Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2017 6:50:37 AM EDT
*** my post title might be a little over dramatic***

My question, like many others, involves an out of state transfer.  The situation is John doe won a gunbroker auction, found and spoke with a local ffl to receive.   Local ffl contacted the auction ffl with all there information, so the forearm got shipped.  Local ffl has not been heard from by buyer or seller, but tracking shows that it has been picked up at local usps.  

So everyone knows the buyers me, I won't mention any names because it's only been about 2 weeks that the ffl won't return calls, I want to give them a chance to explain.  The ffl that has my pistol is a home run business.    I notified the ffl I won the auction from yesterday of the situation.  

Maybe I'm just paranoid.   Any information would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Talked to an ATF agent about that. More common than you think. Call the sheriff!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate sleazy gun people.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate sleazy gun people.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I moved right across the river, from WV to Ohio and now I have shit for ffl's around me.. even bigger chain ffl's are crap to work with around here.   I found the ffl on gunbroker suggested list.  Maybe I should report there so more people don't go through the same thing I am.  

Do I have a leg to stand on when I contact a sheriff?  It was never in my name.  I can get all the information that the other ffl has.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Go knock on his door.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My question, like many others, involves an out of state transfer.  The situation is John doe won a gunbroker auction, found and spoke with a local ffl to receive.   Local ffl contacted the auction ffl with all there information, so the forearm got shipped.  Local ffl has not been heard from by buyer or seller, but tracking shows that it has been picked up at local usps.  

So everyone knows the buyers me, I won't mention any names because it's only been about 2 weeks that the ffl won't return calls, I want to give them a chance to explain.  The ffl that has my pistol is a home run business.    I notified the ffl I won the auction from yesterday of the situation.  

Maybe I'm just paranoid.   Any information would be greatly appreciated
View Quote

"the ffl won't return calls" won't return calls or hasn't returned calls?

"I notified the ffl" notified him or sent an email/text/vmail that you cannot be certain he received?

I do not see an issue here, this is normal for a lot of home FFLs. You are just going to have to wait till you make actual contact, like knock on his door, to talk to him as opposed to texting, emailing, etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Talked to an ATF agent about that. More common than you think. Call the sheriff!
View Quote

Calling 5-0 on your FFL is seriously stupid, besides the Sheriff has no jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"the ffl won't return calls" won't return calls or hasn't returned calls?

"I notified the ffl" notified him or sent an email/text/vmail that you cannot be certain he received?

I do not see an issue here, this is normal for a lot of home FFLs. You are just going to have to wait till you make actual contact, like knock on his door, to talk to him as opposed to texting, emailing, etc.
View Quote

Kind of what I'm thinking,  I've only ever left messages on his machine.   Im pretty patient, I don't want to do anything drastic!   I was just curious because demons were growing in my mind, fearing the worse.  So that made me wonder if there was anything to protect against this.  2 weeks is nothing, but if it takes 2 months I would involve police if that's the only option.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would involve police if that's the only option.
View Quote

The police cannot do anything. No crime was committed. This is a civil matter. Work on making contact with FFL. Probably business trip, vacation, or sickness cover about 99% of these situations.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go knock on his door.
View Quote

This.  Try to make physical contact.  If he's married/gor family, maybe they'll answer the dkor and let you know.
He may be on vacation, he may be in the hospital, he may be at annual training, he may be dead.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess this is true
Maybe he is dead, vacation, business trip.  He was quick to call me back before.  The tracking info shows that they attempted to deliver, Noone was there to sign. Then 3 days later it was picked up at the post office.  I would think he could have called then.  Now it's been a little over 2 weeks from the day it was picked up.    

I'm use to vetting a seller, making sure you get the firearm, I never dreamt about vetting someone with a federal firearms license.  Not transferring a firearm you received that's not breaking any atf rules?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#12]
His phone number could have changed. Try alternative means of contact: email, facebook messenger, in person, etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not transferring a firearm you received that's not breaking any atf rules?
View Quote

Nope. No legal requirement to transfer a gun to anyone.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not transferring a firearm you received that's not breaking any atf rules?
View Quote

Nope.  With most "professions" that require licenses, the stated purpose* of the license requirement is to protect customers (for just a few examples, consider attorneys, doctors, contractors, and barbers).  To a greater or lesser degree, those professions have enforceable rules to protect the customers--for example, if I as an attorney fail to protect my clients' confidences, I can lose my license or face other discipline from my licensing body.

An FFL is something completely different, and has nothing to do with customer protection.  The (ATF) rules under which they operate similarly have nothing to do with customer protection.  Rather, the licensing requirement and regulations are, theoretically (and misguidedly), intended to protect the public at large.  ATF has no f*cks to give about how well FFLs treat their customers, and no way of enforcing it even if they did.

* I'm not going to get into the issue of how well professional licenses protect the customers of those professionals, but that's at least the stated purpose
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#15]
You put that nicely.  The atf is to service rules, not the shop or the customer.  Worse case senerio I smear his name anywhere I can and I'm out 600 bucks, best case senerio, it was just a miss understanding.   I'm gonna try to go to the address given.   I do have some faith in my fellow man, so maybe all will turn out OK.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope. No legal requirement to transfer a gun to anyone.
View Quote

Well, to be precise... His license imparts no legal requirement to transfer the firearm. However, if ffl willingly engaged himself in this business transaction he does have a civil legal obligation to conduct and complete the transaction in good faith.

That is not to be interpreted to override any criminal laws that may otherwise prevent him from doing so.

Failure to do so could make him liable for the other parties losses.

In any event, op, if it gets to that point you've already Lost. Go knock on his door, get you gun. And find a new ffl.

Lots of wannabes out there with ffls that have no idea what it means to be professional.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Update?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Go knock on his door... maybe slip on the ground a bit and give the door nudge with your foot so the frame has to be repaired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top