Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2016 2:59:10 AM EDT
So im signed up with numerous distributor.

Although no salesperson has come to me about a stocking dealer program, but i see the info and stuff on the sites.

I know i can ask these questions to my salesguys but they are so damn PUSHY on to buy product etc.

The less i can talk to them(for the time being) the better. Of course i know i will need them when it comes to finding hard to find allocated type stuff etc..

Anyways..

For example on these stocking Dealer Programs. The Glock stocking program.

You buy xxxx and you get xxxxx
ok fine. also you have to sign their stocking program agreement etc.

Most of these stocking programs state you cannot advertise for below MAP

im assuming im NOT bound buy these MAP rules if im NOT a stocking dealer and NOT signed up with glock on an agreement ETC

So i can advertise a lower price than MAP? not that im planning to do that. Im just wondering if theres something i have to do.

Most retail businesses you buy and sell whatever you want. I just wanna know is there some crazy stuff (terms & conditions) when i opened my accounts that i cant advertise below MAP etc.

For those that are gonna say "read your terms & conditions"  im not doing that.

Also i dont think i would want to ask the sales people to give them an idea and maybe it will affect me in a negative way.

Im just wondering incase i run some specials or something like "Buy this and get this xx% off"

thanks guys..
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
As for MAP, Glock enforces MAP against Distributors whose dealers (even if not a Glock SD) sell below MAP. So you will get cut off if you try that. Unless you are small and go unnoticed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As for MAP, Glock enforces MAP against Distributors whose dealers (even if not a Glock SD) sell below MAP. So you will get cut off if you try that. Unless you are small and go unnoticed.
View Quote

Thanks man, You always got the answer im looking for.. Im sending you a PM regarding something..
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The stocking dealer programs are there to help your bottom line. There is MAP on certain things.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Glock is likely one of the most price controlled brands in the firearms industry.

At the direction of Glock, I've seen wholesalers cut of dealer's who were selling below MAP.

If you aren't willing to read the terms and conditions for particular brands or products, being an FFL probably won't end very well for you.

Reading and reading comprehension is pretty important in this line of work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Glock is likely one of the most price controlled brands in the firearms industry.

At the direction of Glock, I've seen wholesalers cut of dealer's who were selling below MAP.

If you aren't willing to read the terms and conditions for particular brands or products, being an FFL probably won't end very well for you.

Reading and reading comprehension is pretty important in this line of work.
View Quote

I never said I don't read them. And again not everything is on map rules. But I do got a good idea of the ones that are(and care to enforce) the distributor sales guys I got are great. Esp davidsons guy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand the purpose of a stocking dealer program, but in the end I think it hurts the company. A gun sold is a gun sold, and many small FFL guys can't carry the variety of inventory some manufacturers demand. I'm looking at the recent move by Colt in particular in saying this.  But they aren't alone. Throwing some freebies at a stocking dealer as a thank you is one thing. Saying you have to be a stocking dealer to sell their stuff at all...nope.

At that point it looks like the manufacturer just wants to fatten up THEIR bottom line and doesn't care that the small FFL can't move all that product on a regular basis....
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the gun industry operates on business models developed in the 1950s or earlier.

Dealer programs make sense when dealers can add significant value and generally don't offer competing products. That is not how most gun stores operate.

Then they have no idea why they have so little market share.

While some really do get it, they are few and far between.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
SIG did away with with thier small SIGnifigant dealers with yearly sales under 100k .
Pissed off a lot of small dealers that had done the buy in with them.
Now Colt with a stocking dealer program.
Arrogant bastUrds
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Zander's posts the MAP for Glock products, many distributor don't seem to, but it's easy to find Glocks advertised under MAP. A quick search of some of the bigger internet guys shows that. Obviously they are not flying under the radar.

They must have a seperate deal directly wtih Glock? I know, Glock's stuff, Glock's rules, but it seems to tear down what MAP is supposed to be about.

Same goes for other MAP brands like MAGPUL and YHM.

edited for clarity
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Zander's posts the MAP for Glock products, many distributor don't seem to, but it's easy to find Glocks advertised under MAP. A quick search of some of the bigger internet guys shows that. Obviously they are not flying under the radar.
View Quote

It is harder for Glock to enforce MSP on internet dealers as they cannot easily ID the distributor.

B&M stores are easy. They just pick up a Glock and run the SN to see which distributor supplied it. This was the tactic they used here in DFW.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, aside from the MAP, some stocking dealer programs can be beneficial, others not so much.  But it depends on what you, as a dealer, are looking to sell.

For example, a Glock stocking dealer gets access to the armorer's programs.  Some manufacturers run promotions where factory shooting team members will stop by.  If you have a range, many will sponsor a range day and allow customers to test guns and provide free ammo.  There's also the discounts, ability to sell at law enforcement discounts, some advertising co-buys (used to be a lot more), store promotional materials and so on.

Besides, for MAP just do a store discount or advertise "call for price" to get past some of the pricing issues.  Or run a package deal, the Glock and included free sight upgrades, ammo, holster and extra magazines.  Besides, there's not enough markup on guns anyway.

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#12]
You don't have to be a stocking dealer to be bound by MAP pricing. You can sell for less you just are not supposed to put it in writing. Honestly, as a fairly new business myself you aren't going to get anywhere selling for less than MAP on Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
SIG is pretty strict on MAP pricing as well. I use software to run my website and I have gotten several MAP violation notices from SIG this year. We got it sorted out with the software supplier but it just goes to show that manufacturers are out there. They use software to crawl websites and find violations.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Exactly.  Margins suck at MAP, why sell below it?
View Quote

Well it depends on the market. In competitive markets, MSRP is a dream, and MAP is often then best you will get. The dealers here in DFW selling below MAP were getting volume discounts, so the more they sold the lower the purchase price. They had tight control of costs, and made more money in volume than trying to get a higher price.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you a brick and mortar store? Many of the programs are only available if you have a storefront.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you a brick and mortar store? Many of the programs are only available if you have a storefront.
View Quote

My FFL location is my office. It's a commercial office building with a retail door etc. it's mainly for another business but that business only requires a desk 3 chairs and a copier/printer.

I am considered brick and mortar with all the distributors I have dealt with thus far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top