Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2017 11:35:12 PM EDT
I take it that you can store inventory at another location also without that 'other' location being licensed.

(C3) May one license cover several locations? [Back]

No. A separate license must be obtained for each location. However, storage facilities are not required to be covered by a separate license, although the records maintained on licensed premises must reflect all firearms held in the separate storage facility. Firearms may be shipped directly to separate storage facilities as long as they are properly recorded as an acquisition in the licensee's records.

[27 CFR 478.50]

What qualifies as a seperate storage facility?

i.e. If I need to take a gun home over the weekend and do some stippling work on it in my garage shop and throw it in a safe there is that kosher? Or since I'm "working" on it do I need to get a seperate license for that premise?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What qualifies as a seperate storage facility?

i.e. If I need to take a gun home over the weekend and do some stippling work on it in my garage shop and throw it in a safe there is that kosher? Or since I'm "working" on it do I need to get a seperate license for that premise?
View Quote

If all you do is store guns or do non-manufacturing work on guns there, then the separate facility does not need to be separately licensed. The "licensed premises" location defines where you are authorized to conduct transfers of firearms, other than gun shows in your state as defined under law, and where you are required to conduct your licensed manufacturing activities, if applicable.

If your "working" isn't manufacturing activity, you're OK, otherwise you need to do that "working" at your licensed premises.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:48:51 AM EDT
[#2]
My local ATF agent who does the interviews made it "crystal clear" that I would be in hot water if I stored firearms in an off sight location without prior approval from her and physical inspection of said storage facility. Then she commented the storage facility would need to be accessible for FFL inspections.

I think she was just giving me a bunch of BS. Anyone have any insight?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My local ATF agent who does the interviews made it "crystal clear" that I would be in hot water if I stored firearms in an off sight location without prior approval from her and physical inspection of said storage facility. Then she commented the storage facility would need to be accessible for FFL inspections.

I think she was just giving me a bunch of BS. Anyone have any insight?
View Quote

The notification part and prior approval and inspection part is rubbish. The last part is true, that the storage location is subject to inspection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top