Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2017 9:55:39 PM EDT
quick question

new to the FL game got my FFL in July i am home based

if i want to put a gun from private collection onto my bound book to sell do i use my private information or my FFL number in the acquisition part?

let say i buy 2 hang guns under my FFL and take them for my own. do i have to fill out the multiple handgun sale form.
I am in NY so i have to add the handguns to my permit which is in the works,

i figured i would ask here before i ask the ATF  

thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sole prop or LLC, or what?

The answer depends on your business entity set-up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Sole Prep
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
SP is supposed to put ALL of their privately owned guns into their book on day 1. Use your personal info.

SP does not have to fill out federal multiple purchase form.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#4]
that first part is not what the IOI told.me at my interview i was told they had to be seperate.from my business guns
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If you intend to sell some of your firearms you need to enter them. If no plan to sell, not needed. This is a whacky regulation as you are supposed to know years in advance what personal firearms you might sell.

Best practice is enter them all, then sign back out to yourself what you want for personal.

February 2011 FFL Newsletter:

The regulations provide that prior to commencing a firearms business, a licensed dealer shall inventory the firearms possessed for the business, and shall record these firearms in his or her bound book. 27 CFR 478.125(e).
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
[ok thanks did not know that
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SP is supposed to put ALL of their privately owned guns into their book on day 1....
View Quote

Says who?
I've had five IOI's (two premises inspections and two compliance inspections) confirm I should only enter firearms I ACQUIRE while a licensee. They recommended either tagging my existing personal firearms or keeping them in a separate safe. If I intend to sell or transfer those personal firearms they recommended entering them into my bound book as received from my personal collection and disposed via 4473/NICS.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Says who?
View Quote

Says the document I was given when I got my license. Which appears to have been superseded by what I posted above.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#9]
They advocate a personal collection log, but do not insist your personal collection is logged in.  If you are planning to acquire or dispose of personal weapons thru your FFL then log them in "from owners personal collection" or "transferred to owners personal collection".  If your personal guns intermingle with the business guns, they advise to hang tag them "owners personal collection".

Personal firearms record

Here is a more definative answer: Page 7

"The regulations provide that prior to commencing a firearms
business, a licensed dealer shall inventory the firearms
possessed for the business, and shall record these firearms in
his or her bound book. 27 CFR 478.125(e). Accordingly, if a
dealer possesses firearms that were acquired prior to obtaining
his or her license, and which are possessed for the business,
the dealer is required to include these firearms in the records
prior to commencing his or her business. This would include
all such firearms that the dealer intends to sell at some future
date. However, there is no obligation to record the acquisition
of personal firearms that the dealer obtained prior to receiving
his or her license, as long as he or she does not intend to sell
such firearms. Please note however, that such firearms must
be kept apart from the dealer’s business inventory of firearms.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/newsletter/federal-firearms-licensees-newsletter-february-2011/download
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top