Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2017 11:39:19 AM EDT
As some of you already know, home-based FFLs can be tricky as it is difficult to sign for all firearms if no one is home.  I'm going through this right now as I'm quite literally a one-man-show.

Picking packages up at the local counter is fine, although more time consuming. I also ran into the situation recently where some shippers will not allow pickups.  (a.k.a. Brownells and FedEx)

I'm in the process of researching an alternative mailing address for my FFL. I found a local office supply business that will rent me a private mailbox for $100 a year.  That sure seems like a great idea.  I ran this idea through my local ATF agent, and he of course pointed out the regulation in the latest guide (shown below)

The sentence he's stuck on is the last one, where the language suggests that it is my responsibility to ensure safe and secure receipt.  He then asked specifically about how I intent to prevent convicted felons from working at this office supply place, and also prevent persons under 18 from handling my packages.

I understand his concerns. He's basically just trying to get me to be as proactive and responsible as possible.  There is also clearly a "CYA" aspect as well.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has considered these potential problems when using a rented private mailbox?  Do you think I should speak to the office supply owner, and possibly get some sort of written agreement regarding felons and minors? Or would be better to try and be discrete as possible?

I'd like to be as responsible as possible.  I'm just not sure how far to take this.  And unfortunately I don't have any better delivery options.  Friends and relatives are either too busy, or too far away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of researching an alternative mailing address for my FFL. I found a local office supply business that will rent me a private mailbox for $100 a year.  That sure seems like a great idea.  
The UPS Store will receive from any carrier. I've used them for seven years with nothing but excellent results.

I ran this idea through my local ATF agent, and he of course pointed out the regulation in the latest guide (shown below)

The sentence he's stuck on is the last one, where the language suggests that it is my responsibility to ensure safe and secure receipt.  He then asked specifically about how I intent to prevent convicted felons from working at this office supply place, and also prevent persons under 18 from handling my packages.
Neither is your problem. UPS/FedEx/USPS employment and hiring practices aren't your concern either.
"Safe and secure" means "please don't leave it on the porch"
Your IOI has no authority to disapprove what address you choose to receive packages.

I understand his concerns. He's basically just trying to get me to be as proactive and responsible as possible.  There is also clearly a "CYA" aspect as well.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has considered these potential problems when using a rented private mailbox?
Not my concern.
 Do you think I should speak to the office supply owner, and possibly get some sort of written agreement regarding felons and minors?
Nope

Or would be better to try and be discrete as possible?
You're changing the mailing address on your FFL........that isn't the same as changing your premises. Your IOI has no say.

I'd like to be as responsible as possible.  I'm just not sure how far to take this.  And unfortunately I don't have any better delivery options.  Friends and relatives are either too busy, or too far away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I do the UPS box too.  it works great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top