BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2016 1:44:04 PM EDT
I was curious of this question.

Let's say for example.

Customer A wants to transfer an SBR to Customer B

Customer A slaps a 16inch barrel on the SBR

Customer B purchases the firearm either knowing about the swap or not knowing (I'm curious on both )

FFL who has NO idea about any kind of ploy or anything.

Records the acquisition, and begins his nics check on customer B and upon approval logs the disposition and transfer the firearm.

Is there anything in place that Would stop this? I don't think the nics check would.

This is all hypothetical obviously.

thanks guys

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't slapping the 16" barrel make it no longer an SBR, therefore no longer an NFA weapon?

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You're in AZ, why is it going through an FFL in the first place?

And yes, once the short barrel is removed and a 16"+ barrel is installed, it no longer falls under the purview of the NFA.

Now if Customer B wants to install a short upper he's going to have to file a Form 1 and start over.  This might raise some questions with the ATF that will likely cause some delays while Customer A sends them a letter stating that the rifle was sold as a Title I firearm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
In that example the rifle would still be an SBR.  A NFA item has to be taken off the registry before it isn't NFA regardless of the barrel length currently on the item.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any mechanism that the NCIS check would catch the situation.  I highly doubt the systems are connected, there isn't really any reason for them to be.

IMO, the seller would be ultimately responsible and the one changed as long as the buyer or FFL didn't know of the situation.  The seller would likely be revealed of the rifle with no reimbursement and I could see an audit in the FFL's future.

Interesting question though.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
a NICS check is a background check to see if the person doesn't have anything that would deny from having the firearm transfer. the only thing that is even mention about a firearm to NICS, is it's a long gun,  pistol or other (receiver).  they don't ask  the make, model, status, SN rtc....  of the firearm
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In that example the rifle would still be an SBR.  A NFA item has to be taken off the registry before it isn't NFA regardless of the barrel length currently on the item.
View Quote

Nope.  Nothing is ever taken off the registry.  It would just be annotated that it's no longer Title II.  ATF has stated in writing that an SBR is the sum of it's parts.  Without the short barrel it's no longer an SBR.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good try, but as noted, no. An SBR/SBS is no longer considered NFA when not configured as such. An SBR/SBS is not such by its registration or lack thereof, it's an SBR/SBS by its configuration. The registration just makes its possession lawful.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
You still have an NFA stamp assigned to that serialized lower.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

There can be dozens, possibly even hundreds of stamps, associated with a particular serial number. They are no longer valid when the registration changes.

There is in fact a robust aftermarket in NFA stamps on Ebay and the like to stamp collectors, for NFA, especially AOW type $5 denomination, stamps that are no longer relevant to the firearm for which they were issued.

Think about it - you buy a machinegun. Sell it.  You've still got the stamp, but there's a new one out there, and the registry has been updated to reflect a different owner.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is there anything in place that Would stop this? I don't think the nics check would.

View Quote

There is no reason to stop it. It is legal sale of a rifle.

Now if customer B slaps Customer A's short upper on it, that is a problem, but not the FFLs problem.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#10]
All I wanted to know was if someone brought in a rifle which was registered as an SBR and did some shadyiness and swapped the barrel just to forego the stamp process on a transfer.

You know what fuck the SBR

Let's say it was a damn full auto whatever.

All I'm asking is. Is there something which triggers the FFL in any way regarding that "stop this is an NFA weapon"
For example let's say someone brought in an m16 lower only took out the sear etc.

Being that the gun is registered under NFA (and the FFL it was brought to is not an sot) u know what never mind.
There is no way to track it.

I guess all I was asking is when you an sot is there any extra steps in transferring an NFA item.

Btw I didn't realize that putting a 16iinch barrel on an SBR automatically made it not registered as an SBR anymore. Yes I understand it's NOT a "short" barrel anymore but the serial number for the firearm is still under SBR status.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All I'm asking is. Is there something which triggers the FFL in any way regarding that "stop this is an NFA weapon"
View Quote

No.

I guess you have not done any NICS checks yet?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're in AZ, why is it going through an FFL in the first place?

View Quote

You realize this is the FFL forum right ?

I wasn't asking about a private transfer.

Even though AZ doesn't require an FFL on a private transfer. There's many people that would still like to use an FFL for whatever reasoning of their own.

Also this was all just a hypothetical question.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Several

I guess I should have been more clear in the beginning and just asked if an sot has any different/extra steps.
But anyway I did originally say I don't think a nics check would stop anything.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Several
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Several

Then why do you need to ask if they could stop a transfer of an NFA weapon since you do not provide identifying info such as a serial number
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Good try, but as noted, no. An SBR/SBS is no longer considered NFA when not configured as such. An SBR/SBS is not such by its registration or lack thereof, it's an SBR/SBS by its configuration. The registration just makes its possession lawful.
View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Then why do you need to ask if they could stop a transfer of an NFA weapon since you do not provide identifying info such as a serial number
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Several

My original post I stated that "I don't think a nics check would"

I was just asking a hypothetical situation. I'm not an sot. And I was just asking a curious question geez.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was just asking a hypothetical situation. I'm not an sot. .
View Quote

It does not matter if you are an SOT or not. NICs is handled the same for both.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is there something which triggers the FFL in any way regarding that "stop this is an NFA weapon"
View Quote

If the transfer dealer is knowledgeable enough to recognize that the firearm is full-auto versus semi-auto (doesn't have to be AR, could be anything) and the seller is engaging in shenanigans, then his best course of action is to tell both parties to GTFO of his premises before he calls the cops and the ATF.

There is  no "trigger" from NICS.  The FFL should be knowledgeable enough to know when something screwy is going on.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There can be dozens, possibly even hundreds of stamps, associated with a particular serial number. They are no longer valid when the registration changes.

There is in fact a robust aftermarket in NFA stamps on Ebay and the like to stamp collectors, for NFA, especially AOW type $5 denomination, stamps that are no longer relevant to the firearm for which they were issued.

Think about it - you buy a machinegun. Sell it.  You've still got the stamp, but there's a new one out there, and the registry has been updated to reflect a different owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if they don't NFA the lower they purchased from you, which was once a stamped item?
Say, if they keep it as a 16" configuration.

To the ATF, if you sold it private sale they wouldn't know the wiser. To them it's still an NFA item assigned to you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And if they don't NFA the lower they purchased from you, which was once a stamped item?
Say, if they keep it as a 16" configuration.

To the ATF, if you sold it private sale they wouldn't know the wiser. To them it's still an NFA item assigned to you.
View Quote

Be a good idea for the previous registrant to write a letter to the NFA Branch, notifying them the firearm was reconfigured as non-NFA and sold off as a Title 1 firearm, then.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just asking a hypothetical situation. I'm not an sot. .

I shuda been clear originally I know nics isn't different either way. I was just asking anything different for an NFA transfer. My mistake
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I shuda been clear originally I know nics isn't different either way. I was just asking anything different for an NFA transfer. My mistake
View Quote

No NICS check on NFA is the most obvious difference.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:22:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats not what i was asking. i meant transferwise.......but about nics and NFA.. there ARE ffls. who always have and still do nics for NFA even though its clearly noted that theres NO need. with the new 41F i guess it dont matter if the ffl does an ffl check or not .
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

thats not what i was asking. i meant transferwise.......but about nics and NFA.. there ARE ffls. who always have and still do nics for NFA even though its clearly noted that theres NO need. with the new 41F i guess it dont matter if the ffl does an ffl check or not .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the EXACT reason I do NOT come to a forum to get educated on what it takes to operate as an FFL!!!  In my case I worked at a brick and mortar gun shop (damn near for free) for 3 years to get a basic education in the business.  The owner could not emphasis enough about reading the CFR and all associated forms.  If you have questions then write in a letter and submit it to the BATFE so they can respond in writing.  At the end of the day a "he said she said" on a forum is NOT going to save your ass when you fail a compliance inspection.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I shuda been clear originally I know nics isn't different either way. I was just asking anything different for
View Quote

You can't fix stupid.  In any business, there are always folks who cannot read or understand the rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top