Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 4:36:26 PM EDT
Do you guys keep copies of the receiving/ship to FFL's license

My buddy (we are both FFL's) said once he records the transaction he throws out the dealers signed copy of his license.

He sells a lot on Gunbroker and he gets the copy from the dealer, he records the info from the gun an the dealers license number where it being shipped to in his A&D book and then just throws away the hard copy.

I said thats not what I was told 15 years ago during licensing interview?

He said they were wrong, there is no legal requirement to hold onto that hard copy.

What say ye all?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
We don't keep them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
No legal requirement to keep them, if you've verified and recorded them in the A&D book. No penalty or issue in retaining them for records, other than physical storage space if you're not scanning them and storing them that way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you guys keep copies of the receiving/ship to FFL's license

My buddy (we are both FFL's) said once he records the transaction he throws out the dealers signed copy of his license.

He sells a lot on Gunbroker and he gets the copy from the dealer, he records the info from the gun an the dealers license number where it being shipped to in his A&D book and then just throws away the hard copy.

I said thats not what I was told 15 years ago during licensing interview?
He said they were wrong, there is no legal requirement to hold onto that hard copy.

What say ye all?  
View Quote

I do not keep copies for any transactions sent or received.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The only reason you may want to keep them is if it will be an FFL you will be doing repeat business with. That way, they don't have to send you a new copy  with each transaction.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I do keep them just because. Have some going back to 1989 along with all my 4473's from the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Scan and store to computer in case I need to send something to that FFL someday.  The hard copy gets shredded.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
i have been putting them in the back of my A&D book, for now once i get moving i am going to scan them all
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Scan and store to computer in case I need to send something to that FFL someday.  The hard copy gets shredded.

View Quote
Yep, I am cleaning out filing cabinets today LOL

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Everything associated with the transfer gets stapled to the 4473. Copies of the sending or receiving FFL, packing slips from distributors, purchase coupons for handguns and dealer copies of forms that go to Albany
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everything associated with the transfer gets stapled to the 4473. Copies of the sending or receiving FFL, packing slips from distributors, purchase coupons for handguns and dealer copies of forms that go to Albany
View Quote

You do realize the ATF is going to hate you when you turn in 20 years worth of that shit when you eventually give up your license.  They scan all those forms.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You do realize the ATF is going to hate you when you turn in 20 years worth of that shit when you eventually give up your license.  They scan all those forms.
View Quote

Let them hate me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't keep them.  The number is recorded, as long as it's valid at the time recorded, that's good enough.  Next renewal they'll have a different form, new numbers and I can't guarantee they'll be in business even next week.  Don't have the filing space for useless paperwork.

Jeff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top