Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2017 10:46:26 AM EDT
Thinking about getting my SOT in May/June, I had a client ask me if he bought a suppressor could he come to my FFL (home based) and shoot the suppressor. I have land, but I told him that probably wouldn't fly since it's technically leaving the premises. I figured I would ask here to get a better prospective.

Also, if I purchased one from my FFL (it's an LLC), can I take it to the range before tax stamp comes back? I'm about 99% sure the answer is no, just asking. That 9-12 month wait sucks lol.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking about getting my SOT in May/June, I had a client ask me if he bought a suppressor could he come to my FFL (home based) and shoot the suppressor. I have land, but I told him that probably wouldn't fly since it's technically leaving the premises. I figured I would ask here to get a better prospective.  
View Quote

It's fine if you are still in control of the silencer. (Gun shops with ranges do this all the time). Most people define control as being within eyesight of each other. Are you prepared to let him come over multiple times to shoot? Imagine the worst case.

Also, if I purchased one from my FFL (it's an LLC), can I take it to the range before tax stamp comes back? I'm about 99% sure the answer is no, just asking. That 9-12 month wait sucks lol.      
View Quote

If you pay SOT, you don't need to get a stamp unless you are transferring from your LLC to yourself.....and I can't think of any reason to do that.
I take my SBR's, SBS's and silencers to the range all the time and I don't have a stamp for any of them. All are on a Form 3.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
So u are using the FFL's suppressor and SBR and it's not a problem without a stamp? I'm a little confused now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So u are using the FFL's suppressor and SBR and it's not a problem without a stamp? I'm a little confused now.
View Quote

<----FFL/SOT .........doesn't need a stamp.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
But ur allowed to use them even though they are technically owned by the FFL? Are they for sale still as used items or how does that work?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But ur allowed to use them even though they are technically owned by the FFL?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But ur allowed to use them even though they are technically owned by the FFL?

Are you the boss or an employee?
If you are the boss you can do whatever you want.

Are they for sale still as used items or how does that work?

Well, that up to you. If you actually go out and shoot that firearm it just became "used".

And that has nothing to do with your lawful possession of an NFA firearm.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
So it's lawful for me to use it even though it's owned by my FFL which is an LLC? Im not saying ur wrong or anything, I just don't want to run into a problem with the ATF or NFA lol.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So it's lawful for me to use it even though it's owned by my FFL which is an LLC? Im not saying ur wrong or anything, I just don't want to run into a problem with the ATF or NFA lol.
View Quote

Ownership has nothing to do with anything........it's about lawful possession. With a Form 3 in hand you are in lawful possession.

Ever heard of all the guys with Glock 18's or other post 1986 machine guns? How do you think they get to shoot those toys?
Or ranges that rent machine guns. They aren't even transferable on a Form 4.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I get what ur saying now. That makes sense. And about the machine guns, I haven't ever really thought about that aspect lol. Thanks for clarifying, I love this forum.

Guess I'll be waiting 4 months instead of 12 then
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top