Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2016 4:10:19 AM EDT
So all the time I see on forum classifieds for when someone is selling xyz firearm "make sure your FFL accepts from individuals "

I assume is this mainly from a security liability standpoint ? Because I've heard stories where people will mail firearms to FFL with a BS name and what not.

I'm just trying to understand the thought behind this.

People who do respond that are ffls can you please tell me

If you do accept
How so and process

If you don't
Why not

Thanks !
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So all the time I see on forum classifieds for when someone is selling xyz firearm "make sure your FFL accepts from individuals "

I assume is this mainly from a security liability standpoint ? Because I've heard stories where people will mail firearms to FFL with a BS name and what not.

If you do accept
How so and process

If you don't
Why not

Thanks !
View Quote

Some FFLs do not accept packages from non-FFLS. Reasons include no ID included, no name or number of recipient, chances of empty box and then hesaid/shesaid, etc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some FFLs do not accept packages from non-FFLS. Reasons include no ID included, no name or number of recipient, chances of empty box and then hesaid/shesaid, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do accept
How so and process

If you don't
Why not

Thanks !

I get that but how is the FFL liable if box is empty ? Obviously his job is to log the item. Can't log what you don't have and can't be responsible if you can't log it in.

I just see on a lot of gun forums (ar15.com too) that a seller is selling a firearm and they state "make sure your FFL accepts from nonffl individual"

I was just wondering why an FFL would or wouldn't.

Any other reasons ?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I get that but how is the FFL liable if box is empty ? Obviously his job is to log the item. Can't log what you don't have and can't be responsible if you can't log it in.

View Quote

You may want to pass on an FFL if you cannot see the immense hassle you will have to deal with if a crooked seller sends you an empty box.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You may want to pass on an FFL if you cannot see the immense hassle you will have to deal with if a crooked seller sends you an empty box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont plan on dealing with crooked sellers.

obviously i would vet whoever i buy.

and again if the seller is crooked thats for the buyer to deal with. im just the ffl doing the transfer..

but again its just a question. i was actually asking more of a personal question not really when being an ffl. i just wanted to know out of curiousity thats all,

My wanting to be an FFL has to do with making money. Obviously firearms are my hobby but so are buncha other stuff and i have the means to have an office for my other businesses
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
im curious as to what tremendous hassle i would be facing if im the one doing a transfer for someone?

individual sends me the firearm
i open the box and its empty
i call the buyer and tell him

buyer has to deal with the seller on it

how am i hassled if i never even transferred in anything(log in) yet?

im assuming if you are an FFL you are someone who doesnt accept from individuals. Am i correct?

im not saying im going to accept randomly from people. but if i have a good customer that wants to transfer in something. i would do it for him, but obviously with precautions. I would also tell my customer(buyer) that he is liable for everything until i can actually log it into my books.

How is my FFL or myself on the hook without logging it in?

I kinda doubt the buyer is gonna accuse me of stealing it. (im sure its happened before) but i dont plan on dealing without doing some checking into first and like i said. the customer would be liable for it until i logged it in.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:28:34 AM EDT
[#6]
unless the FFL screens every single package every day they have no idea what showed up. They also have no control over someone sending them something unless they just refuse every package they don't recognize. Which is a pretty crappy way to run a Busniess. There is no liability on them...they don't  have any control over stuff showing up out of the blue.
Just enter the gun in the Log Book and wait. Sooner or later someone will contact you. If you did not get the info needed when you logged it in you keep the shipping label and make a notation on the paperwork left with the gun while in your care. It is a no brainier. The gun is not leaving the shop until you have the correct info for the A&D Log Book.
the Busniess of handling transfers is part of having an FFL. Most are easy. Once in a while one is a cluster Fk because the people involved did not understand what was needed or how it works. It is not a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
unless the FFL screens every single package every day they have no idea what showed up. They also have no control over someone sending them something unless they just refuse every package they don't recognize. Which is a pretty crappy way to run a Busniess. There is no liability on them...they don't  have any control over stuff showing up out of the blue.
Just enter the gun in the Log Book and wait. Sooner or later someone will contact you. If you did not get the info needed when you logged it in you keep the shipping label and make a notation on the paperwork left with the gun while in your care. It is a no brainier. The gun is not leaving the shop until you have the correct info for the A&D Log Book.
the Busniess of handling transfers is part of having an FFL. Most are easy. Once in a while one is a cluster Fk because the people involved did not understand what was needed or how it works. It is not a big deal.
View Quote

THIS.

The only time I've received an empty box was from another FFL. He spent $70 to ship me a an empty pistol box. Turned out his clerk grabbed the box for their display gun and didnt check it before stuffing it in a fedex box.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
im curious as to what tremendous hassle i would be facing if im the one doing a transfer for someone?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is extremely naive to think your involvement ends with notifying the buyer. You are going to be filling out forms and making calls to the shipper, ATF, the buyer and maybe even the seller. Many FFLs conclude this risk is not worth the hassle.

Quoted:

im assuming if you are an FFL you are someone who doesnt accept from individuals. Am i correct?

No, not correct.

Quoted:
im not saying im going to accept randomly from people. but if i have a good customer that wants to transfer in something. i would do it for him, but obviously with precautions. I would also tell my customer(buyer) that he is liable for everything until i can actually log it into my books.

If you do xfers, you will be accepting randomly as the previous two posters pointed out. You keep using the word "liable" and I have not used it. It is not about liability, it is about work & hassle. When things go wrong,YOU the FFL have to deal with it, you cannot force it on the buyer.

Quoted:

I kinda doubt the buyer is gonna accuse me of stealing it. (im sure its happened before) but i dont plan on dealing without doing some checking into first and like i said.

ROFL. Just read ARFCOM. FFLs get accused of stealing guns if they are not available for xfer to the customer 30 seconds after UPS man leaves store.

Checking? How do you plan to check a seller beforehand?

Anyway, I am not here to bust your balls. But you need to think some of your questions through. It is not as simple as you want it to be. I am not arguing what you should or should not do. I am just referring to you what I hear. Maybe an FFL who refuses individual shipments will chime in.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#9]
What I'm trying to say is.
If some seller ships an EMPTY box
There's nothing to log
I understand if something random shows up, sure I'll log it in.
BUT IM NOT ACCEPTING RANDOM STUFF
Unless I know about it. I'm not accepting it. Nothing random about it. If I don't know about it then I'm not accepting it.  

Besides my stuffs gonna go to the local ups store most of the time so returning or refusing isn't a big deal.
When I get to the ups store I can refuse it.  I don't have anything to deal with if I refuse it since I didn't know about it. One of the advantages of shipping to one (ups store)

Why would I have to deal with an empty box? I never received anything I wasn't even able to log it.
How can I "deal" with it if I don't even have it?

I mean sure if I had the actual firearm info such as make model serial type but why would I be contacting the ATF unless it obviously shows it's been stolen (box cut damaged etc) ? Being that most firearms are treated special there shouldn't be a problem with the package being tampered with.

My original question was regarding an FFL taking in something from an individual by mail to do a transfer for a buyer.  A buyer who is buying something online.
I didn't say I would randomly accept stuff.  And you are responding from what you have heard. I could understand if you were an FFL chiming in.

You keep saying hassle and random

If some random crap shows up how could I even contact the guy if it's random?
I saw a thread about an FFL receiving a random locked rifle case with an ID posted on front. Nothing else. After asking people what to do. He finally cut the locks
And logged in what he found inside. A rifle and a pistol.

Now can we wait for some ffls to chime in on this ?

We all hear stuff all the time on the Internet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
If you don't want to get sent random stuff don't do transfers.

Also many distributors and other FFL's will only send to the premises address, not the mailing address, and sometimes without insurance or signature required.  Stupid yes but that's how they roll, so you can expect to come home to find a stack of boxes containing guns by your front door.  It happens to us once or twice a month.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's nothing to log
Unless I know about it. I'm not accepting it. Nothing random about it. If I don't know about it then I'm not accepting it.
View Quote

We are way off track here. You asked why some FFLs do not do individual xfers, I gave you some reasons. I am not interested in YOUR business practices, or if the reasons are valid or not. Your question has been answered.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There's nothing to log
True.

How will you know if it's "random"? More than a few dealers will have firearms drop shipped. Your customer told you he bought a gun from Bud's (in Kentucky), yet the box arrives from Bill Hicks Distributors (in Minnesota)......you gonna refuse that? If so, you won't be in business very long.

Besides my stuffs gonna go to the local ups store most of the time so returning or refusing isn't a big deal.
Then you will have little say in what gets accepted, the clerk at The UPS Store will sign for your packages.

When I get to the ups store I can refuse it.  I don't have anything to deal with if I refuse it since I didn't know about it. One of the advantages of shipping to one (ups store)

Why would I have to deal with an empty box? I never received anything I wasn't even able to log it.
It would indicate a stolen firearm. In case you weren't aware, ATF regs require you to notify them when a firearm is missing or stolen.
So yeah, you get to deal with it.

I mean sure if I had the actual firearm info such as make model serial type but why would I be contacting the ATF unless it obviously shows it's been stolen (box cut damaged etc) ? Being that most firearms are treated special there shouldn't be a problem with the package being tampered with.
What gave you the idea that "firearms are treated special"? Nothing could be further from the truth.

My original question was regarding an FFL taking in something from an individual by mail to do a transfer for a buyer.  A buyer who is buying something online.
You would be amazed at how many of your customers buy guns to be transferred to you and they'll never bother to give you a heads up. What do you think will happen when you start refusing those shipments? 1. You'll piss off your customer. 2. That sending dealer will just tell your customer to find another more cooperative dealer. 3. Your customer will tell all his friends about the asshole that returned his gun. 4. You lose business.

I didn't say I would randomly accept stuff.  And you are responding from what you have heard. I could understand if you were an FFL chiming in.
RenegadeX IS an FFL. If you bothered to read any of the hundreds of threads in this subforum you would know that.

I saw a thread about an FFL receiving a random locked rifle case with an ID posted on front. Nothing else. After asking people what to do. He finally cut the locks

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's nothing to log
True.

How will you know if it's "random"? More than a few dealers will have firearms drop shipped. Your customer told you he bought a gun from Bud's (in Kentucky), yet the box arrives from Bill Hicks Distributors (in Minnesota)......you gonna refuse that? If so, you won't be in business very long.

There is a difference between knowing a customer ordered something and and him telling me so. And just random boxes showing up. I get that
And I wasn't talking about FFL to FFL like you are stating about drop shipping.  I'm strictly talking about non FFL to FFL

Then you will have little say in what gets accepted, the clerk at The UPS Store will sign for your packages.

And I HAVE returned/refused something after arriving to pick it up at ups

It would indicate a stolen firearm. In case you weren't aware, ATF regs require you to notify them when a firearm is missing or stolen.
So yeah, you get to deal with it.

I get the fact that if it's stolen. But a random empty box shows up automatically I have to assume it's a firearm? Think about that.  Also reporting to ATF. How would one go about that? Reporting something when there's nothing ? I don't mean when it has labels etc from shipper. I mean suspicious non labeled box with no clues no NOTHING

What gave you the idea that "firearms are treated special"? Nothing could be further from the truth.
I meant as in ups taking special precautions on delivery that there is a firearm(signature etc)

You would be amazed at how many of your customers buy guns to be transferred to you and they'll never bother to give you a heads up. What do you think will happen when you start refusing those shipments? 1. You'll piss off your customer. 2. That sending dealer will just tell your customer to find another more cooperative dealer. 3. Your customer will tell all his friends about the asshole that returned his gun. 4. You lose business.
I get this part too.  I'll worry about my business on how it's run. And again I'm not just doing random transfers.  I get the fact customers are jackasses too. I've owned the worst kind of retail businesses (liquor stores) so I'm well aware of customers antics. And when there's guns involved in sure it gets worse.  

RenegadeX IS an FFL. If you bothered to read any of the hundreds of threads in this subforum you would know that.
He just replied previously that he wasn't? When I asked (but it was somewhat vague)
And cut me some slack I don't sit around the computer all day reading forums. Matter of fact 99% I do posting and reading on my phone. So yes give me some time to go over the hundreds of threads.

Geez
Starting to feel like I asked on AkFiles

But I do appreciate the information and stuff. It is a nice discussion
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Ok. FFL receives empty box that either a Private person or FFL states was supposed to have a firearm in it.
Proper conduct for the receiving FFL is to contact the person or FFL that shipped it to them and let them know "Hey you Shipped me an empty box".
Receiving FFL has zero liability at this point. They made notification of the firearm not showing up and hopefully took notice as to the condation of the packaging and relayed that info or pics to the sender and saves packaging. Sender looks into it and says either "oops, I screwed up. new box on the way" or "No. it was in the box, Shit".
The sender then contacts the shipper to get the ball rolling and waits a couple days to see if the shipper comes up with anything.
Shipper says they do not have it so the sender then files a Claim with the shipper. The Sender is responsible for notifying the ATF that a firearm was lost in shipment not the receiving FFL..they never got it and the sending FFL was the last to have the firearm on the books. The receiving FFL again has no liability what so ever.
If the ATF wants to investigate it they will call or show up and listen to each sides story. 99% of the time it is just a notify and amend the log book issue. File the paperwork and move on. No Big Deal.

None of this helps your customer and causes friction but.. That is the process. Sorry it can not be helped.

Now. someone could accuse the receiving FFL of steeling it. That is all they can do. Short of some pretty compelling evidence that the receiving FFL has been involved with that type of conduct and a search of the building then all anyone can do is point a finger. More likely that people would consider the sender as the culprit !

Playing the CYA game when you have an FFL is really pretty easy. Something does not look or feel right ? Keep a paper trail on the issue. You are bound by law as the responsible party as soon as that firearm enters your property or the disposition of same when it left.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
RenegadeX
and
Dogtown...
are 2 of the Best HERE  to help...people (&other FFL's)
maybe 2 more might have jumped in... but after reading...
found no point to just repeat their ANSWERS

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 ...I'm strictly talking about non FFL to FFL...
View Quote

Okay.........when you go to The UPS Store to pick up that days deliveries, what might indicate that the box is from a "nonFFL" or an FFL?

If you think it's the shipping label you will be surprised.

99% of dealers/distributors/manufacturers do not use their name on the shipping label.....ie. you won't have a box marked Bud's Gun Shop or Palmetto State Armory.
Often you will not know the identity of the shipper until you open the box.

Do you plan on opening every box in the lobby of the UPS Store?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]
We do not make transfers that are received from non FFLs. We will ship it back to the sender through an FFL in their state and then if they choose, they can ship it back through an FFL. A FFL is not required to transfer the firearm. As for the reason, we choose to deal only with other FFLs as there is then a clear paper trail of the firearm. No offense to anyone but just because someone wants to skip paying an FFL to ship their firearm is not our problem and is not something we choose to be involved in.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He just replied previously that he wasn't? When I asked (but it was somewhat vague)
And cut me some slack I don't sit around the computer all day reading forums. Matter of fact 99% I do posting and reading on my phone. So yes give me some time to go over the hundreds of threads.

View Quote

You did not ask if he was an FFL.  You asked if he was an FFL who refused shipments from non-FFL individuals.  He happens to be an FFL who will accept shipments from non-FFL individuals.  RIF
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#19]
We are a B&M 01 with SOT.  We accept incoming transfers from anyone who can provide ID.  With 10-25 boxes a day, my staff don't have time to sort through them and look for "approved" shipments.  We do not provide copies of our license, except to other FFL's, but will do first 3 and last 5 for ez-chek.  Nice to get name and contact info for the recipient, but does not always happen.  Tell people all the time to get a tracking number, but most don't seem to get it. Repeated calls for "is my gun there yet" get old.  Check with your seller. Get a tracking number.  

Seller must include a copy of picture ID.  No exceptions. Gun gets partially logged if not included, but does not go out until all information is supplied.  Getting it here is between the buyer and seller.  I'm only doing one phone call, so get it right.  Only had a few asshats send bad ID, ( to small to read, or info blacked out, eyes blacked out, etc).  Gun stays here until it is taken care of.

We are not responsible for the condition of the firearm.  If its not as represented, or is not in the box, that's a buyer/seller issue.  If all the accessories are not there, its the same thing.  We have actually had more issues with other FFL's on swag missing than non-FFL"s.

This is not a hobby for us.  Its our livelihood.  Every transfer is a chance to put my license at risk.  We try to make it easy, but it has to be done right.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:01:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Okay.........when you go to The UPS Store to pick up that days deliveries, what might indicate that the box is from a "nonFFL" or an FFL?

99% of dealers/distributors/manufacturers do not use their name on the shipping label.....ie. you won't have a box marked Bud's Gun Shop or Palmetto State Armory.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but I'm talking only about non ffl sending to me.

If I wanna do a transfer for a customer of mine that's it. I guess if he don't tell me then I don't know.
But to say I'm Going to receive random boxes all the time isn't correct  

Obviously I'm gonna know of the stuff that I ordered. So I would keep track of those.

But I see everyone's point and everyone's answer.

I'm going to drop this now.

And worry about this crap when I have to.

Also what "Number1Gun" posted was my understanding of the situation as I thought was correct.

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If I wanna do a transfer for a customer of mine that's it. I guess if he don't tell me then I don't know.

Obviously I'm gonna know of the stuff that I ordered. So I would keep track of those.

Also what "Number1Gun" posted was my understanding of the situation as I thought was correct.

Thanks guys.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

OP...you are way over thinking this!  Relax...do your transfers and collect the cash!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

OP...you are way over thinking this!  Relax...do your transfers and collect the cash!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Well technically I wasn't overthinking. It was simply a curious question as to why people always post on ONLINE GUN FORUMS when selling firearms.
"Make sure your FFL will accept from an individual"

That was it. Turned into a giant mess tho. But I'm over it. Already took the advice U posted. Lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top