Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2016 10:06:55 AM EDT
New FFL here with some rookie questions;

I am in the process of documenting all my personal firearms into a separate and dedicated A&D book per my IOI's recommendation.  I have run across a few scenarios that I do not understand. Any insight would be appreciated.

1.  I have a couple stripped AR-15 lower receivers.  Do I simply enter them into my book, but leave the caliber section blank?  Or do I wait until I have completed the entire build before entering these receivers?

2.  Should I include my registered suppressors into this book?  

3.  Some of my personal firearms have been with me a long time, and it would be a tall order to remember the FFL dealer at which they were purchased. What should I do with the column requiring this information?  Simply enter as much as possible?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Why are you cataloguing your personal collection in our record book???
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are you cataloguing your personal collection in our record book???
View Quote

Hes doing his own a&d book i think.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I was told to keep two A&D books. One for my FFL business, and one for my personal collection.  In this way, it is very easy for ATF auditors to know the difference between personal guns and business guns.  Also, it makes it easy for me to sell myself a gun.  I simply dispose of it in the FFL book, and acquire it in my personal book.

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am in the process of documenting all my personal firearms into a separate and dedicated A&D book per my IOI's recommendation.  I have run across a few scenarios that I do not understand. Any insight would be appreciated.

1.  I have a couple stripped AR-15 lower receivers.  Do I simply enter them into my book, but leave the caliber section blank?  Or do I wait until I have completed the entire build before entering these receivers?

3.  Some of my personal firearms have been with me a long time, and it would be a tall order to remember the FFL dealer at which they were purchased. What should I do with the column requiring this information?  Simply enter as much as possible?

Thanks in advance
View Quote

No such requirement by ATF regulations. There IS a requirement on how you identify any personal firearms stored at your premises. Your IOI is inventing shit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
So what is the "requirement" for identifying personal firearms?  I thought a personal A&D was a clean idea.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So what is the "requirement" for identifying personal firearms?  I thought a personal A&D was a clean idea.
View Quote

Throw a hang tag on them that says something like privately owned firearm or something. No reason the over think it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A "personal A&D" doesn't meet the ATF requirement.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-store-personal-firearms-business-premises
May a licensee store personal firearms at the business premises?
Yes, however, such firearms must be kept segregated from the licensee’s business inventory. A presumption exists that all firearms on a licensee’s business premises are for sale and must be entered in the licensee’s bound book. Licensees should appropriately identify or tag personal firearms as “not for sale.”

http://www.nssfblog.com/personal-firearms-and-your-ffl-business-site/
and
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/tags-tickets/batf-personal-firearms-tags-prod21336.aspx
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Is your business a Sole Proprietor? Operate out of home?

If so:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/newsletter/federal-firearms-licensees-newsletter-february-2011/download
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't operate your business at the same location where you store your personal firearms.

Or,

Don't store your personal firearms where you have your business.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, lots of good info.

I'm a member of an LLC, of which I am the only member. I do operate my FFL business out of my home.

My plan is to physically separate all my personal firearms in a different gun safe.  And I still like the idea of a separate A&D book for my personal collection, so that is my plan for documentation.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I  use a tag that say Private firearm not for sale.
and then i log the info from the gun onto the tag
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I just put a tag on my personal firearms. I also keep them in a big gun safe.I  have a smaller safe for holding customer's guns for transfers and in the very rare case i have some real inventory that I bought for resale.   I taped one of my business cards to the front of the small safe, but that is not required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top