly could not imagine running a store without using some form of Software. It streamlines it dramatically, is much faster, and provides additional oversight into your own operations. There are times when processing 10-20 4473s at once that would have been a mess without it(between running NICS, delays, CHL/CWLs, etc) that were super simple with.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#19]
narphenal

Thank you for your informative post! I will definitely look into the software you suggested.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
narphenal

Thank you for your informative post! I will definitely look into the software you suggested.
View Quote

No problem. If you ever have any questions or anything more in depth, feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am glad you brought that up. Our customer base is a little older and I always figured it would be easier to fill it out by hand than on a computer.

If I do decide to add software I will give the option to fill it out by hand, as well.

I don't mind printing out all 6 pages of the form. We have had to do that the past month and a half anyway since we didn't get enough of the new 4473s.
View Quote

I accidently ended with an extra box. IM me and we'll see what we can do if ya still need them
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I accidently ended with an extra box. IM me and we'll see what we can do if ya still need them
View Quote

Thank you for the offer, that is very kind. However, we finally got a box of them in.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Maybe they don't know how to write or make an x.  Reading the text would be identical.  Too lazy to hold an ink pen for 90 seconds.........they voted for H.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top