Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2016 7:11:40 PM EDT
So just to confirm. A finished 80% is treated as a firearm. And must go through a ffl, even it we are both Texas residents?

Scott

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
A finished 80% is a firearm.

Or another way of saying it is that you built a 100% firearm by starting out with an unfinished (80% completed) block of material.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A finished 80% is a firearm.

Or another way of saying it is that you built a 100% firearm by starting out with an unfinished (80% completed) block of material.
View Quote

So even though we are in the same state, it has to go through a ffl yes?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Follow whatever laws your state has regarding the private sales of firearms.

In CA, private sales of firearms must go through a FFL.

In TX, I don't know...maybe someone can chime in...
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas allows private face to face, no FFL involved.

OP is wondering if a lower can be shipped between private individuals that are both living in and residents of the state of Texas without going through FFL.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So just to confirm. A finished 80% is treated as a firearm. And must go through a ffl, even it we are both Texas residents?
View Quote

No

FTF/FTW
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No

FTF/FTW
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

FTF/FTW

What is ftw?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What is ftw?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

FTF/FTW

What is ftw?

For The Win

Can the buyer and seller feasibly meet face to face?  Or is this a situation where the buyer and seller are both in TX and the seller wants to know if it's legal to ship the receiver directly to the buyer?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For The Win

Can the buyer and seller feasibly meet face to face?  Or is this a situation where the buyer and seller are both in TX and the seller wants to know if it's legal to ship the receiver directly to the buyer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

FTF/FTW

What is ftw?

For The Win

Seller in San Antonio, buyer in El Paso. 600 miles and change apart.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#9]
FYI if you sell an 80% that you have machined to 100%, you are required to add all of the manufacturer's data to the lower, i.e. Your Name, Your City and State, Model Number, Caliber and a Serial Number.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FYI if you sell an 80% that you have machined to 100%, you are required to add all of the manufacturer's data to the lower, i.e. Your Name, Your City and State, Model Number, Caliber and a Serial Number.
View Quote

If you're a licensed manufacturer you do. Individuals have no such requirements for "Title I" firearms.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you're a licensed manufacturer you do. Individuals have no such requirements for "Title I" firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is recommended, not required by the ATF to engrave a serial number on the lower only to aid in identification if it is lost or stolen.

I do not understand why so many people keep spitting out that bullshit. The one I love the most is "it is illegal to sell a completed 80% lower" or "once you finish it, it is yours forever". Another funny one is "a gun without a serial number is illegal".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top