Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 9:32:17 AM EDT
I would like to start a business building and selling UPPER receivers ONLY from parts already manufactured. Do I need a FFL of any kind? I was told I need a 07 FFL and to register with ITAR with a $2250 a year fee, limited to 50 sales before taxes had to be paid. Anyone doing this? Any lawyers here? ATF agents lurking around that can answer my question. :)
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Itar for uppers???

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Uppers are not firearms.  No FFL is needed.  You will need the ITAR registration though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uppers are not firearms.  No FFL is needed.  You will need the ITAR registration though.
View Quote

Itar not needed?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
IMO.. No FFL and No ITAR. However. You are still technically bound by ITAR regulations on sales to forigen nationals or delivery of US Muntitions List Items to a forigen Country. Which an AR upper falls under !
It is not a grey area. Anything AR related is a Munitions list item and can not (knowingly) be exported out of the US without license from the State Dept.

Normaly items like receivers and barrels that have a manufacturing excise tax attached are paid by the actual manufacturer of the component. It would amount to double taxation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Itar not needed?
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/20161011_093444_zpsph0umlmx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/20161011_093444_zpsph0umlmx.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Itar not needed?
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/20161011_093444_zpsph0umlmx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/20161011_093444_zpsph0umlmx.jpg</a>

As for Item D, it was my understanding that if you had someones complete firearm overnight for coating, you needed an FFL, in particular, if you were disassembling and reassembling the weapons. Same with engravers.

OP, if you can qualify and get an FFL, why not just do it?  It opens up a lot more avenues of cash flow.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#6]
ITAR is required

(h) Components, parts, accessories and attachments for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (g) of this category

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=86008bdffd1fb2e79cc5df41a180750a&node=22:1.0.1.13.58&rgn=div5
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy parts, build and sell, then ITAR applies. Sell parts first then buld for customer, no ITAR.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Why do the IOI's give wrong info???
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy parts, build and sell, then ITAR applies. Sell parts first then buld for customer, no ITAR.
View Quote

Not true,
While ATF considers assembly as a manufacturing operation, the State Department does not.

Meaning you buy parts, lowers, uppers and assemble a firearm you'll need an 07FFL but do not need to pay ITAR.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not true,
While ATF considers assembly as a manufacturing operation, the State Department does not.

Meaning you buy parts, lowers, uppers and assemble a firearm you'll need an 07FFL but do not need to pay ITAR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true,

I called the 1800 # spoke to them about assembling ar15s from parts kits. They said no registration required and would send a letter stating so. I think you are correct tom.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I called the 1800 # spoke to them about assembling ar15s from parts kits. They said no registration required and would send a letter stating so. I think you are correct tom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true,

On FFLs Only there is a letter from DDTC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top